Email Address Missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Address Missing

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this.

I have a match which I've had since last year. Today I decided to email him because with some new 1st and 2nd cousins testing we all match at the same chromosome segment.

He doesn't have an email address in his profile. Also when I click on the small envelope to message it will not allow a message.

I thought a person was required to show an email address and be messaged as long as they haven't completely made their account private which means they also would be unable to see their own matches nor be able to email them.

Why should he be able to see all his matches and email them if he desires but no one is able to message him?

As far as I know, you are not required to post a private email address with your account. If you look in your personal profile, you can edit, change or delete a email address.

They warn you about doing so since it would prevent them from contacting you. I assume that if you deleted your email in your personal profile it would eliminate it from appearing in the F.F. database profile.

Even if they invented a rule obligating you to post a email address everyone would did not want to, for whatever reason, would simply become "[email protected]" and you would bounce emails to no effect.

Since I am currently receiving this site in German (not joking) and have a empty MyOrigins Database, and am apparently unable to PM users or contact site admins, I am rather understanding what might drive a man to adopt a Turd Ferguson-esque contact.

Comment

There is a language choice box at the very bottom of the page. Do you have yours set on German?

And I thought you had to have a legit e-mail address, too. but apparently you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Aperipatetic1 View Post
        As far as I know, you are not required to post a private email address with your account. If you look in your personal profile, you can edit, change or delete a email address.

They warn you about doing so since it would prevent them from contacting you. I assume that if you deleted your email in your personal profile it would eliminate it from appearing in the F.F. database profile.

Even if they invented a rule obligating you to post a email address everyone would did not want to, for whatever reason, would simply become "[email protected]" and you would bounce emails to no effect.

FTDNA should not approve an account without a legitimate email address. Many sites work that way.

Since I am currently receiving this site in German (not joking) and have a empty MyOrigins Database, and am apparently unable to PM users or contact site admins, I am rather understanding what might drive a man to adopt a Turd Ferguson-esque contact.
        Yes, I went and looked at my contact info and it appears just as you said.

However, it appears totally selfish and self-serving (not necessarily in your case). This man had an email address before. He just recently took it off.

This means he can look at his own matches and email whoever he wishes but not have anyone email him. That's obnoxious. There should be a way on Family Tree to block certain people from communicating with you....that's the case on Ancestry. I would block him from all of my accounts.

It would work better like Ancestry has it where the email addresses are not shown on the account (they are blind) but everyone can email a match. It's required if you participate in the DNA program.

Plus, a legitimate email address would be necessary to have an account....one that has to be confirmed....OR NO ACCOUNT.
        Tenn4ever
        FTDNA Customer
        Last edited by Tenn4ever; 29 October 2014, 09:15 PM. Reason: to add text

Comment

Originally posted by keigh View Post
          And I thought you had to have a legit e-mail address, too. but apparently you don't.
          I would like to go on record that I do in fact have a legit and monitored private email address and it does not involve Turd Ferguson or Sean Connery for that matter..
          I was simply making the point that if they tried to enforce mandatory email address sharing, it would fail, because people who did not want to share their contact email would make one up.. and it would all be fairly pointless. If the continued to perpetually use a private email that someone initially registered, that will eventually become outdated and have to be changed over time, so making it impossible to change it will also leave people with bouncing emails.

I agree with Tenn that there should be some contact system, however it needs to be a internal one. Using private emails is challenging for someone like my dad who does not understand - or wish to be informed of - the concept of 'cut and paste' , for instance.

You also run into the problem with a internal system that right now my current attempts to use their internal contact system and forum PM system all seem to bounce, so adding in a piggyback internal PM arrangement is not likely to be a triumph of functionality in my own experience.
          Aperipatetic1
          FTDNA Customer
          Last edited by Aperipatetic1; 29 October 2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aperipatetic1 View Post
            I would like to go on record that I do in fact have a legit and monitored private email address and it does not involve Turd Ferguson or Sean Connery for that matter..
            I was simply making the point that if they tried to enforce mandatory email address sharing, it would fail, because people who did not want to share their contact email would make one up.. and it would all be fairly pointless. If the continued to perpetually use a private email that someone initially registered, that will eventually become outdated and have to be changed over time, so making it impossible to change it will also leave people with bouncing emails.

I agree with Tenn that there should be some contact system, however it needs to be a internal one. Using private emails is challenging for someone like my dad who does not understand - or wish to be informed of - the concept of 'cut and paste' , for instance.

You also run into the problem with a internal system that right now my current attempts to use their internal contact system and forum PM system all seem to bounce, so adding in a piggyback internal PM arrangement is not likely to be a triumph of functionality in my own experience.
            So, you are saying Ancestry has the capability but FTDNA does not have that capability to have a blind system.

All it takes is to have a 'user' name with an email address that's attached to it. The email address is never seen. The messaging runs through the user name and then to the email which no one ever sees. Ancestry never reveals the email addresses.

If the person doesn't respond that's his choice. On Ancestry I block users who won't respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
              So, you are saying Ancestry has the capability but FTDNA does not have that capability to have a blind system.

All it takes is to have a 'user' name with an email address that's attached to it. The email address is never seen. The messaging runs through the user name and then to the email which no one ever sees. Ancestry never reveals the email addresses.

If the person doesn't respond that's his choice. On Ancestry I block users who won't respond.
              Ancestry has had its own IT issues in the recent past from what I have heard, however I am not and never have been a customer there, so I cant speak to their system. As far as I can tell, there was a fairly superficial site facelift here, which as best I can see is mostly structured to change the cosmetic appearance of the site recently. No real features have been added that I have made note of, except to more prominently advertise purchase of their other services and substitute a new family tree system.

I really cant say certainly that my problems are a result of that, however its often problematic when you have to try to maintain 24/7 access to a site and are making major coding changes. I do have concern at this point that implementing a internal F.F. messaging system in their current state of affairs could make matters worse instead of better.

I do think that a internal system is really obligatory in this day and age, however it requires added resources, archiving capacity etc.. not to mention programming and implementation issues. I think that today few people even use a email client, and the bulk of my matches with contact info utilize rapidly dispensable and regularly discarded web based services and accounts.

This is a very poor candidate for providing reliable contact information and customer-to-customer access, because of the turnover and abandonment that is rampant in these sorts of accounts. Maybe at the time that FTDNA first started out, it was still commonplace for most users to utilize Outlook, Outlook Express, Lotus Notes etc.. with a paid email provider, but its been a long time since I have relied on any of these clients, which are linked to services that are more likely to remain in use over the long term.

Its not going to make you feel any better, but in reality, if the user is not seeking contact or sharing, he is not likely to answer a PM to a internal FTDNA messaging system in all likelyhood, either. I am not saying we should not make well intended requests or recommendations for the site however we need to be realistic about what they really have the capacity to successfully implement.

Its always possible that your contact is away for a period of time, and temporarily removed his email so as not to find himself unable to respond to contacts during his absence, or some other similar explanation.

Comment

Another thought about the e-mail system, is that in today's world of instant messaging, many of us don't answer e-mails immediately. Some people have accounts set up to collect messages/mail from various sites and then every week or so check the box. There really isn't much in genealogy research that can't be put off for a couple of weeks or so, so people get on with their lives fitting in their "hobby" when they can.

Comment

Working...
                X