Blue (Paternal) and Red (Maternal) gender icons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fern
    replied
    Originally posted by margretbrandsnz View Post
    I have difficulty with several factors:
    A) the gender icons have the blocked symbol and I am now able to access the filters
    B) the New matches are accruing but I am not able to access them and the page goes to the bottom, automatically. The calendar function does not work, and the curso goes directly to the bottom of the page.
    C) I have had these access problems to filters since joining FTDNA.COM and I am bewildered.
    These problems sound very odd. Could it be a browser problem? I use Firefox and have never experienced anything like you describe.

Leave a comment:

• Fern
    replied
    Originally posted by Spencetop View Post
    None of my circles have a little purple dot on top of their picture to link with.
    The purple dot is a purple circle with a white "link" icon. But (as the first of KATM's references says) it only appears on one of the people on your tree if you have already linked them - e.g. they're in more than one place in your tree OR you once had them linked but later unlinked them.

ltd-jean-pull and prairielad have already sussed your problem You need to have cousins or aunts/uncles or parents tested, before you can make use of tree-linking and the resulting paternal/maternal tabs and icons. Even one would be a start - you'd then get one tab (and one of the sets of icons would show against some matches). Testing someone from both sides would be better ... and testing more than one from each side would be better still

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Originally posted by Spencetop View Post
    All,
    I have been with FTDNA for years. I have had myself, brother and a son of mine test with FF. I have today-again- checked my settings to Public, but cannot get the little red/blue maternal-paternal icons to come on. None of my circles have a little purple dot on top of their picture to link with.

Why? What am I doing wrong?
    Caroly
    If you have only linked yourself, brother and son in tree, your maternal and paternal icons will not activate, as you all share both your maternal and paternal sides.
    You need to link relatives that are solely maternal or paternal to populate maternal and paternal tabs

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    replied
    Caroly, the icons are not controlled by your privacy setting. Have you uploaded a .ged file (GEDCOM) for your family tree (the "myFamilyTree" in your FTDNA account), or created one manually there? Having a tree at FTDNA is required to have the maternal and paternal (blue and red) icons display in your Family Finder match list, as well as the tabs.

You need to review how to use it, so that the above will show in your match list.
    From the FTDNA Learning Center:
    Additional information on how to use and set up this feature, from other sources:
    "Family Tree DNA Introduces Phased Family Finder Matches," and "Additional Relatives Added to Phased Family Matches at Family Tree DNA," both by Roberta Estes

Leave a comment:

• ltd-jean-pull
    replied
    Have you linked any cousins to your tree Caroly?

The tabs will come on if you link known relatives out to third cousins who have tested and are a match to you at FtDNA. To do so you have to put them in your tree.

So say you have your paternal grandfather Morris tested, and Sarah (the grandchild of his sister Mary) is a match to you, you build your tree up to Morris, add Morris and Mary's parents in your tree, add Mary, then Sarah's parent and then Sarah (using the name she is using on FamilyTreeDNA). A hint should come up that she's in the database and it will ask if you want to link her.

I have my trees set to not show anyone living or born in the past 100 years, so if you're not quite sure of dates and don't have their permission to be seen in your tree then make sure you mark them as living. One of my cousins hasn't shown the same courtesy to her matches.

It can take a few hours to days but after a while anyone who shares any segments that you share with Sarah will be on your paternal blue tab.

I haven't added full siblings to the tree.
    Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 27 April 2018, 04:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spencetop
    replied
    I Cannot turn icons on.........

All,
    I have been with FTDNA for years. I have had myself, brother and a son of mine test with FF. I have today-again- checked my settings to Public, but cannot get the little red/blue maternal-paternal icons to come on. None of my circles have a little purple dot on top of their picture to link with.

Why? What am I doing wrong?
    Caroly

Leave a comment:

• margretbrandsnz
    replied
    Gender icons are not allowing access

I have difficulty with several factors:
    A) the gender icons have the blocked symbol and I am now able to access the filters
    B) the New matches are accruing but I am not able to access them and the page goes to the bottom, automatically. The calendar function does not work, and the curso goes directly to the bottom of the page.
    C) I have had these access problems to filters since joining FTDNA.COM and I am bewildered.

Leave a comment:

• prairielad
    replied
    Originally posted by lklaasen View Post
    On my sisters account (which I manage), it comes up with the red icon for her brother, even though it should be Both.

and on another match for her, Tom comes up with the red icon, when I have it marked on her tree for the paternal line.

What's happening?
    Maternal, paternal or both tab uses phased DNA (Raw DAta seperated into its maternal vs paternal value)

For siblings to share both tab, they need to share the same segment with two cousins(one maternal, one paternal) that have been linked to tree.
    Linked DNA is then phased maternal or paternal based on placement in tree (only segments over 9cM are phased)

Siblings share both maternal and paternal, but can not be used to phase DNA, as without a reference, you do not know whether shared DNA is maternal vs paternal.

For match (Tom) to come up as maternal, this would indicate that he matches a segment with another match you have linked to maternal side, thus indicating that either he or this other linked match shares both an ancestor from your maternal line as well as an ancestor from your paternal line.
    Or a match(or two) is linked incorrectly.
    Last edited by prairielad; 17 June 2017, 08:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• lklaasen
    replied
    Blue/Red markers

On my sisters account (which I manage), it comes up with the red icon for her brother, even though it should be Both.

and on another match for her, Tom comes up with the red icon, when I have it marked on her tree for the paternal line.

What's happening?

Leave a comment:

• mattn
    replied
    Originally posted by RicknTX View Post
    I've been using FTDNA for over three years now (for both Y-DNA and FF DNA matching) and I just recently discovered that when my sister lists her FF matches, her display includes little red human female icons next to each maternal match. There are no indicators (blue male icons) to reflect matches on her paternal side. Why would I not have those same indicators appearing on MY FF dna match listing?

Also, when listing FF dna matches what is the purpose of the four tabs at the top of the dna match list (ie, All, Paternal, Maternal, Both)? I can't drag and drop matches into the desired area so what is its purpose? I get the impression that when FTDNA matches our DNA against each person it should be displaying the (blue male or red female) icon next to that match's name, AND that they can each be selectable by us, dragged into the desired area, and ultimately sorted accordingly simply by clicking on the appropriate tab.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your sister has probably linked a 3rd or closer cousin or close family member from her maternal side to her family tree. Once she linked that DNA match to her tree it displays certain cousins that the algorithm determines are probably from that side of her tree. When you have some maternal and/or paternal designated matches you can then toggle between the tabs you mention to show the maternal and/or the paternal matches.
    Last edited by mattn; 14 June 2017, 12:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RicknTX
    started a topic Blue (Paternal) and Red (Maternal) gender icons...

Blue (Paternal) and Red (Maternal) gender icons...

I've been using FTDNA for over three years now (for both Y-DNA and FF DNA matching) and I just recently discovered that when my sister lists her FF matches, her display includes little red human female icons next to each maternal match. There are no indicators (blue male icons) to reflect matches on her paternal side. Why would I not have those same indicators appearing on MY FF dna match listing?

Also, when listing FF dna matches what is the purpose of the four tabs at the top of the dna match list (ie, All, Paternal, Maternal, Both)? I can't drag and drop matches into the desired area so what is its purpose? I get the impression that when FTDNA matches our DNA against each person it should be displaying the (blue male or red female) icon next to that match's name, AND that they can each be selectable by us, dragged into the desired area, and ultimately sorted accordingly simply by clicking on the appropriate tab.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Working...
X