No announcement yet.

Genome Mate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though it's a good tool, it is useless for 1/4 of the users since it builds on Silverlight (as of 2014, 1/4 of the Internet traffic is generated by non-Windows devices). Maybe you should consider porting it to a crass-platform language/technology.

Comment

Originally posted by royfarnol View Post
      ... I can't see how to undo that confirmation link.
      Have you tried asking the woman who wrote the program?

click on [Support] then on [Email Support]

She has always responded to my questions and more than once updated the program with new options to solve a specific problem.

I was so impress I made a reasonably large donation after our first communication. We need more folks like her involved in creating useful tools for dna anaylsis.

Comment

@a shepherd & @ canyon wolf

Thanks AS for your solution which will probably serve. I suppose there is a chance that dealing with the names as you suggest could possibly impinge on later developments which, although unlikely perhaps, might make the names significant?

Thanks Canyon Wolf. Truth is I have been pestering that lady which is why I wanted to keep this thread boiling. I wonder whether we could have a Genome Mate sticky?

I often wondered why there didn't ever seem to be a Gedmatch sticky. They have their own forum now.

Comment

Marking Connection information

I'm curious how people are using the Connection information (where you can mark the ancestor).

I've been doing this very conservatively--only marking known most recent common ancestors. However, for many matches I do know which grandparent or great-grand's line is involved, so I'm a little tempted to mark those in order to get a visual indicator on the main page. Has anyone done this? Opinions? What I'd like is to see something more like what I get using Kitty Cooper's tool, which always takes time to update (on my part, not that the tool itself is slow).

Comment

Once you have downloaded all your matches to Genome Mate, how do you add new ones when you get them?

Would someone please give me precise instructions for doing this, both for Family Tree DNA and for 23andMe?

I used the 529andYou method of getting my info from 23andMe into Genome Mate. The instructions said "On the 529andYou tab > Create 'To Do' Table > Highlight list of names > Copy & Paste into Notepad to use later". They never said to use the saved info at any later point in the process???

Comment

I'd love to try this, but as Silverlight is a requirement, it's a no go on Linux.
              If anyone is a linux user and has got it working, please let me know.

Comment

Yeah, the project "Moonlight" - Silverlight for Linux/Unix - was ended in May 2012. The project Silverlight was ended in 2013, meaning Microsoft has now abandoned all users.

Comment

I think I remember the developer recently asking for suggestions re other platforms she could switch to. (Either that or I dreamt it...)

Comment

Sharing GenomeMate

I'd like to share my GenomeMate file with some cousins by putting it online but I cannot see a way to do it. Can it be done?

Comment

Originally posted by tommypeters View Post
                      Yeah, the project "Moonlight" - Silverlight for Linux/Unix - was ended in May 2012. The project Silverlight was ended in 2013, meaning Microsoft has now abandoned all users.
                      Probably this isn't very smart. Today 25% of the Internet traffic is not generated from Windows devices and the Windows market share is shrinking. Linux (including Android) and Macintosh (including IOS) are getting more and more popular.

Comment

I'd like to share my GenomeMate file with some cousins by putting it online but I cannot see a way to do it. Can it be done?
                        Share it through a Dropbox/OneDrive/Google Drive...

Comment

Genome Mate puts a big reliance on Gedmatch data but the triangulation spplications seem to have been dropped. Is this just temporary?

Comment

Genome Mate puts a big reliance on Gedmatch data but the triangulation spplications seem to have been dropped. Is this just temporary?
                            I am not familiar with Genome Mate. What is its connection to Gedmatch and how does it access Gedmatch data? I cannot remember being asked on Gedmatch if I wanted to make my data available to Genome Mate.

Comment

Gedmatch and Genome Mate

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                              I am not familiar with Genome Mate. What is its connection to Gedmatch and how does it access Gedmatch data? I cannot remember being asked on Gedmatch if I wanted to make my data available to Genome Mate.
                              Yes--they have been changing servers and the functions are slowly being reinstalled.

Comment

Originally posted by LynCra View Post
                                Genome Mate is a separate program, not maintained by Gedmatch. that you can download to your computer. See the first message in this thread for the link. It can integrate your matches from several sources, including Gedmatch. You make that decision yourself, based on your interests and where you have tested.

Comment

Working...
                                X