Linking Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking Problems

Hoping someone can help with this issue.

Problem #1 - I originally purchased a Y-dna test for my father. I have a log in for that kit and the test came through as one would expect except that it shows as linked on me. I thought I did it correctly but I'm his daughter and obviously didn't take a y-dna test.

Problem #2 - After my father's y-dna test was complete, I decided I wanted to do an mtdna test. So when I was logged into the y-dna kit, I purchased the mtdna kit. I then received an email that the kit was being processed even though I hadn't received a kit to do the swab. Then results showed up. I contacted support and they said that because I purchased the mtdna from the existing kit, they just ran my father's dna sample through the mtdna. They said I should have logged out of my kit and started a new kit order for my own mtdna. I didn't understand how they could get mtdna from my father's sample but they said that there is a way so would not refund my money or send a new mtdna kit to me so I have mtdna results from my fathers ydna sample which I don't understand and of course, they are linked to my name so it looks like it's my mtdna...but it isn't.

Problem #3 - I logged out of the above kit, ordered an mtdna kit which creates a completely separate log in. I did the swab and the results are in and it is linked to me so that is all fine. I then uploaded my ancestry autosomal test when logged into my fathers y-dna kit and the autosomal is showing linked to me there which is fine but I cannot upload it again to my mtdna account. I'd like to have it on both as the results would be helpful when narrowing down relationships.

Does anyone have ideas about cleaning up this mess? I can't find any place where I can re-associate a test with a person in the tree.

I'd prefer to have one account that shows the correct ydna attached to my father (and I guess his mtdna for whatever that is worth), my mtdna and autosomal attached to me. And in a perfect world, I'd love to be able to updload and attach my father's and sister's autosomal tests to them in family finder.

If I can't do this on this site is there another that allows us to consolidate and easily link tests from other sources to appropriate people in trees?

On FTDNA each person should have their own account - your dad's results should be on one account and yours on another. If your autosomal transfer and MT DNA are on different accounts just contact the helpdesk and they will be able to switch one over for you and amalgamate them.

Everyone has MT DNA, including males!

Comment

As mentioned you will have to contact FTDNA to correct.

You can either phone or open a request ticket
      https://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx

Your kit with Fathers yDNA and mtDNA results can be renamed by you by logging into kit and going to My Profile>Edit Contact info.
      This kit is already registers as Male if it has a yDNA test (sex of kit otherwise can only be changed by FTDNA)

But to transfer your autosomal from fathers account to your mtDNA account you will have to contact FTDNA.

Males can do all tests (yDNA, mtDNA and autosomal), Females can only do mtDNA and autosomal.
      mtDNA is passed on to children from their mothers, only daughters pass it on to their children. (not to be confused with the X chromosome)

Each person has to have a different kit. When ordering a test for that person, log onto their account and use the upgrade button, this ensures that you are ordering test for correct person as kit number is associated with which DNA sample is to be used.
      Last edited by prairielad; 26 February 2017, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Linking results on your tree

I had thought that you could link YDNA results from your brother (and thus your father) or at least show his results on your tree. I am the administrator on his test - and know his kit number. So how to I get that result to show up on my tree?

Comment

Originally posted by jude444 View Post
          I had thought that you could link YDNA results from your brother (and thus your father) or at least show his results on your tree. I am the administrator on his test - and know his kit number. So how to I get that result to show up on my tree?
          Can only link matches to tree, if brother only did yDNA and is not on your matchlist, then you can not link. You can list him in tree but he will not be linked.
          Believe only Family Finder matches can be linked into tree, one can list other, but not link unless they are on matchlist.

Comment

Working...
          X