Houston...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston...

While trying to run an ICW on a match, or trying to look at a Chromosome Browser, I get Houston errors for both. I tried rebooting my computer and using two different browsers, IE and Chrome. None of these actions corrected the problem.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Brent

Does that happen with any match or just one (or a few) in particular ?

W. (not a support person...)

Comment

I've been having the same (or similar) problem the past few days: if I search on a last name and then try to do an ICW on one of the persons that's listed, I get the Houston error.

If I just find that person in my list of matches (very tedious when you have well over a thousand), ICW works just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Katydid View Post
        I've been having the same (or similar) problem the past few days: if I search on a last name and then try to do an ICW on one of the persons that's listed, I get the Houston error.

If I just find that person in my list of matches (very tedious when you have well over a thousand), ICW works just fine.
        I've been having the exact same issue.

Comment

I have had this issue with my newest match in the last 2 days.

Comment

So annoying. This has happened the last couple days. I've tried two different browsers.

As much as this company is making they need to increase their output strength!!!

They can't keep up on days that new matches are posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
              So annoying. This has happened the last couple days. I've tried two different browsers.

As much as this company is making they need to increase their output strength!!!

They can't keep up on days that new matches are posted.
              It could be some overload, but it looks to me more like a bug.

The bug is also present when trying Not In Common With.

W.
              Last edited by dna; 13 November 2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                It could be some overload, but it looks to me more like a bug.

The bug is also present when trying Not In Common With.

W.
                Don't think so because I am on here everyday. It happens only on days when new matches come in.

They either need to upgrade their servers or it's intentional because the processing hasn't completed ie new matches reported and the final process for icw hasn't been fully processed.

Comment

@Tenn4ever

As you observed, probably some tables or indices are being (re)built each time new results are released.

Would dumping more hardware (i.e. fighting the overload) help? It would not be cheap to get hardware that is an order of magnitude faster, so that route is seldom recommended. Thus to me it is a bug and either a better algorithm that is an order of magnitude faster should be used (likely easier said than done) or the new results should be released only after their processing had been completed (possibly only mildly difficult).

In Real Life, procedural changes trump hardware investments .

For example, I am imagining that for resiliency reasons FTDNA has at least two systems: primary and backup. Some companies make changes in the backup system and only after they are completed and the system passes flawlessly functionality tests, the systems are exchanged in the function. That also makes it quite simple to revert back to the old system during next X hours, if for whatever reason there is a need to do so. Not having something like the above setup or better is a design flaw = bug

W.

P.S. You are of course entirely right. That is annoying and should be fixed by FTDNA.
                  Last edited by dna; 13 November 2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Same issue with my kits for the last 2 days !

Comment

It's been reported elsewhere that the ICW feature fails if you have used the Search feature to get the starting name. If you locate the name another way (i.e. scrolling), the ICW tool still works.

Comment

Originally posted by Ann Turner View Post
                        It's been reported elsewhere that the ICW feature fails if you have used the Search feature to get the starting name. If you locate the name another way (i.e. scrolling), the ICW tool still works.
                        I've discovered that too. However, scrolling through a over a hundred pages of matches to locate the one person you are searching for to apply the icw is very time consuming.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
                          I've discovered that too. However, scrolling through a over a hundred pages of matches to locate the one person you are searching for to apply the icw is very time consuming.
                          Right -- it's more of a clue for the IT department about what went wrong. However, I tend to sort by Most Recent, so this work-around does let me get some work done

Comment

I'm getting really frustrated with this bug. I have reported it to the help desk twice. I have included detailed instructions on how to reproduce it. All I get from the helpdesk are responses that "the ICW feature is working fine" and "clear your cache and cookies in order to view your results."

Would everyone please report the problem? If the Helpdesk is inundated with bug reports, perhaps someone will start to take the problem seriously and get IT to fix it.

I have 105 pages of matches, and it's a huge pain to scroll through all those pages looking for someone. I am not looking for recent matches, so I end up going to page 50 or higher to find the person.

Comment

ICW Error means no results

Just letting everyone know that this bug is being worked on but that it is being returned for people with whom there are no matches in common. If you'll notice, the error message says "Error Sequence contains no elements." That's because there are no results there.

Normally you'd get the message that the search returned no results but for some reason that page isn't displaying, only the error page.

I just verified that on one of the kits I manage where I know there are several matches that don't have any other matches in common with the tester. If you do the Not ICW for the person you're getting the error for, you'll see that the whole list populates as Not ICW.

Janine

Comment

Working...
                              X