Enhancement: better name matching in Family Finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancement: better name matching in Family Finder

It appears, that the list of most common surnames is not shown, if there is no match on the family name (surname) of the kit owner.

I see a great value in providing such a statistic nonetheless.

For family names in the following languages Greek, Latvian, Lithuanian and in almost any Slavic language (I listed the ones I know of), the family name could have potentially at least two forms feminine and masculine. Well known examples could be
    • Maria Sharapova, but her father is Yuri Sharapov;
    • Dinara Safina, but her brother is Marat Safin;
    • Petra Kvitová, but her father is Jiří Kvit;
    • Agnieszka Radwańska is a daughter of Robert Radwański...
    I think it could be very useful, if anybody in their profile could specify one or two additional forms of her or his(!) family name, and these forms would be used in matching.

No, there does not exist an easy to implement set of rules governing how feminine and masculine forms are created. Additionally, even when there are rules sometimes they are not followed.

Not very helpful for those of us who have a fairly uncommon name.

Does it also mean that FTDNA want all married female customers to change to their maiden names?

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
      Not very helpful for those of us who have a fairly uncommon name.
      I understand that you are referring to FTDNA software, not my proposal.

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
      Does it also mean that FTDNA want all married female customers to change to their maiden names?
      I think my suggestion covers that case and the case of a husband taking his family name from his wife. In either case, if they are able to add the name before the marriage and the feminine/masculine forms as required all the matches would be found.

P.S. As I had explained in my previous post in the forum sometime ago, one of the trends in the modern genealogy is to list everybody with their birth name(s) and rest of their life are name changes, titles etc. That is not the same as a feeling she and he gets when she and he use the same family name to designate their family!

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
        I understand that you are referring to FTDNA software, not my proposal.
        You understand correctly
        My comment was related to FTDNA´s change, which I may never get to see. I am the only customer they have with my surname, so I do not have the privilege of being able to see the change they have made.

Comment

Those who cannot see the Most Common Surnames feature yet will be able to see it soon

Elise
          Last edited by efgen; 1 November 2014, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X