Date format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Date format

The US date format is mm/dd/yyyy. The British format is dd/mm/yyyy.
    Would it be possible to specify a preferred date format and have that preference stored in one's profile?
    It could prevent some confusion.

I definitely have the forum dates as Day Month Year, but have never been able to set my project dates to the same.
    I really have to think about some of the dates in the US format. As do my UK/Aus/NZ project members. Not great for a "Global" membership.

Having the month as a Jan Feb Mar etc would be so more helpful.

Comment

FTDNA should use international date format: yyyy-mm-dd

Comment

No genealogist, whether genetic or not, should ever use dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy, because of the obvious possibility of confusion. Once someone has been confused by such a date, the error takes on a life of its own all over the internet, in places like Ancestry and FamilySearch. The tried and true method to prevent date confusion is to use the dd/mmm/yyyy format, with the month represented by 3 letters. This "best practice" is virtually foolproof, easy to grasp, and painless. I'm not making this up! Ask any experienced genealogist!

Comment

Originally posted by John McCoy View Post
          No genealogist, whether genetic or not, should ever use dd/mm/yyyy or mm/dd/yyyy, because of the obvious possibility of confusion. Once someone has been confused by such a date, the error takes on a life of its own all over the internet, in places like Ancestry and FamilySearch. The tried and true method to prevent date confusion is to use the dd/mmm/yyyy format, with the month represented by 3 letters. This "best practice" is virtually foolproof, easy to grasp, and painless. I'm not making this up! Ask any experienced genealogist!
          Having a truly international tree, I have found that 2016-12-23 format might not be in daily use for any our tree users/readers, but nobody (so far) claimed being mislead by it.

Using month abbreviation is second best, as those three letter abbreviations do differ between languages.

Mr W

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
            I definitely have the forum dates as Day Month Year, but have never been able to set my project dates to the same.
            I really have to think about some of the dates in the US format. As do my UK/Aus/NZ project members. Not great for a "Global" membership.

Having the month as a Jan Feb Mar etc would be so more helpful.
            I know that is an old thread, but after so many years it seems that the profile of the user accounts still use the odd format - mm/dd/yyyy.

That is irritating and I can't get used with it. Every time I see it - I feel like the website needs an upgrade. They should use letters for the month or allow us to use a different format

Comment

Working...
            X