Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get error when uploading ANcestryDNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Get error when uploading ANcestryDNA

    I get this error when trying to upload raw DNA file from AncstryDNA:

    The specified file 'dna-data-2017-05-13.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again.

    Any idea of what to do? Thanks for any help.

  • #2
    I received that exact same message yesterday and today after trying to upload my AncestryDNA results to a new account I just created. I was able to successfully upload the exact same file to gedmatch, so I'm not sure why it says it's the wrong format or corrupt. I was under the impression FamilyTreeDNA was able to accept Ancestry's new format that changed last year, as I was able to upload others from the new format.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hello,

      I sent an email to my manager to see what may be going on with this. I will let you know what I hear.

      -Darren
      Family Tree DNA

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, Darren.

        Originally posted by Darren View Post
        Hello,

        I sent an email to my manager to see what may be going on with this. I will let you know what I hear.

        -Darren
        Family Tree DNA
        Thanks, Darren.

        Comment


        • #5
          Same problem uploading Ancestry DNA to FTDNA

          Just for the record, I received the same error message when I tried to upload Ancestry raw DNA to FTDNA. Please fix this problem ASAP!

          Comment


          • #6
            It looks like there was an issue with certain files from Ancestry being too short in terms of not having all of the data normally included in the file. Re-downloading the data should correct this problem, but I cannot rule out that Ancestry has not changed something recently. If you still have the same problem after re-downloading please let me know.

            Has anyone received this same error with any recent 23andme transfer?

            -Darren
            Family Tree DNA

            Comment


            • #7
              I re-downloaded the a new raw file from Ancestry, and when I attempted to upload it to FamilyTreeDNA, it gives me the exact same error:
              "The specified file 'dna-data-2017-05-18.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again."

              The confusing thing for me is that I was successful at uploading the same file to gedmatch, so the file couldn't be corrupt if they were able to process it correctly.

              Comment


              • #8
                Exactly the same problem

                Originally posted by kevincmeade View Post
                I re-downloaded the a new raw file from Ancestry, and when I attempted to upload it to FamilyTreeDNA, it gives me the exact same error:
                "The specified file 'dna-data-2017-05-18.zip' could not be uploaded. The file is an unsupported version or in a corrupt/malformed format. Please place an order for Family Finder or download the file and try again."

                The confusing thing for me is that I was successful at uploading the same file to gedmatch, so the file couldn't be corrupt if they were able to process it correctly.
                I am having exactly the same problem - took the same actions, with the same results. I got my DNA results from Ancestry on 15th May 2017 if that is any help. No problem uploading them to Gedmatch.

                Update 10.55 GMT:
                I just downloaded my results from Ancestry again - in case something had changed since yesterday - and got the same error message uploading to FamilytreeDNA.
                Last edited by Ann H; 18th May 2017, 04:56 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Keeps happening with the same error.

                  Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  It looks like there was an issue with certain files from Ancestry being too short in terms of not having all of the data normally included in the file. Re-downloading the data should correct this problem, but I cannot rule out that Ancestry has not changed something recently. If you still have the same problem after re-downloading please let me know.

                  Has anyone received this same error with any recent 23andme transfer?

                  -Darren
                  Family Tree DNA
                  Darren, this same errors keeps happening, after 4 tries of downloading. I had no problem uploading the same file to GEDmatch.com. Thanks for any help.

                  John Hale

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Still not working...

                    Originally posted by Ann H View Post
                    I am having exactly the same problem - took the same actions, with the same results. I got my DNA results from Ancestry on 15th May 2017 if that is any help. No problem uploading them to Gedmatch.

                    Update 10.55 GMT:
                    I just downloaded my results from Ancestry again - in case something had changed since yesterday - and got the same error message uploading to FamilytreeDNA.
                    Update 19th May:
                    It is still not working - I just tried again. Please can someone from FamilyTreeDNA respond? Thank you.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you for your replies. I will provide this information to the management team. I don't know if this is an IT bug or if Ancestry changed the files recently so it is not compatible with the current system. I will let you know what I find.

                      I was wondering if this is only a problem with Ancestry or if 23andme transfers are having the same issue. If anyone has been receiving the error with 23andme please let me know.

                      -Darren
                      Family Tree DNA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I wonder whether Ancestry would deliberately change the file format in order to prevent free uploads to FTDNA? They already have the person's money. But they might do it just to cause headaches for FTDNA and ruin their customer image.

                        I know I'd like to invite a lot of Ancestry matches to transfer, but I won't do it because of the nightmare experience of transferring that people keep complaining about on this forum plus my own experiences with the shopping cart (that much is not Ancestry's fault).

                        But is it only the people who have tested most recently with Ancestry, or is it everyone? They would have to change all the files, not just the most recent ones, in order to have an impact.

                        I transferred my sister's results not long after FTDNA announced that they were accepting transfers, and I think I was able to view her match list within an hour or two. My big problem was the usual one with the shopping cart when I tried to pay the $20.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Same problem here since May 14. I have uploaded the same file with no problems to GEDmatch, MyHeritage, etc... I get the same error message here on FTDNA. I contacted cust service and they've been pretty much blaming Ancestry. I contacted Ancestry (even tho I know the problem is not with them) and they told me the problem is with FTDNA. don't like this blaming game... the replies I got from FTDNA make no sense at all, and wish they took this a bit more seriously. I'm gonna keep trying...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Annoyed

                            Having the same problem downloading/uploading failure. Why is this so hard to find out what is going on? I already waited 2 months to get Ancestry results, I need to get them in FTDNA also to continue my research.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It is working now!

                              Originally posted by Ann H View Post
                              I am having exactly the same problem - took the same actions, with the same results. I got my DNA results from Ancestry on 15th May 2017 if that is any help. No problem uploading them to Gedmatch.

                              Update 10.55 GMT:
                              I just downloaded my results from Ancestry again - in case something had changed since yesterday - and got the same error message uploading to FamilytreeDNA.
                              Thank you - I just tried uploading my ancestry DNA results again and it worked!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X