Enhancement: separate notifications from privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enhancement: separate notifications from privacy

I would like to ask that e-mail notification settings are separate from sharing/privacy settings. In my opinion, users of all the tests, that is Y-DNA, mtDNA and Family Finder, would benefit.

I personally would elect to not get e-mail notifications, while at the same time continue to share, specifically for speculative matches in Family Finder, and also for Y-DNA12, Y-DNA25, HVR1, and HVR1&HVR2 matches. I have noticed similar attitudes with some other Forum participants.

Currently the settings are available to individual kit owners under the tab Match and E-mail Settings at https://my.familytreedna.com/account-settings.aspx

I agree on that email notifications and match list/privacy settings are two different things and should have their own settings.

I too do not what email notifications for every new match, but I do want to see Distant/speculative matches, and have them see my kits.

Comment

I never understood the logic in grouping email notifications and privacy settings. Was it really intentional?

I noticed this happening two years ago on the Y project I administer. Names were disappearing off the 12 marker match list. I can understand why people dont want to see those annoying 12 marker match notifications but its a shame that they also deleted their names from the match lists. I am not sure they realized that would happen.

(And I realize some people do find 12 markers notifications relevant).

Comment

The "Spam" has begun...

So, today I started receiving Family Finder "distant cousin" email notifications. I've got 13 Family Finder kits, most of which receive frequent matches (being of Southern colonial ancestry). I'm not looking forward to getting dozens of these emails a week. I imagine the same is true for people with fewer kits as well.

I see at the bottom of the email: "If you would like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails, click here."

I still don't see any separation of email notifications from privacy in the settings menu. Has anyone clicked on this to see what happens? I don't want for all of my distant matches to disappear (and vice versa), so I don't dare.

If clicking on this does indeed make distant matches private, I can bet that our match lists are going to start depopulating rapidly. Goodbye triangulation.

Comment

I was actually quite pleasantly surprised to get one. First e-mail notification I have had in 3 years apart from when I matched my aunt. However, I am not sure what triggered it. The closest match I can see today is suggested relationship 3rd to 5th. If this is the match that triggered the mail, then I do not understand why there was not an equivalent e-mail for my aunt´s kit where this person shows as 2nd to 4th.

Comment

Originally posted by Katydid View Post
            I see at the bottom of the email: "If you would like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails, click here."

I still don't see any separation of email notifications from privacy in the settings menu. Has anyone clicked on this to see what happens? I don't want for all of my distant matches to disappear (and vice versa), so I don't dare.
            I clicked it. It takes you to a page that's titled "Unsubscribe successful". The text of the page states "Your email ******@*****.*** has been successfully unsubscribed from this list!"

I logged in to the kit that the email was sent for and it did not change any settings and I can still see all of the matches, including distant ones, for the kit in question.

Comment

I think that the software program sending out the emails must be working its way through the database. I received an email for the first kit before noon and then notifications for seven additional kits over the course of the past few hours. So, it might not be done yet.

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
              I was actually quite pleasantly surprised to get one. First e-mail notification I have had in 3 years apart from when I matched my aunt. However, I am not sure what triggered it. The closest match I can see today is suggested relationship 3rd to 5th. If this is the match that triggered the mail, then I do not understand why there was not an equivalent e-mail for my aunt´s kit where this person shows as 2nd to 4th.

Comment

Thanks for that information. If clicking it truly doesn't affect privacy settings, that's great. (On the other hand, it's also possible that there may be a delay before the settings are updated).

Originally posted by phje View Post
                I clicked it. It takes you to a page that's titled "Unsubscribe successful". The text of the page states "Your email ******@*****.*** has been successfully unsubscribed from this list!"

I logged in to the kit that the email was sent for and it did not change any settings and I can still see all of the matches, including distant ones, for the kit in question.

Comment

Think you were right about it taking time to work through the database Katydid. Just got my next e-mail, four hours after the first.

The "View my matches" button is dead if viewing the e-mail on an ipad.

Comment

"View my matches" doesn't work on my Macintosh laptop (Thunderbird email client) either.

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                    Think you were right about it taking time to work through the database Katydid. Just got my next e-mail, four hours after the first.

The "View my matches" button is dead if viewing the e-mail on an i-pad.

Comment

Originally posted by Katydid View Post
                      So, today I started receiving Family Finder "distant cousin" email notifications. I've got 13 Family Finder kits, most of which receive frequent matches (being of Southern colonial ancestry). I'm not looking forward to getting dozens of these emails a week. I imagine the same is true for people with fewer kits as well.

If clicking on this does indeed make distant matches private, I can bet that our match lists are going to start depopulating rapidly. Goodbye triangulation.

I did the same for a HVR1 match notification.

And now I wonder... Does the message Your email [email protected] has been successfully unsubscribed from this list! apply to all the notifications send to that e-mail address? All HVR1 notifications for all people using the same address? Etc.

W.

Comment

Notifications and matches

Wow. Who knew that trying to opt out from excess email notifications would also change the content of your match list? I don't understand why those two completely separate functions were connected to begin with.

My concern is that many who don't make this same discovery will miss out on the value of their full list of matches without even realizing it. Long time matches will start to disappear... in fact, already have.

More important than posting to the forums though is actually giving feedback to FTDNA so they will understand there needs to be a change. Sounding off here to each other isn't enough.

https://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                          I did the same for a HVR1 match notification.

And now I wonder... Does the message Your email [email protected] has been successfully unsubscribed from this list! apply to all the notifications send to that e-mail address? All HVR1 notifications for all people using the same address? Etc.

W.
                          Have you received any more emails?

Since I clicked on unsubscribe I have not received any further emails from FTDNA. I have not received any emails about the sale or for any new matches across all of the kits that I manage that have that email address as the contact email.

I reported the issue and received a canned response, but apparently they are aware that if you unsubscribe you have no way to subscribe again. It looks like I'll have to wait until IT gets it fixed before I receive another email.

Comment

Have you received any more emails?

Since I clicked on unsubscribe I have not received any further emails from FTDNA. I have not received any emails about the sale or for any new matches across all of the kits that I manage that have that email address as the contact email.

I reported the issue and received a canned response, but apparently they are aware that if you unsubscribe you have no way to subscribe again. It looks like I'll have to wait until IT gets it fixed before I receive another email.
                            You might be right, I think that kit might not have received the sale e-mail, as I recall thinking that I am flooded a little bit less...

I kept removing the e-mails our kits were receiving immediately as they had identical information to GAP newsletter, so I cannot verify anything now.

W.

P.S. I am not going to experiment with the settings, as that was the kit that used to generate most of my notifications, and I would prefer that it stays quiet...

Comment

Since I've been trying to get out from under all those new arrival of relationships in the speculative range I've found using the don't send me e-mail about them to be effective. It cuts out pages of possibilities of cousins who I'll never link up to. Now I don't have to hunt through page after page of useless names.

Comment

Working...
                              X