The new "Search For Relatives and Projects" box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The new "Search For Relatives and Projects" box

Why is it that I search for relatives and I'm coming up with people who aren't my matches? I don't want to see family trees of people that aren't in my match list.

Originally posted by Carla View Post
    Why is it that I search for relatives and I'm coming up with people who aren't my matches? I don't want to see family trees of people that aren't in my match list.
    Once you get the list of matches from searching in the right-top box, take a look at the left side of the page.

Click on Advanced Search there. Then select the DNA Matches Only box. Repeat your search.

Enjoy!

W. (Mr.)

Comment

Duh... thank you!! I love this new feature! Makes my life a little easier...

Comment

Missing projects

So I do a search and it returns that there is a project 7 members (Utt or utz). I click on that project and get the default project page. It is empty. No listed about menus. No test results. A total blank. So 7 members in a project should provide a useful set of pages.

Yet another fruggin' problem with an incomplete design concept.

Comment

Originally posted by wkauffman View Post
          So I do a search and it returns that there is a project 7 members (Utt or utz). I click on that project and get the default project page. It is empty. No listed about menus. No test results. A total blank. So 7 members in a project should provide a useful set of pages.

Yet another fruggin' problem with an incomplete design concept.
          I do not think any project has a publicly available member list.

If, and only if, the project administrator(s) decided to share the results, you might see anything, but not necessarily members names, as project administrators have the following four Display Options: (for Display Name)
          • Member's Last Name
          • Most Distant Ancestor
          • Member's Last Name and Most Distant Ancestor
          • None

W. (Mr.)

Comment

DNA Matches only bug via GAP

Originally posted by dna View Post
            Once you get the list of matches from searching in the right-top box, take a look at the left side of the page.

Click on Advanced Search there. Then select the DNA Matches Only box. Repeat your search.

Enjoy!

W. (Mr.)
            I have several family members tested whose kits I handle as well as a Family Project to which all of those kits are members. I always log in to my GAP acct and then select the kit I want to view.

Playing with the new feature this morning with my great aunts kit. I didn't notice until I tried your suggestion above to narrow the search to only those kits that she matched, which then brought up zero matches. I looked up in the right hand corner & realized it was displaying my name & not my great aunts.

I tried searching again from her kit and found that it changes to my name after I hit search.

I tried a few more kits from my project & in every case, the results are showing as if it were my kit and not the project members.

From an admin. standpoint, this feature will be useless in it's current state, but could be valuable if fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by lindab View Post
              I have several family members tested whose kits I handle as well as a Family Project to which all of those kits are members. I always log in to my GAP acct and then select the kit I want to view.

Playing with the new feature this morning with my great aunts kit. I didn't notice until I tried your suggestion above to narrow the search to only those kits that she matched, which then brought up zero matches. I looked up in the right hand corner & realized it was displaying my name & not my great aunts.

I tried searching again from her kit and found that it changes to my name after I hit search.

I tried a few more kits from my project & in every case, the results are showing as if it were my kit and not the project members.

From an admin. standpoint, this feature will be useless in it's current state, but could be valuable if fixed.
              Yes, that is broken.

I think FTDNA does not realize that there are at least two distinct types of projects.

The more famous ones are investigating haplogroups or populations of specific regions. Administrators of such projects are seldom given full access to the kits.

Then there are family (or clan) projects. Administrators there tend to get full access to at least some of the kits and are truly managing them on behalf of their 99-year old uncle or grandmother, who are often very keen on genealogical research, but just do not have stamina to fight browsers quirks, site updates, page glitches etc. Somebody at FTDNA probably did not think about that group of administrators at all. And the issue does not have a trivial solution of logging into the account in question. I just happen to have always four (4) browsers handy, so I could look at the project pages and three members at the same time, but that is not what I would like to continue doing.

W. (Mr.)

P.S.
              Why four? IE comes bundled, but is not my favourite. I use two, so I can have them devoted to very different tasks and not impacting one another. I keep the fourth one for compatibility/glitch/update testing.

Comment

I found the exact same problem last night shortly after this yet another flubbed roll out of something not ready!

Since the new roll out yesterday, Safari on an iPad totally freezes and scrolling down through my large 600 plus member list is impossible.

Missing kit numbers when in the Group Adm page is a huge problem. Wastes so much time having to toggle between member list and kits.

I am so tired of all these "bells and whistles" when the ship is sinking and we can't even get DNA results in a reasonable time period. I have one gal who has been waiting a full year for an mtDNA full sequence test (and yes I have reported it). Waiting 3 and 4 months for Y-DNA tests, then the matching doesn't work to show his actual matches (reported that also and no responses). Now get a result on one of the new SNP packages on G haplogroup and it shows a terminal SNP but also shows him positive for a SNP way outside and downstream that is not possible. Unless of course their haplotree is wrong which looks like is the case.

I am ready to throw in the towel and would have months ago except for the loyality I have toward my great project members. I keep hoping someone at FTDNA will right the ship that seems to be sinking and get back to being the giant in DNA testing that it was "back in the good ole days." Quit trying to emulate Ancestry and its mess of wrong family trees.

From an admin. standpoint, this feature will be useless in it's current state, but could be valuable if fixed.[/QUOTE]
                Last edited by TurnerAdm; 15 April 2015, 08:06 AM.

Comment

The new "Search For Relatives and Projects" box

Would it be possible to add to the advance search menu to be able to search by Haplogroup? It would really make easier to find matches to your own family branch. Searching by name is great but if you are adopted and don't know what surname to search by this might help.

Comment

"DNA matches only" search results...

Personally, I don't really think this "new, improved" search is going to be useful, since I doubt it will encourage folks to upload their gedcoms and make them public. I agree with a previous poster who thinks FT-DNA should stay out of the family-tree business. I believe their resources could be put to better use elsewhere.

However, I gave it a try, just to see how it works. If the feature is going to stay...

Please provide an "ignore these people" option? Or perhaps a way to sort the results by name of match? Or display the matches' names?

I've been diligent... I've uploaded public trees for (almost) all the kits I manage. The "DNA matches only" is a good option, but my search-results list is flooded with known relatives' trees. And it seems the name of the match to whom a tree belongs isn't displayed unless one takes the time to actually view the tree. For those who might not be aware: this is extremely time-consuming.

If I could exclude particular names (or at least sort the results), I expect my search result list would dwindle from 449 to much fewer and (possibly) a more useful list... with the possible exception of the ones I cannot view unless I'm a DNA match.

<I will reserve comments about the waste of space on the results pages.>

just sayin',
                    k.

Comment

one more thing....

Regarding the "DNA matches only" results:

Are these matches for FF? Y-DNA? mt-DNA?

k.

Comment

I posted this in the Announcements & New Feature section, I realize I may have posted in the wrong place so I'll re-post here:

I noticed that when I click box for DNA matches only and search my surname the only thing that shows up are several: "Private Family Tree - You need to be a DNA match to see this result." Does this mean I am not a match to these individuals, even though I clicked the DNA matches only?

Comment

Having "DNA matches only" checked by default would be handy.
                          k.

Comment

Also (and I could be wrong about this), it seems you must use the link in the announcement-email in order to have the kit's name displayed in the search-results list.
                            "Click here and set your family tree permissions to "Public" for increased visibility."

I've been playing with 4 of our kits. Even though I checked to see that the settings were "Public", the donor's name did not display until after I used the link. Until then, it only displayed as "Private Member's Tree".

<shrug>
                            k.

Comment

I keep getting blocked trees that say I must be a DNA match to view, despite having narrowed the search field to DNA matches only. This is frustrating, because several of these surnames are at what have been genealogical dead ends for me, and there is no way to contact the person whose tree/profile is blocked.

Comment

Working...
                              X