Are your matches disappearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are your matches disappearing?

This may be a bigger problem than anyone realizes... The slick new format combined with enhanced delivery of email notifications has created some unintended confusion.

Email notifications are tied to whether or not you can see each other in the match list. If you don't want email notification for distant or speculative matches, and opt out, you are also removing them from your match list and blocking them from seeing you too.

See attached screen shots.FTDNA email settings.jpg

I don't think people understand that when they click that "No" button, they may be losing existing matches as well as potential new ones. Thank goodness it's reversable and you can opt back in by clicking "Yes" once the issue is discovered.

The only way to get this on the "fix" list is to create user awareness and give feedback to FTDNA.

Match settings and email notifications have always been tied together -- since the very early days of FTDNA. However, the description of these settings was not very clear.

We've just updated the descriptions on the Match & Email Settings page to clarify that the primary purpose of these settings is to control which matches you see, and they will affect email notifications too.

Elise

Comment

Always, Never, and Now

LOL!

"Because we've ALWAYS done it that way!" :-)

Maybe it's time for a second look. And, here's why...
      When the email notifications were fixed, it created a whole new issue that was previously unknown.

For example: I NEVER received notifications of new matches before. Ever. NOW I get one for every level of match for every family member I sponsor and help. NOW in order to further family research for those I help, I have no choice but to receive multiple "annoying" emails.

I question that the description is the core issue, though it probably contributed since the writing is so small and likely to be overlooked. Without really assessing function impact, use and underlying reasons, changing the phrasing is simply a quick fix band-aid.

The issue is simply this:
      Should email notification of matches be linked to the ability to see matches?

I vote no, but that's just me. :-)

Comment

I also vote no. I don't want the emails, but I don't want to eliminate anyone from my match list. I think it's silly to tie these things together with a single setting. I have lost several matches lately as an unintended consequence of people trying to turn off emails.

Comment

So, there are two separate things that just happened:

1) Email notifications were revamped, and part of that included adding notifications for Distant matches in FF.

2) Description of match/email settings updated for clarification. I personally pushed for this because of all the confusion that I was seeing here on the forum and elsewhere regarding FF matches disappearing.

The funny thing is, the FF match/email settings work exactly the same way as the Y-DNA and mtDNA match/email settings always have. However, while no one ever complains about not seeing their 12-marker or HVR1 matches (the most common levels to disable), people started complaining about not seeing their Distant and Speculative FF matches So it suddenly became very obvious that people weren't understanding these settings.

Elise

PS. FWIW, I personally would also like to see email notification settings separate from match settings. However, it's a complex task since they're so intertwined right now, and it hasn't been considered a priority.

Comment

What's the difference?

I am assuming this information from the 11/21 GAP Newsletter describes the change we are seeing in notification deliveries. "We moved notifications to a third-party platform that allows us more flexibility in editing, and has a higher delivery rate (meaning fewer notifications get labeled as junk mail." More notifications are now going through and being seen. In the past, we were blissfully unaware of what we were missing. :-)

Changing the description yet again may help. And it is a good interim fix, while the underlying programming issue is being addressed. The notation needs to jump off the page so people aren't as likely to skim past the message - larger font, bright red, bold, direct phrasing.

The difference between Y12, HVR1 and FF distant matches is the time frame. There is a possibility that distant matches on FF could hold "real" genealogical clues for some of our mysteries. That is less likely with Y12 or HVR1. Heck, even exact matches at the higher levels of ydna and mtdna testing may not provide common ancestry within the periods we typically work with.

Comment

Plus side of notifications

On the positive side, I am getting more contacts and inquiries from matches than I have received in a long time. :-) A couple of them even mentioned having received a note they had new matchs.

So maybe a temporary increase in notifications is a good thing.

Comment

Since I am only connected to two tests, being notified that I have a new FF match isn't all that bothersome. I do with those e-mails the same thing I do with Y-DNA and mtDNA match notices, I check the delete box and eliminate them en masse.

The next time in check in here, I go through matches and see what's new.

Comment

e-mail notifications

I haven't changed anything for the 12 or so accounts I paid for and handle, yet my spam box has become full of messages from FTDNA telling me I (or they) have new distant relatives.

I know there are always new matches, I have the several accounts and a Family Project with over 60 members. I check in almost daily on my personal accounts, update the project info monthly.

I don't repeat, DON'T need notification of every new match, esp, if they are distant matches.

Perhaps FTDNA is trying to get those who have lost interest in their matches to regain interest, but I for one have never lost interest.

This will go the same way as the improved family trees. I'm not about to go and update manually all the trees for each of the individuals I handle. I've updated my personal tree on my computer and would rather submit a new gedcom for each...

Not sure where to turn on this one, but am growing weary of the messages from FTDNA about "Distant" matches

Linda

Comment

No mail notification

I manage two kits and although I have all boxes for notifications signed with check marks, I never got a mail from FTDNA. I wonder why?

Within the last two months I got new distant matches and no notification for Family Finder, just for my mtDNA matches...

Has anybody an idea what I could do besides writing a mail to customer service?

Thank you,
                    Petra

E10388

Comment

Elise, no, we do not like being removed from Y-DNA 12 and HVR1 matches, however there was no choice, ever...

To everybody reading this thread, please also consider adding your opinion to the thread
                      Enhancement: separate notifications from privacy

here in this sub-forum.

Thank you - W.

Comment

@Petra

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                        I manage two kits and although I have all boxes for notifications signed with check marks, I never got a mail from FTDNA. I wonder why?

Within the last two months I got new distant matches and no notification for Family Finder, just for my mtDNA matches...

Has anybody an idea what I could do besides writing a mail to customer service?

Thank you,
                        Petra

E10388
                        There was an issue (there were issues?) with the e-mail delivery system used by Family Tree DNA. FTDNA has just moved to a new e-mail delivery system last week, and you might be seeing the e-mails from now on.

W.

P.S. It is also possible that somehow either your ISP or your e-mail provider have blocked all the e-mails from the domains
                        • @ftdna.com
                        • @familytreedna.com

Comment

I manage 10 kits for yDNA, mtDNA and FF.
                          I rarely get any emails about matches in any test.
                          I Admin and Co Admin 5 projects, yet have never received the GAP newletter.

Comment

Working...
                          X