Gedcom upload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom upload

I'm on Family Finder as of today, and I thought I'd upload my gedcom, but when I try the page just whites out. I thought I'd put up a rudimentary tree, but weird things happen: it goes small, parts of it get whited out. I've tried it on two different browsers and it seems challenging if not impossible to work with. Is it always like this? Do people just not use a family tree at Family Tree DNA?

Is your message about the difficulty of uploading a GEDCOM, or about making use of it once is has been uploaded? If the latter, yes, the way FTDNA displays family trees has been a problem for a long time. I avoid using it as much as possible. It is just too difficult to navigate. Instead, I moved my data to GEDmatch, both DNA and GEDCOM, where the tools are more straightforward. The way a pedigree is displayed on GEDmatch is simple and efficient. It is text-based rather than graphical, with the result that everything loads quickly and legibly.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I guess I won't worry about the family tree there then, and put the GEDmatch number in a public profile, where there's a GEDCOM as well. Seems a shame the family tree doesn't really seem to work on the site, though.

Comment

GEDCOM Upload Problem

I thought I'd update my tree as the one initially uploaded was out of date. Deleted the old and have been trying to upload the new one to no avail. Anyone else having this issue?

Comment

I actually did manage to upload my gedcom. I'm not sure what changed though! Maybe contact support?

Marjorie

Comment

Thank you Marjorie, I'll give them a try.

Comment

Another option is to upload your GEDCOM to Rootsweb WorldConnect (free site), and add link to your profile here. One of my matches has done this, linking to his own profile in his Rootsweb tree, which is set to text-based pedigree view. The only problem with Rootsweb is that if you upload an updated GEDCOM later, the link won't work anymore. You can get around that problem, though, by providing the database name as well as the link. Db name stays the same, and people can always search for your tree by that.

Other free sites you might consider are Wikitree or FamilySearch's Family Tree, but Rootsweb trees are individually managed, not collaborative, and I find the format very user-friendly.

Comment

Thank you WCoaster with your suggestion to work with the Rootsweb and advice on setting up the link. I sure wish though that FTDNA would fix the issue with the failure of Gedcoms uploading.

Comment

Need for working, useable family tree format

I agree. We shouldn't have to resort to workarounds or referring matches to other sites. Until a couple of years ago FTDNA did have a simple, easily navigable pedigree format. But then there was a makeover, in a vain attempt to "keep up" with Ancestry...and ever since then, there have been endless glitches and complaints about the format.

People don't test or transfer here for a fancy tree format. They test here for specific segment data (including X chromosome) and the ability to add other tests - YDNA or mtDNA. They test here for the chromosome browser, matches in common, and the matrix.

I think most FTDNA customers would agree that we'd happily settle for the old pedigree display, which - because it was simple - worked so well.

Comment

Originally posted by WCoaster View Post
                    ... a vain attempt to "keep up" with Ancestry...

....They test here for specific segment data (including X chromosome) and the ability to add other tests - YDNA or mtDNA. They test here for the chromosome browser, matches in common, and the matrix.

...we'd happily settle for the old pedigree display, which - because it was simple - worked so well.
                    On your statements, true, true, yes!

Comment

Originally posted by MarjorieF View Post
                      Thanks for your reply. I guess I won't worry about the family tree there then, and put the GEDmatch number in a public profile, where there's a GEDCOM as well. Seems a shame the family tree doesn't really seem to work on the site, though.
                      Well, it's not like their name is Fam... oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X