Phenotype Feature Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phenotype Feature Request

A great feature that FTDNA could add to their service is a way to contact matches and ask them to do surveys. For example, one might want to ask all matches ( or matches on a certain DNA segment) whether they had a trait. The answers might be sorted by yes or no and by which DNA strand the matches were on.

This would be a highly useful feature for FTDNA to consider including.

FTDNA won't do this for any traits that have medical consequences.

They don't limit reporting of superficial traits like hair color.

Comment

Thank you for your reply Khazaria!

I was thinking more of being able to send survey questions directly to matches with results not being publicly disclosed. Answers could be provided anonymously.

Comment

Originally posted by khazaria View Post
        FTDNA won't do this for any traits that have medical consequences.

They don't limit reporting of superficial traits like hair color.
        I can see why, but it's a shame.

Hair colour isn't necessarily a superficial gene (shhhh....don't tell FtDNA). I've uploaded a kit to Promethease and the person carries a gene for red hair. Being a carrier increases your risk of melanoma, but by far less than if you were homozygous. They are very fair skinned so avoid the sun anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by DNAfinder View Post
          A great feature that FTDNA could add to their service is a way to contact matches and ask them to do surveys. For example, one might want to ask all matches ( or matches on a certain DNA segment) whether they had a trait. The answers might be sorted by yes or no and by which DNA strand the matches were on.
          OpenSNP has somewhat similar idea.

Comment

Working...
          X