Better tree program desperately needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better tree program desperately needed

I've been using FTDNA family finder for well over a year and have seen some changes in the way family trees are displayed. Unfortunately, the usability has gotten lots worse, not better. You used to be able to get the whole tree displayed for numerous generations on one screen, moving around by panning with the little hand. It could sometimes be awkward, but it was pretty fast. Now you have to choose pedigree and then use the little arrows to the right to get the earlier generations, and you have to do this for every person on the tree at about the fifth generation. Then you have to go back to the earlier screen (not with the browser back button, but by finding the obscure name at the bottom of the screen). To go through an entire tree takes forever. Not only that, but the profile screen for an individual ancestor doesn't work, and only the dates, not the places, are given on the pedigree tree. This is a terrible system--very discouraging to research. Add to this the fact that the website is excruciatingly slow, and it is not a system conducive to recommendations. Are there improvements in the works, and when will we see them? I strongly urge developers to try these out on actual users. The current mess is in no way intuitive.

I definitely agree that pedigree version back all the generations should never have been removed, and should be returned.

Comment

Originally posted by patshugar View Post
      I've been using FTDNA family finder for well over a year and have seen some changes in the way family trees are displayed. Unfortunately, the usability has gotten lots worse, not better. You used to be able to get the whole tree displayed for numerous generations on one screen, moving around by panning with the little hand. It could sometimes be awkward, but it was pretty fast. Now you have to choose pedigree and then use the little arrows to the right to get the earlier generations, and you have to do this for every person on the tree at about the fifth generation. Then you have to go back to the earlier screen (not with the browser back button, but by finding the obscure name at the bottom of the screen). To go through an entire tree takes forever. Not only that, but the profile screen for an individual ancestor doesn't work, and only the dates, not the places, are given on the pedigree tree. This is a terrible system--very discouraging to research. Add to this the fact that the website is excruciatingly slow, and it is not a system conducive to recommendations. Are there improvements in the works, and when will we see them? I strongly urge developers to try these out on actual users. The current mess is in no way intuitive.
      Sometimes it makes me want to yell at the screen: "Your name is literally 'Family Tree' -- Why does your family tree feature fail so miserably?"

Comment

I simply made up a basic bare to the bones pedigree tree over at Ancestry and downloaded that tree to FTDNA. I haven't touched or looked at my tree since then.

I rarely try to look at my matches trees unless I've seen a specific surname and location listed on our match list. Since the trees are cumbersome to use on a random search, they are a waste of time and effort. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend a person try to establish their main research tree at FTDNA.

Comment

I like the new pedigree view, but I don't see why the took away the old family view when they introduced the new pedigree view. Some like one some like the other, so have both like most other websites. Just make them fast, fast, fast!!!

However, I think the best place for your main research is your own computer, using a program such as RootsMagic, etc., with regular backups. Ancestry is good as far as easily attaching records, but never trust anyone else's tree there. Verify everything with primary documents. And what would happen if Ancestry were to decide to get rid of the tons of trash (mostly) trees and switch to a one world tree model? I don't think they will, but I believe your own computer is the best place for your tree. I have online backup and backups in my safety deposit box. But I've been researching for about 20 years, so it's not a temporary fad.

Comment

Working...
          X