• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulanthony1976
    yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
    • Aug 2013

URGENT - PROJECTS SECURITY BREACH

Today I logged into my small project (ten members only) and was shocked by what i found!

When navigating to the "Public Results Display Settings" tab it redirects me to someone elses project page wiith "open access" to 17 pages of that projects members personal and genetic data!

DISGRACEFUL!!!

Admins, please check this link in your projects now! Please post here if your project has this error too, and please report it immediately to FTDNA as i have already done also!
    Last edited by paulanthony1976; 7 February 2015, 04:55 AM.
  • paulanthony1976
    yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
    • Aug 2013

Azores Islands Portugal DNA Project

Anyone who is an admin of the Azores islands Portugal DNA Project. I currently have unfettered access to all your members personal and genetic data via my Jubbie Genealogy project as mentioned in my urgent warning above!

Comment

• AngeliaR
      mtDNA: H31a | Y-DNA: R-L21
      • Apr 2006

Same Issue

My projects appear to be ok for now, but I read about this on the Y-DNA Project Administrators group on FB. A couple of the folks who posted had also contacted FTDNA. The first post is stamped for 8:25pm(EST) last night.

Hope they get this fixed soon. Kinda scary.

Comment

• paulanthony1976
        yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
        • Aug 2013

Obviously, the main issue I have is contacting FTDNA directly and urgently about this.
        Their customer service phone number is closed until 9am on Monday morning,and I have not yet had any response to the several emails that I have sent them about it. I presume they wont get read by anyone until Monday morning.
        Of course by that time, it will be too late, FTDNA will have given unauthorized people 48 hours free access to other peoples personal and genetic information.
        UTTERLY UNACCEPTABLE!
        Last edited by paulanthony1976; 7 February 2015, 05:53 AM.

Comment

• LynCra
          FTDNA Customer
          • Sep 2011

Have you tried sending messages directly to Elise and Darren?

Comment

• paulanthony1976
            yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
            • Aug 2013

Well, I have emailed Bennett Greenspan directly, and also sent emails to Janine Cloud and Michelle Fielder, if they do not reply then what else can a person do!

Comment

• paulanthony1976
              yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
              • Aug 2013

done all that I can, out of my hands

Okay, I have now also PM'd both Darren and Elise, so lets wait what if anything transpires next

Comment

• andbro
                FTDNA Customer
                • May 2012

Its happening on my Gap account too.

If I can see 800 of other peoples accounts then they can see mine.

is there a way to disable my account?

Comment

• jbarry6899
                  FTDNA Customer
                  • Jun 2012

I am not seeing anything different. I have always been able to access other members' matching information and profiles from GAP pages. Administrators cannot download raw data but otherwise can review and analyze members' information.

What are you seeing that is new?

Jim

Comment

• rivergirl
                    FTDNA Customer
                    • Jul 2006

It doesn't seem to matter which of my projects I log into, I get the same "other" project pop up when I am in "Public Results Display Settings"

This seems to be the only page that is behaving this way.

Another glitch by FTDNA, which are getting more frequent and do not inspire confidence.

Comment

• rivergirl
                      FTDNA Customer
                      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by jbarry6899 View Post
                      I am not seeing anything different. I have always been able to access other members' matching information and profiles from GAP pages. Administrators cannot download raw data but otherwise can review and analyze members' information.

What are you seeing that is new?

Jim
                      Jim, when I log into my GAP I expect to see the projects I admin, not another project with their members information.

If you go to 'Project Admin", then 'Public Results Display settings', you will probably notice that you have about 5 pages of members information, that does not belong to your project.
                      Portugal seems to be the main maternal/paternal country.
                      These are certainly not anything to do with the members in any of my projects.

Comment

• paulanthony1976
                        yDNA=R-A5000, mtDNA=T2b.
                        • Aug 2013

I am glad to discover that I am not the only one experiencing this problem then, At first I could not believe my eyes and thought I was seeing things!

There are only ten members in my project so suddenly be presented with 13 pages or 800 members data was a bit shocking to say the least!

The problem is the "Public Results Display Settings" tab.
                        It takes me to "the Azores Islands & Portugal DNA project" rather than to my own project data.

I have emailed the admins of this project to let them know that their has been serious data protection and security breach of their members personal information and genetic data.

It is hard enough to get people to find prospective project members, and even harder to convince people to test their DNA. This sort of problem does not exactly inspire me or them with the necessary confidence in Family Tree DNA!

AND STILL NO RESPONSE FROM ANYONE AT FAMILY TREE DNA ABOUT THIS SERIOUS ISSUE?
                        DOES ANYONE AT FTDNA WORK ON WEEKENDS?
                        DO THEY HAVE AN OUT-OF-HOURS EMERGENCY TELEPHONE NUMBER?
                        GRRR...
                        Last edited by paulanthony1976; 7 February 2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

• jbarry6899
                          FTDNA Customer
                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post
                          If you go to 'Project Admin", then 'Public Results Display settings', you will probably notice that you have about 5 pages of members information, that does not belong to your project.
                          Portugal seems to be the main maternal/paternal country.
                          These are certainly not anything to do with the members in any of my projects.
                          Yes, I am seeing that too. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

• LynCra
                            FTDNA Customer
                            • Sep 2011

I am also seeing it. From rivergirlĀ“s description probably the same 5 pages that she is seeing.

Comment

• suttonwho
                              FTDNA Customer
                              • Nov 2013

I am also seeing 5 pages of Portuguese folks.

Comment

Working...
                              X