No announcement yet.

Most common names is useless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My dad's kit had a null surname as his most common...
    Really?..

Comment

Originally posted by BBA64 View Post
      My dad's kit had a null surname as his most common...
      Really?..
      For that you can only blame kit owners.

Mr W

Comment

There's a huge difference between FTDNA and 23andMe.

23andMe's results are based on the ANCESTRAL SURNAMES people have entered.

FTDNA's are based on the surname of the person who took the test. Useless in my opinion, for several reasons. One obvious one is that many women use their married name. And some people use names that have been changed, legally or just so they can't be identified online.

I intended to comment about results for my Family members, but all I get is "Houston, We Have a problem".

Comment

Listing of the family name at birth

Since the topic keeps coming up...

May I ask all the female readers to list their family name at birth, and later family names only when any of the following is true:
          • having children with that family name,
          • researching that family name,
          • being well know by that family name.
          Also please identify why any of the additional names is included .

Thank you!

Mr W

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
            Since the topic keeps coming up...

May I ask all the female readers
            Might as well include the men readers, who also keep trees and surname lists, and are probably as likely to list the women by married names as the female readers.

Comment

I have 14 screens of ancestral surname searched WILSON. Coincidentally, it is my second most common surname with 14. At least one of these matches pops up showing Wilson as a maiden name (or middle name). Going through the first 5 screens (50 matches), I encountered only two people, the one mentioned above and one other, with Wilson as any part of their kit name.

I considered removing my husband's surname from my kit name and his (his surname doesn't reflect his paternity), but decided against it considering my maiden name is shown in caps and I will get picked up in searches for it, and I have no other surname to "assign" to my husband's kit. It is clear that his surname isn't his biological surname, and I've not had any inquiries regarding that surname for either of us.

So, are we part of the problem?

Comment

Working...
              X