Houston Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston Issue

For the past few days I have received the Houston response when attempting to view Gedcoms for a matches. I saw some posts on this topic previously - is it a known bug or should I contact FTDNA? Thanks, TT

They should know about it!

There have been numerous posts on this forum about this issue and they don't seem to fix the problem.

Great customer service -NOT!!!

Comment

Houston Issue

Originally posted by JDP1144 View Post
      There have been numerous posts on this forum about this issue and they don't seem to fix the problem.

Great customer service -NOT!!!
      Customer Service responded quickly and told me to clear my cache - this had been done. I also have the latest browser updates on IE, Chrome, and Fire Fox. Still does not work. Hate clearing the cache as I had to relog into about 15 other sites.

Comment

Houston Issue

Originally posted by Time Traveler View Post
        Customer Service responded quickly and told me to clear my cache - this had been done. I also have the latest browser updates on IE, Chrome, and Fire Fox. Still does not work. Hate clearing the cache as I had to relog into about 15 other sites.
        Well, I just noticed something regarding the anomaly. The only gedcoms I cannot view are on my most recent matches. The older ones are accessible. This obviously is not something my computer is causing.

Comment

I'm the administrator of a small family project. I can't view the Gedcoms of the matches my project members have received in the past month or longer. I can view older ones, though I still get "unknown" place for very many of them.

The situation makes it hard to use DNA for genealogy! And the number of people who don't reply to my emails has increased dramatically lately, making things even more difficult.

Comment

Houston Issue

Thanks, Moberly/Drake - I've gone back to the help desk on this one.

Comment

Houston Problem

FTDNA Help was finally able to replicate this issue and will report it to programmers. Hopefully it will be resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Time Traveler View Post
                FTDNA Help was finally able to replicate this issue and will report it to programmers. Hopefully it will be resolved.
                I don't understand. Every time I get the Houston error (which is almost 100% of the time for new matches), I see the following:

Error Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I also see this message:

Your error has been submitted.
                For a copy of this error message, please enter your email.

I have entered my email a couple of times and never received a copy of the error message through email, but I assumed (incorrectly apparently) that FTDNA was getting some type of message every time this happened. Now they are saying that they couldn't replicate the error? This is such a huge problem for those of us who are trying to use our matches for genealogy purposes.

I finally ordered my ancestry dna kit over the weekend. I really wanted to upgrade a kit with family finder and another kit with mtDNA testing instead of ordering from ancestry. I can't justify that though until some of these issues are corrected. I can't properly use the results I have now. I also wanted to order some snp tests during the previous sale, but was advised not to until the issues are fixed with the ydna results. Whether FTDNA realizes it or not, these issues are hurting the bottom line. Perhaps business is still good, but it could be even better.

Comment

Originally posted by emyr View Post
                  I finally ordered my ancestry dna kit over the weekend. I really wanted to upgrade a kit with family finder and another kit with mtDNA testing instead of ordering from ancestry. I can't justify that though until some of these issues are corrected. I can't properly use the results I have now. I also wanted to order some snp tests during the previous sale, but was advised not to until the issues are fixed with the ydna results. Whether FTDNA realizes it or not, these issues are hurting the bottom line. Perhaps business is still good, but it could be even better.
                  At least at Ancestry there aren't nearly as many things to not work. Of course that might be because their system doesn't offer nearly as much.

FTDNA will get their problems resolved. I've been telling myself that since last November.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                    At least at Ancestry there aren't nearly as many things to not work. Of course that might be because their system doesn't offer nearly as much.

FTDNA will get their problems resolved. I've been telling myself that since last November.
                    I definitely feel like FTDNA offers more tools/benefits than does ancestry. My brother tested in both places, and I have had a little luck using his ancestry results. I feel that ancestry is really more of a supplement to my tests at FTDNA, rather than a standalone. I've been planning to test myself over there and finally ordered the kit over the weekend. My husband and children offered to purchase dna testing for my Mother's Day gift, and I honestly would have preferred to put more money in with FTDNA. I kept hoping FTDNA would show me something that would justify me spending the money there, but not yet. I'm hoping things will turn around soon.

Comment

I was just trying to see my matches when I get: Houston, error message. What is that? Well, I was unable to open my FF matches. I'll try again later. I never had a problem before.

Comment

I think yesterday was the first time I've seen the Houston error. There is a 3rd to 5th cousin that I'd like to check. However, it seems to be kind of random, some work and some don't. These are the results I got for my matches:

2 out of 4 for May
                        4 out of 5 for April
                        4 out of 6 for March

Comment

I thought this might be fixed yesterday, but I just went to one project member and clicked to view the gedcom of the newest match that had one and got the Houston page with this error displayed "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I went to the next one who had a tree, and that one worked fine, as did the next 2. Then I got the Houston page on the 5th one. The next 2 were fine, then another Houston page.

I'm not seeing any pattern.

Comment

I just went back and tried again and I still get the error page for the same matches I did a few days ago.

Whatever the problem is, it's still not fixed.

Comment

Pending Lab Results Page Error

I'm getting a Houston error when trying to view the Pending Lab Results page from the GAP home page for a surname project.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X