can't download raw data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't download raw data

I'm trying to download raw data for my uncle's newly posted FF results, and I'm getting "http 404" error. I tried my mom's as well, and I can't get to either of them.

HELP!

ChattieKathy

I'm having the same problem at 12:40 pm.

TT

Comment

It takes a day or two for the raw data to become available for download. Please try again over the weekend or on Monday

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
        It takes a day or two for the raw data to become available for download. Please try again over the weekend or on Monday

Elise
        Elise, it is doing it for all my kits as well. Same error 404 and I have downloaded them before I have had my kit since August of 2011. So something is going on.

Comment

I can't access it from the other 2 kits I've had since August as well.

ChattieKathy

Comment

Mine are downloading.... what is the link giving the 404? What OS and browser version ?

Elise

Comment

I tried it on both Chrome Version 37.0.2062.124 m
              and IE. I'm not sure of the version on IE. This is the message:

Chrome:
              Not Found

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

IE:
              Info icon
              The webpage cannot be found

HTTP 404

Most likely causes:
              •There might be a typing error in the address.
              •If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:

Retype the address.

Go back to the previous page.

Go to and look for the information you want.

More information More information

Comment

HTTP Error 404. The requested resource is not found.

14 hours ago I needed the results on another system, so it was faster to download them anew there. All four files downloaded for everybody, now none is downloading for anybody.

A technical tidbit: the address that gives Error 404 looks like it would download a file named (fake numbers used)
                ff-89abcdef-7654-3210-abcd-456789abcdef.csv.gz <- FF
                xo-89abcdef-7654-3210-abcd-456789abcdef.csv.gz <- X

Previously it was (where 123456 was the kit number)
                123456-autosomal-o37-results.csv.gz
                123456-x-chromosome-o37-results.csv

So not a fault, but planned change ? Or just final redirection goes nowhere ?

P.S. FASTA downloads with mtDNA results are OK.
                Last edited by dna; 26 September 2014, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Mine are downloading.... what is the link giving the 404? What OS and browser version ?

Elise
                  Link is family finder download build 37
                  https://my.familytreedna.com/family-...downloads.aspx

Windows 7 and Chrome version 37.0.2062.124

Does not work in IE 11.096 for me either.

Comment

(Oops, meant to post this before dinner, but apparently forgot to click Submit!)

All,

I see the problem now. Has nothing to do with the browser or OS -- everyone is affected.

IT didn't notice this issue because the links work as expected from inside the office -- the problem is that they're not working from outside the office.

I've now reported the issue to IT, but since it's 5pm on Friday, I don't expect this to get resolved until Monday.

Very sorry for the inconvenience and, as always, thanks for your patience while this is resolved.

Elise

Comment

(Oops, meant to post this before dinner, but apparently forgot to click Submit!)

I've now reported the issue to IT, but since it's 5pm on Friday, I don't expect this to get resolved until Monday.

Very sorry for the inconvenience and, as always, thanks for your patience while this is resolved.

Elise
                      I reported the problem about the download link not working to customer service via a phone call Friday Morning at 9:01 AM central time and she said she was reporting it to IT then. (An aside) I also told customer service that I still cannot upload a GEDCOM to my tree without getting an error. She checked and told me that they (IT) had my problem marked as resolved. It is not resolved. I cannot upload my GEDCOM.

But as for the download link that is affecting everyone: Sorry, I work in an IT department and when our public facing website is not working then we are working until it is fixed (Saturday or Sunday).

Also, when I contact customer service via the online method I am no longer sent an automatic reply with a reference number. Are other's experiencing this problem? It is not in my spam folder.

Comment

Originally posted by tlgarrison View Post

But as for the download link that is affecting everyone: Sorry, I work in an IT department and when our public facing website is not working then we are working until it is fixed (Saturday or Sunday).
                        Same here tlgarrision. I also work for an IT provider and am continually surprised by FTDNA´s reactions to reported incidents. Weekends should be particularly important for them as a large part of their customer base are working people who are reliant on access to the full functionality of the website on Saturdays and Sundays.

Comment

I usually don't like to make this kind of complaint...but come on!! My son-in-law (also in IT) would be up all night to fix something like this! Especially considering that for most people, the weekend is the prime time for use of the site. I'm very disappointed and frustrated!

Comment

All,

If the website was completely down & unusable, that would be an emergency and IT would be fixing it after-hours.

When a non-critical feature isn't working right, it will be taken care of during regular business hours.

The inability to download files doesn't prevent you from accessing and analyzing your results with the tools provided on the FTDNA website. So it's not considered a critical feature that requires an emergency after-hours fix.

I realize this is frustrating for customers, but it's the reality of how businesses work -- everything has to get prioritized. And FTDNA is most certainly not the only company to prioritize this way.

I had to call GoToWebinar last week about a couple issues, and they couldn't/wouldn't fix them in the timeframe that *I* needed/wanted -- these issues weren't a high priority for them. While I understood it from the business side, that didn't make it any less frustrating for me/FTDNA as the customer. And, FTDNA is a business customer, not an individual consumer. So businesses don't get any special treatment either.

Elise

PS. I spent 15 years in high-end IT jobs. Getting paged after-hours for an emergency was part of the job -- but it wears on you. If I had been constantly getting paged for things that could wait until business hours, I would have absolutely hated my job and would have changed careers to genealogy much sooner

Comment

I, too, have worked in IT and User Support.
                              I am also unable to download my raw data.
                              Therefore... all former IT employees cannot download?

My recommendation to your IT department:

Learn from your mistakes. In the future... test with a computer that goes OUTSIDE before coming IN. Just seems the logical thing to do.

I guess MY plans aren't happening.
                              k.

Comment

Working...
                              X