Houston Error on Family Finder pages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Error on Family Finder pages.

Ive tried to get onto the FF pages of the kits I manage.

So far 5 give a Houston Error and 2 work.
    The two that work are the most recent tests completed, results that came in a few weeks ago from the recent sale.

Anyone else having errors when trying to access the results?

It was working fine on my home computer (Mac) but I am having the same issue as you on my work computer (PC).

Comment

Houston Err on FF

When I log in through GAP, I cannot access FF for any of our family kits. But, if I log in as an individual, for the same kits, there is no problem.

Running Chrome on Win 8.1.
      I have cleared the history and restarted several times.

I first noticed this problem last night and have consistently gotten the error message since that time.

Comment

I have the same problem when running either Chrome or IE. I have only tried to log on as the GAP.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

Sometimes after an error has occured the error page is cached and needs to be released. If using chrome try the incognito mode to force the browser to refresh a new page. If using IE (why?), you can set a setting to make sure the browser always uses the newest page a site has.

Comment

After not having viewed the FTDNA site for a few days, I now find that the Family Finder page is virtually unusable.

1) The Profile pop-ups don't appear at all when I click on a match's name.

2) Clicking on the Run Common Matches icon doesn't give me the 'In-Common with' / 'Not In common With' prompt any more, instead defaulting to a Server Error - 403 Forbidden - Access is denied page.

3) All the drop-down Surname lists under the Ancestral Surnames column are hanging open by default on opening Family Finder Matches, and can not be closed.

That's all the immediate things I can see. There may be more.

Edit:

4) The Show Full View feature no longer does anything.

~

Also ... I posted a few days ago, on a different thread, about how parts of the myDNA homepage (ie the first page presented after the login page) looked a mess. I see that someone's been tweaking the new Profile headings, but the only effect it's had on my screen (a 15" laptop; wider screens might display OK) is to make everything else wrap around and position itself below. Way below. It looks a complete shambles.

~

When I first joined FTDNA a couple of years ago everything worked OK and I was happy with what was provided. There have been improvements since then, like the In Common With feature (when it works!) but on the whole my impression as a user is that the system is gradually falling apart. I can't quite figure out what s going on, unless the system is gradually being redesigned for tablet users, or simply to implement cosmetic changes, at the expense of pleasing nobody.

I've worked in IT for years (decades) so I have a lot of sympathy for the developers, but I've never come across anything quite like it.

~

PS: (second edit) I find that the Family Finder problems I've described (above) work OK using Chrome but not using IE.

~
            Last edited by Caburn; 4 August 2014, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Note: I was just about to edit the previous post and move most of it to a more appropriate thread but find that I've left it too many minutes to do that. ie: it will no longer let me edit the entry.

~

Comment

Caburn, I am having the same problem.

I can't access my matches in common or see the segment size, and my Chromosome browser just keeps spinning.

I'm glad it isn't just me!!

Comment

Attention: IT Dept

Come on now!!

How much longer is this nonsense going to continue?

PLEASE FIX THIS DANG PROBLEM ALREADY FTDNA!!!!!!!

Comment

Try chrome in the "Incognito mode" or IE check for newer version every time I use Internet Explorer". This should make sure you are not grabbing old cached pages that are not being used anymore.

Everything is working fine for my three accounts. But I have had it act up before and had to clear the cache to make it work. Usually after they have an update to their site.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                      Come on now!!

I doubt FTDNA even knows about it. There has been no FTDNA presence on Facebook or the forums since July 23rd and emails usually are backed up a good week.

Comment

Originally posted by ajmr1a1 View Post
                        Come on now!!

I agree 100% They should have fixed this by now!!!

Comment

I reported this in the Contact Us message box. I got a response a day later, telling me to reset the cache in my browser; of course, none of this helped. I emailed them back & told them that their solution did nothing, that I have tried using different browsers on different PCs. I also told them that I only get this message if I log into a kit through the GAP. If I log on to each kit individually (not a realistic option here), there is no problem. I also told them that the forum includes all kinds of reports about this problem.

After saying all of this, I haven't heard back. Perhaps it is a good sign; that they are looking into it.

Timothy Peterman

Comment

One work around I found, in regards to Gap page for Family Finder projects, is to delete kit out of My Account > Kit Authorization

Once Full access authorization is removed you can access kits Family Finder matches from Member Reports>Member Information and clicking on their kit #

To be able to download Raw Data from your kits via Gap pages, You will also have to re add kit and password to Kit Authorization
                            Error page does not come back after reauthorizing
                            Last edited by prairielad; 5 August 2014, 10:36 PM.

Comment

All,

IT is aware of the issue with GAPs trying to access FF matches via Kit Authorization and is working on a fix. I don't have a timeframe for resolution yet, though.

In the meantime, you can log into your kit directly. Or, as prairielad posted, you can delete the kit from Kit Authorization and re-add it -- that seems to fix the issue.

Elise

Comment

Working...
                              X