Genetic Distance not much use now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genetic Distance not much use now

Since the changes to the Genetic Distance algorithm, the GAP Genetic Distance no longer works,. The limits for GD display are supposed to be

Y-DNA12: 3
    Y-DNA25: 10
    Y-DNA37: 20
    Y-DNA67: 40
    Y-DNA111: 80

Instead they seem to have reduced substantially to something like

Y-DNA12: 3
    Y-DNA25: 5
    Y-DNA37: 7
    Y-DNA67: 9
    Y-DNA111: 12

Which makes it fairly useless at the top end.

Can you please change the limits back to what is advertised, as I use this feature frequently.

Joe Flood, CORNWALL Geographical Project

I second the motion. The larger distance limits (available to project administrators and applicable only to their own project's members) were extremely useful in classifying new members. Now, I am forced to use the obsolete Ysearch database for this purpose, which isn't nearly as useful (partly because the creation of new Ysearch entries is now reportedly impossible).

Comment

GD

Would be nice to show more matches out to GD of 20 for the Y-DNA111 results
      currently I have no Y-DNA111 matches, but might if they went out to a distance of 20

Comment

Deliberate?

You think they have done this deliberately? As far as I know it is a bug that was introduced when they proudly announced they were using a better algorithm for GD a month or so ago. I'm not getting an intelligible reply from FTDNA so it's hard to say, but I hope it is a temporary bug.

I do have an Excel macro set up which does the job and a lot more, but it is always a nuisance to load everything into Excel

Originally posted by lgmayka View Post
        I second the motion. The larger distance limits (available to project administrators and applicable only to their own project's members) were extremely useful in classifying new members. Now, I am forced to use the obsolete Ysearch database for this purpose, which isn't nearly as useful (partly because the creation of new Ysearch entries is now reportedly impossible).

Comment

Working...
        X