Family Finder Known Relationship logic broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Finder Known Relationship logic broken

I have my DNA and my aunt's DNA uploaded in separate accounts that I control.
    I do a FF search under my account and find my aunt. I select 'Aunt' as known relationship and it becomes pending.
    I log in as my aunt and confirm the FF relationship as 'nephew' but that just throws a new pending request back to my main account.

What FF requires me to do is select the same relationship in both screens so now in both relationships it reads either 'aunt' or 'nephew'. This means that the focus of the relationship is different depending on which member you look at.

If I was to do the same with her brother I'd end up being my own uncle!

Please fix this nonsense so that the known relationship field references the account logged in, e.g. my aunt's account shows my name as being her nephew and my account shows her as being my aunt.

This has been a known issue for a very long time ...

Comment

Yes, discussed most recently in March: http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=39335

I guess all of us who complain about it need to open a help request, using the form here: https://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx (under "Support," click on "Open a request"), and select Bug Report. Be nice when you explain the problem.

I don't think we've heard from Darren about this issue, at least not recently. Maybe he will chime in?

Comment

A Solution!

This problem also came up in the DNA Newbies Yahoo! Group, and the solution below was posted a day or two ago. I tried it, and it seems to solve the problem (follow directions in the second paragraph):
        When you initiate by choosing someone’s relationship to you from the drop down box in your match list, they then get a request to accept
        this. But they must change that relationship from the dropdown box on their match list to what they are to you. So it will initially show what you set them at, which is what they are to you. They must then change this on their end to reflect your relationship to them.

There is sometimes an issue with this holding so the best way to review and accept someone’s relationship request is to go to the Known Relationships tab, choose Pending Relationships, and then change it there. Of course, if you are a cousin, then nothing changes. But when it is Aunt or Uncle, or Nephew or Niece, or anything with a gender attached to it, you will need to change the relationship on your end
        to reflect who they are to you.
        It worked for me, using the Known Relationships section. You must change the relationship to the proper one there. I hope this works for others.

Comment

Known Relationship = Who the matching person is to YOU

So, the answer (when it works) is that the Known Relationship is supposed to reflect who the matching person is to the you, when you are signed in to your own account.

So, signed in as ME, my aunt should show as AUNT

If I look at her account, signed in as HER, I should show as her NIECE.

The problem is, when you use the pending relationship page to confirm the relationship, and you CHANGE the relationship, it causes the other person to get a pending relationship message.

Comment

Originally posted by GalinAZ View Post
            So, the answer (when it works) is that the Known Relationship is supposed to reflect who the matching person is to the you, when you are signed in to your own account.

So, signed in as ME, my aunt should show as AUNT

If I look at her account, signed in as HER, I should show as her NIECE.

The problem is, when you use the pending relationship page to confirm the relationship, and you CHANGE the relationship, it causes the other person to get a pending relationship message.
            You have to change the relationship before you click Confirm on the pending relationship. If you change it before confirming it does not affect the other person. If you change it after confirming then the other person gets a pending relationship message.

Comment

That worked!

Thank you. So the process is:

1) In YOUR own account, chose how a match is related to YOU.
              This will generate a "pending" relationship message to that person that appears on their account.

2) When the matching other person sees the KNOWN RELATIONSHIP PENDING message when they are signed into THEIR account, they first click on the pull down menu to change the relationship to what YOU are to THEM and then click the confirm button.

It would be helpful if the instructions were put on the KNOWN RELATIONSHIP PENDING page, with an example.

Comment

Originally posted by GalinAZ View Post
                Thank you. So the process is:

1) In YOUR own account, chose how a match is related to YOU.
                This will generate a "pending" relationship message to that person that appears on their account.

2) When the matching other person sees the KNOWN RELATIONSHIP PENDING message when they are signed into THEIR account, they first click on the pull down menu to change the relationship to what YOU are to THEM and then click the confirm button.

It would be helpful if the instructions were put on the KNOWN RELATIONSHIP PENDING page, with an example.
                Yes, it would be helpful because it isn't at all intuitive. The website should have a function that determines that if I am a male and I set my aunt as such then I should automatically be shown as nephew when the KNOWN RELATIONSHIP PENDING message appears on her account. Until they fix it they need a link with instructions with screenshots.

Comment

Working...
                X