Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dad still missing 52 pages of Family Finder Matches - anyone else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad still missing 52 pages of Family Finder Matches - anyone else?

I'm wondering if others are still missing FF pages? My Dad currently has 52 pages missing! I know this because Darren told me he can see 60 pages when viewing Dad's FF matches. However, we can only see 8.

Both of us had our autosomal tests done at ancestry, which were later transferred to FTDNA. I administer all my Dad's kits on FTDNA. I currently have 134 pages of FF matches and, of course, Dad is the top one.

Interestingly, my FF Account History looks like this -

Kit
    Ordered 11/18/2013 Pay Now
    Sent 11/19/2013
    Received by Lab Pending

Apparently my next step is to look through the stacks and stacks of copies on my desk, looking for screen shot samples to provide FTDNA.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Originally posted by DmHagen View Post
    I'm wondering if others are still missing FF pages? My Dad currently has 52 pages missing! I know this because Darren told me he can see 60 pages when viewing Dad's FF matches. However, we can only see 8.

Both of us had our autosomal tests done at ancestry, which were later transferred to FTDNA. I administer all my Dad's kits on FTDNA. I currently have 134 pages of FF matches and, of course, Dad is the top one.

Interestingly, my FF Account History looks like this -

Kit
    Ordered 11/18/2013 Pay Now
    Sent 11/19/2013
    Received by Lab Pending

Apparently my next step is to look through the stacks and stacks of copies on my desk, looking for screen shot samples to provide FTDNA.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    I still have all my family finder pages, currently 122 pages, although not sure how a cM 20.6 helps my genealogical research.

My order history is as follows:

Ordered 02/19/2015 611
    Batched 02/25/2015 611
    Completed 03/25/2015 611

Hopefully they will do a sanity check (reload data) to see if the current results is correct or was the earlier one was incorrect.

Best wishes, K. L. Adams

Comment

Are you sure that you aren't inadvertently blocking speculative matches?

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Timothy Peterman - perhaps you could tell me how I would do that.

Most Common Surnames:
        2Daniel
        2Myers
        1Ruddick

Relations: Show All Matches
        Sort By: Relationship Range
        Name:
        Ancestral Surnames:

Show Full View

Thanks.
        Last edited by DmHagen; 24 June 2015, 08:10 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

blocking speculative matching is done in your privacy settings under match and email settings.

Note if matches have changed their settings to hide Speculative, they will disappear off your list also.
          But I don't think 52 pages worth of matches would do this...

Go to advanced matching and select Family Finder only, and run report.

once report is finished, click on the Family Finder column to sort, click column until you get the arrow pointing down. This will show you all your matches that have privatized their results first on list(Shows only their last name and relationship range, and haplogroups)

You have to manually count them, but how many are listed with their names in Grey instead of Blue? (might want to change page view to show 500 matches)

Comment

I was told today that the Family Finder matches should now be restored. If anyone is still missing any matches please let me know or fill out the contact form. These will need to be addressed on a per case basis.

-Darren
            Family Tree DNA

Comment

Family Finder Matches & Email Notifications - all checked yes. I counted 83 Grey instead of Blue matches.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

I had the same issue with one of the kits I manage.
                I reported it through Facebook message because the phone queue was hideous and it seems half the contact form messages get 'lost'
                The reply via Facebook was this:
                "Good morning Jim - I have confirmed that there is a bug affecting this kit (and many others) that IT is working on fixing. I have reported yours as an example - I think it is actually a breakthrough kit, so a big thanks for bringing it to our attention. I hope we'll get this fixed for you very soon!"

A week later, I went a head and submitted a contact form message asking for an update, and again describing the problem, 3 days later I got this reply:
                "Thank you for contacting Family Tree DNA. This was an issue with your settings. You turned off speculative matches. This removed your most distant Family Finder matches. I turned it back on and you now show 133 pages of matches. I apologize for any inconvenience."

--- I had not turned off speculative for that kit, or for any of the others I manage for that matter. If it was off it was not done by me, I had no reason to do so, and have not gone back in the panel since I set up that account.
                I don't know which person was telling me the truth, if either of them, but I do finally have the matches back. I just wish they would be a little more honest and forthcoming about the issues.

Comment

I have noticed down through the years of watching matches appear in Family Finder that some of the more distant ones will suddenly disappear. I then feel compelled to re-align my spreadsheets, because I had assumed that Family Tree DNA tweaked the database. Then a few months later, they would re-appear.

Turns out the problem is the match toggling speculative or distant matches off & back on.

I made a suggestion to Family Tree DNA that when they do this, the row for the match in the database should be retained. Instead of the match just disappearing, I would see a message like "Customer has turned off speculative matches". The date & cm count would still be displayed.

This would tell me that this was a customer tweak & NOT a tweak of the database administrators. Under these circumstances, I wouldn't re-align the spreadsheet.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                    blocking speculative matching is done in your privacy settings under match and email settings.

Note if matches have changed their settings to hide Speculative, they will disappear off your list also.
                    But I don't think 52 pages worth of matches would do this...

Go to advanced matching and select Family Finder only, and run report.

once report is finished, click on the Family Finder column to sort, click column until you get the arrow pointing down. This will show you all your matches that have privatized their results first on list(Shows only their last name and relationship range, and haplogroups)

You have to manually count them, but how many are listed with their names in Grey instead of Blue? (might want to change page view to show 500 matches)
                    Thanks for these instructions. I had never thought about checking for Family Finder matches who had turned off matching and were not showing up on my normal match list.

I followed your instructions for using the Advanced Matches list to see how many Family Finder matches I wasn't seeing. It's only 11, but then I only have 3 pages of matches that I can see and contact.

I did notice that one of the 11 anonymous ones is in the 2nd to 4th cousin range. Also, this match's surname is the surname of one of my known 2nd cousins, twice removed, who also tested at 23andMe.

Since his wife, who's been very cooperative with me on genetic genealogy, administers his DNA testing, I don't think the hidden 2nd to 4th cousin in Family Finder is him. But it may be one of his siblings or one of his parents. If it's one of his parents, that person would be a 2nd cousin, once removed, with whom I'd probably share several significant segments that I don't share with my 2nd cousin, twice removed.

Has anybody found a way to get in contact with these matches who've turned off matching? It would be very helpful for both of us to be in contact, but this match may not realize that he's turned off the ability for a 2nd to 4th cousin to contact him.

Comment

Working...
                    X