Am I Greek or Sicilian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I Greek or Sicilian?

In regards to where my ancestors came from I was told by Family Tree's customer service that there is no way to tell with any current DNA test between having coming from Italy or Greece because the regions are too close in proximity. But I saw a science article(see below)that stated Sicily had 37% Greek DNA.

You didn't provide the link to the article. But that's precisely why a DNA test can't distinguish. The area is too mixed. The DNA is too much alike in Greece and Sicily. Now the test can tell you whether you're Greek or Chinese because those two areas didn't mix and the DNA is distinctive. They can't tell English, French and German apart either because that area is too mixed. They try, but most people who actually know where their ancestors came from get unsatisfactory results.

Comment

Originally posted by pumpkin View Post
      In regards to where my ancestors came from I was told by Family Tree's customer service that there is no way to tell with any current DNA test between having coming from Italy or Greece because the regions are too close in proximity. But I saw a science article(see below)that stated Sicily had 37% Greek DNA.

If you go to Gedmatch speadsheet results (e.g. for Dodecad or Eurogenes) you can compare Greek and Italian patterns. The Oracle results might indicate if you are closer to one of the countries. Caution, the Oracle results should be reviewed with a grain of salt.

Comment

Why do you want to know? Have you tried the traditional research methods? Finding documents to prove every step?

I'm a quarter Sicilian. I know that from research, not from my DNA tests. But Sicilians are themselves a mixture of different peoples.

Comment

My mother is 100% Sicilian and I get Greek results too. (I also get Bulgarian, Croation, Macedonian, Asia Minor, etc.). As mentioned, there has been a lot of admixture. We also get quite a bit of Scandinavian on her side. Sicily was a melting pot before the U.S.

Comment

Working...
          X