Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Get error when uploading ANcestryDNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I got it! I changed the file name and it uploaded fine....I don't know if that had anything to do with it or if they were having trouble on their end earlier but it worked either way.

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Npatt256 View Post
      Yes, I was receiving the other error, did a google search, and found this thread. Now the error is the file can not be uploaded.
      If you order Family Finder from FTDNA it will work and you'll get better matches than you will from the striped down version of the files from other companies. Or you could ask Ancestry to provide their data in their version 1 format.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
        The main minus for Ancestry is the fact you must pay a subscription fee to see all of the information about your matches. You can buy several Family Finder kits for the cost of their annual subscription. And you have to use their contact system to try to reach your matches because Ancestry doesn't provide their email addresses.
        I won't pay for a membership so I use Ancestry at my local public library to get around the paywall.

        Ancestry has many issues. The messaging system doesn't work properly and if my match hasn't signed in for over a year I am not going to get a reply.
        You can't bring up a public tree by the tree name, you need to know a name on the tree to view the tree.
        Search results are inconsistent and infuriating. People I have found in the past I can't find in a current search.
        Even with the correct name and dates I am shown everyone else other than the person I am searching for.

        Still, Ancestry has the most DNA test takers and is adding more every year than the other DNA companies.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
          Still, Ancestry has the most DNA test takers and is adding more every year than the other DNA companies.
          Having all of those matches who won't reply, have very poor trees, if they have one, and Ancestry's DNA information that lacks so much is really a big plus isn't it.

          Comment


          • Tool fix

            Fix worked for me - much thanks

            Comment


            • I was having this problem yesterday when trying to upload a relative's file. The new account was created, but it would not take the Ancestry file when I tried to upload it. Now, when logged into the new account, from the dashboard page I click on "DNA Test > Autosomal Transfer" and I get a page with this message:

              "Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to improve the quality and performance of our site.
              Please check back soon!"

              anyone else experience this?

              PS - I tried filling out the "Open a case" form, but I can't tell if the request went through. I press "Submit" and nothing happens - no success or error message. Either it's not going through, or I've spammed them about 20 times...
              Last edited by miri; 20th January 2018, 09:12 PM. Reason: adding the PS

              Comment


              • Originally posted by miri View Post
                I was having this problem yesterday when trying to upload a relative's file. The new account was created, but it would not take the Ancestry file when I tried to upload it. Now, when logged into the new account, from the dashboard page I click on "DNA Test > Autosomal Transfer" and I get a page with this message:

                "Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to improve the quality and performance of our site.
                Please check back soon!"

                anyone else experience this?

                PS - I tried filling out the "Open a case" form, but I can't tell if the request went through. I press "Submit" and nothing happens - no success or error message. Either it's not going through, or I've spammed them about 20 times...
                Did you use the mapmy23 Tool to convert ancestry file before you tried uploading to FTDNA?

                Comment


                • No, I've never had to do that in the past.

                  Even if I did that, I still wouldn't be able to upload a file since the Autosomal Transfer page is down. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by chrisbonisa View Post
                    Yeah I didn't notice the PM, but I've read and responded to it. I've built out a tool that seems to work 100%. The key to solving it is a combination of what I was doing before, filling in the blank template file of a working file with the data from the non-working one, but keeping the I's and D's from the template and not zeroing the entire thing and also filling everything in by position number instead of RSID, which is what I was doing the first go around.

                    I stuck it up on one of my websites where I'm doing some other DNA stuff, anyone can feel free to use it if they wish:

                    http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

                    If you do use the tool, please respond in here and let others know if it works or not. So far in my testing its working 100%, but the more people that try it the more we will know if this is a solution until FTDNA resolves it themselves.
                    I tried to use this tool, but I think a glitch happened in my original raw DNA file after it was altered with this tool. Not one of my Ancestry DNA matches were on FTDNA. None of my results even had my last name.. I've been working on uploading my Ancestry DNA to FTDNA for a month now with NO luck. I uploaded my fiance's and it worked just fine! I'm not sure what's wrong with my file.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by kaatiee34 View Post
                      I tried to use this tool, but I think a glitch happened in my original raw DNA file after it was altered with this tool. Not one of my Ancestry DNA matches were on FTDNA. None of my results even had my last name.. I've been working on uploading my Ancestry DNA to FTDNA for a month now with NO luck. I uploaded my fiance's and it worked just fine! I'm not sure what's wrong with my file.
                      Unless your ancestry matches also transfer, they will not be in FTDNA database, even then Ancestry V2 transfers only get partial matchlists due to the low number of shared SNP that can be compared between the two venders.

                      FTDNA tests over 700000 SNPS, Ancestry V2 transfers only contain around 400000 SNPs that can be used by FTDNA, thus FTDNA will only show matches between Immediate to 4th Cousin, no distant cousin matches...

                      Comment


                      • I heard from support.....

                        I got a reply from support. Seems we should start complaining to Ancestry.


                        Hello,

                        Thanks for contacting us. Unfortunately, Ancestry has changed their file format and the data appears to be incomplete, and so cannot be used by our own algorithms. Our algorithms are sensitive to any data changes, and small changes can make a huge difference in your results. We will never post results that we cannot stand behind with 100% confidence, and so at this time we will not be able to accept your transfer.

                        At first, we advised customers to contact Ancestry to have them regenerate new raw data files. This worked at first, but my understanding (from what I have heard from customers) is that they are now refusing to do so. Because the format is different, we are unable to accept new transfers at this time (it does not appear to be a full-scale change, as some customers are still able to upload their files).

                        Because this is our busiest time of year, and we are also making many changes and upgrades to our own tests, we do not expect to have a solution for at least a month or two into the new year. I apologize for the inconvenience.

                        Thanks,


                        Lyla
                        Information Specialist
                        Family Tree DNA

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by miri View Post
                          No, I've never had to do that in the past.

                          Even if I did that, I still wouldn't be able to upload a file since the Autosomal Transfer page is down. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this.

                          My matches wouldn't load for a while yesterday. It may have been at the same time the Autosomal Transfer page was down.

                          My matches are loading today.

                          Although you haven't had to convert your Ancestry file before in order to upload it to FamilyTreeDNA you may well have to now, due to changes that Ancestry have made in recent months.
                          Last edited by ltd-jean-pull; 22nd January 2018, 08:07 PM.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by marci View Post
                            I got a reply from support. Seems we should start complaining to Ancestry.
                            This issue has been discussed at length in this thread Marci, and the suggestion (in this thread) is that you try this tool to make your Ancestry DNA downloaded file compatible with FamilyTreeDNA.

                            http://www.mapmy23.com/tools/ancestry_ftdna_fix.php

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by ltd-jean-pull View Post
                              My matches wouldn't load for a while yesterday. It may have been at the same time the Autosomal Transfer page was down.

                              My matches are loading today.

                              Although you haven't had to convert your Ancestry file before in order to upload it to FamilyTreeDNA you may well have to now, due to changes that Ancestry have made in recent months.
                              I still just get a "we are down" message when I click on the Autosomal Transfer link.

                              https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

                              "Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to improve the quality and performance of our site.
                              Please check back soon!"

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by miri View Post
                                I still just get a "we are down" message when I click on the Autosomal Transfer link.

                                https://www.familytreedna.com/autosomal-transfer

                                "Our website is currently undergoing maintenance to improve the quality and performance of our site.
                                Please check back soon!"
                                Perhaps you need to clear your cache. The link works for me.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X