No announcement yet.

Houston Error on Family Finder pages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same,last week I found I can't open my member's big Y page through GAP,got Houston error page. later also found FF match,mtDNA page got Houston error too.I will try kit reauthorization.

Comment

not only administrator's -FF indiv. accounts also

I've had a problem accessing Family Finder - individual account) for over 3 months and have gone round and round with customer service over it. Clear your cache, try another browser, try another computer, what version, etc. - with no solution. I'd like to upgrade to further testing but without being able to research the results- what is the point? I'm very happy with FTDNA for testing, but this problem with the database is likely to become a deal breaker. There are numerous postings on this site and FTDNA's Facebook page regarding this issue of accessing Family Finder results. IT should be very aware of the problem and so should top management at this point.

Comment

I finally got a response to my second message. The IT department is aware of this customer-wide issue & working to resolve it. It's a high priority. No estimate yet of when it will be fixed.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Hi all,

For those having a different problem than accessing FF results through the GAP, IT has asked me to post the following information:
          We test code extensively on Internet Explorer versions 9 through 11, and the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

When customers are experiencing website issues, the following technical details will help us troubleshoot:

* operating system
          * web browser (ie: Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Internet Explorer)
          * web browser version
          * web browser extensions they have installed
          * antivirus software they are using

When customers get a Houston We Have a Problem page, please also send a screenshot -- it contains code information about the specific error.

Please describe the error or issue, and also explain exactly what you were trying to do when the error occured.

The best way to report technical issues is to use the Technical form on the Contact page of our website, since it automatically picks up some information from your web browser, and also allows you to attach a screenshot.
          * Go to http://www.familytreedna.com/contact.aspx
          * Click on Other Topics (bottom right of the 8 options within the first half of the page)
          * In the section that opens below, click on Technical
          * Enter your kit number, name, email address, error/issue details and attach a screen shot
          * Click Submit

IMPORTANT: Please ONLY submit website/technical issues this way so that they get properly categorized in our helpdesk system and addressed by the right people.

Thank you!
          Elise
          Last edited by efgen; 6 August 2014, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Homepage, FamilyFinder and Chromosome Browser problems

I submitted 3 reports - 1 with Firefox problems and 2 with IE problems. I had to submit my IE problems via a connection through Firefox because with IE I can't even get to the form for submitting a bug report.

I don't know what GAP is but I'm just trying to access my own reports - nothing about projects or project members.

Chrome seems to work fine for me but FF is my preferred browser.

I've done all the cache clearing and loading fresh pages but that doesn't help.

On your web server you may be able to make a setting that forces a reload instead of allowing the use of cached pages. That is available with Apache and Websphere hosted applications but I don't know about Microsoft.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ghamilton View Post
              I don't know what GAP is but I'm just trying to access my own reports - nothing about projects or project members.
              Thanks
              GAP = Group Administrator Page. Group Administrators use it to view information about the kits in our projects.

Comment

Really frustrated

Last week, my FF access to my Big Y data was just fine. Yesterday and today nothing but the "spinner". Even my homepage display format has a strange and uncommon appearance.

Clearing my browser history and cache did nothing...

I'm hoping these problems are related to the issues discussed in this topic, and that FTDNA applies the necessary resources to quickly fix them.

With this (and other Big Y) issue(s), and the waning help desk support, I'm quickly becoming less interested in FTDNA's services. I no longer recommend them as a #1 service provider.

Comment

Originally posted by wighty44 View Post
                  Last week, my FF access to my Big Y data was just fine. Yesterday and today nothing but the "spinner". Even my homepage display format has a strange and uncommon appearance.
                  Clearing my browser history and cache did nothing...
                  What browser version are you using? I've been advised that customers using IE9 are having issues and IT is currently working on a fix for it. Or if you upgrade your browser (which is always a good idea!), the problems should go away.

However, if you're already using a later version or a different browser and still having these problems, please let me know.

Elise
                  Last edited by efgen; 8 August 2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Chrome still has GAP FF issues

Still having issues getting to FF from GAP in Chrome running Win 8.1.

I received an email saying this was a known issue and was getting "high priority".

Still it's a pain not being able to click through quickly without logging on to each individual.

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                      What browser version are you using? I've been advised that customers using IE9 are having issues and IT is currently working on a fix for it. Or if you upgrade your browser (which is always a good idea!), the problems should go away.

However, if you're already using a later version or a different browser and still having these problems, please let me know.

Elise
                      I use FF V25, which displayed my FTDNA website pages and information just fine as of 7/29/14 - when I checked my Big Y haplotree before sending a help desk email.

As an FYI I have made no changes to my computer OS , hardware, or software since 7/29/14. My system is very static that way, and my browser has no issues on other websites...

Comment

I use FF V25, which displayed my FTDNA website pages and information just fine as of 7/29/14 - when I checked my Big Y haplotree before sending a help desk email.
                        FF is up to version 31, so I'd highly recommend upgrading. Your version is almost a year old, which is a long time in the web browser world It's always a good idea to keep up-to-date for security reasons, bug fixes, and to support new technologies that websites may start using.

Elise

Comment

Originally posted by efgen View Post
                          FF is up to version 31, so I'd highly recommend upgrading. Your version is almost a year old, which is a long time in the web browser world It's always a good idea to keep up-to-date for security reasons, bug fixes, and to support new technologies that websites may start using.

Elise
                          Thank you, I am aware of that fact. However, I typically do not change SW versions because they become available - for several reasons. Especially after a bad experience where an update created havoc with my system because the update was not compatible with other SW and I had to revert to the earlier version.

As I am not alone with FTDNA website problems and this issue appears to have manifested itself a little over a week where no issues were seem, I suspect the cause(s) are with some IT tweak on the FTDNA side...

Comment

My Firefox errors resolved

Elise,
                            Thank you for posting the current version # for Firefox. I was on 24.7. When I went to help/about it said I was current. When I navigated to the download the latest version site at https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ it also said I was current. Only when I went to the download and install a fresh version link https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/ did I see an opportunity to download v31.

It seems something in their version checker and automatic updater isn't working properly for me.

My Firefox browser now works fine with Family Finder and Chromosome Browser.

Thank you

Comment

ghamilton: That's strange! Glad you were able to find and install the update manually.

My FF is configured to automatically download & install updates. After an update is downloaded, the actual update happens next time I re-start my browser.

Another option is to automatically download updates, but only install it when you choose.

Both of these settings are under Options -> Advanced -> Update.

Elise

Comment

I typically do not change SW versions because they become available - for several reasons. Especially after a bad experience where an update created havoc with my system because the update was not compatible with other SW and I had to revert to the earlier version.
                                I would recommend checking into why your other software isn't compatible with a newer browser version.

While we do try to accomodate as many customers as possible, we can't guarantee continued compatibility with every older browser version.

I hope you are also aware that you are leaving your computer open to security risks by not upgrading.

As I am not alone with FTDNA website problems and this issue appears to have manifested itself a little over a week where no issues were seem, I suspect the cause(s) are with some IT tweak on the FTDNA side...
                                We've just pushed out a hotfix to resolve some of the IE9 issues. I'm not certain if this will resolve any of the non-IE older version issues too, but please try the page(s) that you were having trouble with and let me know what happens.

Elise

Comment

Working...
                                X