Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Email system gone amok

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Email system gone amok

    For the past couple of weeks I have been receiving emails stating I have new matches on a couple of kits, then checking only to find no new matches. Nothing too unusual about that, it happens and I wait a few days, check again and voila!, there they are.

    However, today, I received an email saying a kit that was received Jan 19 and batched Jan 23, was "received today," and yada, yada, yada, as if it was completely new. I checked on the kit and it still shows "Awaiting results" and still in the same batch as before.

    What is going on with the email system? Am I to recheck in a couple of days only to find FTDNA has restarted this kit? I do not understand.

  • #2
    It seems at times their emails are not coming through on time. I've seen this with kits that have results but never received the emails about said results. Then later, days or over a week later, the email comes. Confusing of course, but I guess better late than never for those who don't keep up with their kits. So don't worry about it. Just a backlog of emails they finally got to for some reason.

    Comment


    • #3
      Got one of these delayed notifications today, for a FF kit originally received on Feb. 2, batched on Feb 6. The email was dated today (Feb. 12), and said the kit was received today.

      At least the name for the test taker was shown correctly in the email, even though the surname had been misspelled in the myFTDNA account, which I had corrected last week. I suppose the handwriting on the release form probably was hard to interpret for whoever entered it into the system.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
        It seems at times their emails are not coming through on time. I've seen this with kits that have results but never received the emails about said results. Then later, days or over a week later, the email comes. Confusing of course, but I guess better late than never for those who don't keep up with their kits. So don't worry about it. Just a backlog of emails they finally got to for some reason.

        The email today was the second email. I received the first one on time, last month. That's why it was bothersome to me. It made me wonder if there was a problem and did they contact the tester for a new sample. I think he would tell me if that occurred, though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hello,

          I have reported this to my manager so they can take a look at what is going on. I have seen several instances of the kit received email going out today.

          -Darren
          Family Tree DNA

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Darren for checking on this my cousin's kit had been their for 2 weeks and was batched last Wed and he just got the email yesterday. Saying his kit arrived no email saying his kit had been batched.

            Originally posted by Darren View Post
            Hello,

            I have reported this to my manager so they can take a look at what is going on. I have seen several instances of the kit received email going out today.

            -Darren
            Family Tree DNA

            Comment


            • #7
              I have almost never gotten an email from FTDNA on time. I honestly don't worry about it because I log in daily and check all the kits I manage.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Darren View Post
                Hello,

                I have reported this to my manager so they can take a look at what is going on. I have seen several instances of the kit received email going out today.

                -Darren
                Family Tree DNA
                Thank you Darren!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Renegade6008 View Post
                  For the past couple of weeks I have been receiving emails stating I have new matches on a couple of kits, then checking only to find no new matches. Nothing too unusual about that, it happens and I wait a few days, check again and voila!, there they are.

                  However, today, I received an email saying a kit that was received Jan 19 and batched Jan 23, was "received today," and yada, yada, yada, as if it was completely new. I checked on the kit and it still shows "Awaiting results" and still in the same batch as before.

                  What is going on with the email system? Am I to recheck in a couple of days only to find FTDNA has restarted this kit? I do not understand.
                  I have had this happen a number of times in the past for periods of varied length. It has started again a couple of weeks back at which time I emailed FTDNA back have not had a reply from them even to acknowledge receipt of my issue.

                  My biggest concern is that I could potential have a number of matches on Y-DNA marker tests and Big Y that aren't showing us as connected (neither myself or my match). Previous occurrences FTDNA responded stating that was not the case, but how can they say that if it is an unfixed IT issue??

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Darren View Post
                    Hello,

                    I have reported this to my manager so they can take a look at what is going on. I have seen several instances of the kit received email going out today.

                    -Darren
                    Family Tree DNA
                    Hello Darren,

                    just wondering whether or not you have heard anything back from your manager on this issue? Is it possible that some FTDNA testers are not seeing all of their matches in their database for Y-STR, Big Y and Family Finder tests?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hello,

                      I have not heard a specific reason. My guess it is due to delayed notifications going out, but that is a guess. They are working on a tool to track specifically which kits are generating the match notifications to better identify why this happens. I am sorry I do not have more information but I have brought it up with my manager again to try and get things moving along.

                      -Darren
                      Family Tree DNA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Darren View Post
                        Hello,

                        I have not heard a specific reason. My guess it is due to delayed notifications going out, but that is a guess. They are working on a tool to track specifically which kits are generating the match notifications to better identify why this happens. I am sorry I do not have more information but I have brought it up with my manager again to try and get things moving along.

                        -Darren
                        Family Tree DNA
                        Thank you, Darren.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Darren View Post
                          Hello,

                          I have not heard a specific reason. My guess it is due to delayed notifications going out, but that is a guess. They are working on a tool to track specifically which kits are generating the match notifications to better identify why this happens. I am sorry I do not have more information but I have brought it up with my manager again to try and get things moving along.

                          -Darren
                          Family Tree DNA

                          Thanks Darren. It appears that FTDNA management doesn't wish to address this issue since they have failed to provide you with an answer, nor have FTDNA management bothered to reply to any emails sent to them
                          with regard to this matter. Very unfortunate for all parties involved on many levels.

                          Peter

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X