Size of FF database.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size of FF database.

At some point in the future it would be nice to know how many people have taken the FF test as I am curious what % of the overall testing population each of my testers match.

Earl.

FTDNA is not saying.

However, this ISOGG chart estimates the FF database is ~ 75,000 versus
    400K at 23andme and 200K at ancestryDNA.

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_...mparison_chart

Comment

It's not just the size of the database that is important but also where the people in the database are located. FTDNA have a big advantage in that they have by far the most international database. The AncestryDNA test is only available in the US. 23andMe ship to 56 countries. FTDNA ship kits in theory to every country in the world. 23andMe charge a fortune to send their kits by courier outside the US so their test is actually almost twice the price of the Family Finder test from FTDNA.

Comment

Still a good question. Maybe GedMatch could tell us the percentages in their database of F, M, and A kits.

Bob H.

Comment

Originally posted by DevonHistorian View Post
          FTDNA have a big advantage in that they have by far the most international database.
          FTDNA also permits raw data transfers from ancestryDNA and 23andme (v3 only).

I transferred all my 23andme v3 kits over to FTDNA.
          This is a great option available for those who want to protect their investment.

FTDNA's potential datasize could be huge if it can draw more 23andme & ancestryDNA transfer customers.

I don't know how successful the transfer program is but I wish
          it were promoted more and at a more attractive price point.
          Last edited by ajmr1a1; 1 February 2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hansonrf View Post
            Still a good question. Maybe GedMatch could tell us the percentages in their database of F, M, and A kits.
            19% Ancestry.Com
            28% FTDNA
            4% 23andMe V2
            47% 23andMe V3
            2% 23andMe V4

John

Comment

John, thank you, Curtis and GEDmatch, for providing those numbers for those of us who find it valuable. Your generosity of spirit is greatly appreciated.

Will wager those numbers will change drastically in the near term since most (including me) who tested at 23 did so for the health reports.

FTDNA should then lead the charge.
              Last edited by Biblioteque; 1 February 2014, 03:33 PM. Reason: add

Comment

See also this old thread on the same topic -
                http://forums.familytreedna.com/showthread.php?t=26783

Comment

Working...
                X