Unicode Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unicode Support

Please consider updating your system to support Unicode in GEDCOM files. I have many Icelandic ancestors and when I uploaded my GEDCOM file my pedigree chart and Surnames list was a mess on the site.

I created an entire separate pedigree in my desktop family tree software and manually converted the names, and uploaded that. But I can only do that for a sub-set of my Icelandic ancestors. I have at least one line of my ancestors going back to the Icelandic settlement period, but I'm not going to convert all those names manually.

My desktop family tree software (RootsMagic5) and my genealogy site software (TNG) both support accented characters, I think it's probably time that your website did as well. As you know, Icelandic names aren't the only names with accented characters.

Reading through the forums here, it seems that many FTDNA customers are frustrated with the number of DNA matches who don't have any pedigrees on your site. Perhaps one factor in any lack of participation is that their names are getting trashed when they upload their GEDCOM files.

Thank you

Hello,

I submitted this as a ticket a few months back, so it is something that the IT department has on their list, I just don't have a date as to when it may be implemented. But they are aware of it.

-Darren Marin
    Family Tree DNA

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the follow-up.

I've worked for a software development company for 11 years, so I know what those lists can be like. We've done all that we can do.

But would a statement telling users not to upload GEDCOM files with accented characters be a good idea? It would have saved me a little time.

Tom
      Last edited by thsaunders1953; 9th August 2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thsaunders1953 View Post
        Thanks for the follow-up.

I've worked for a software development company for 11 years, so I know what those lists can be like. We've done all that we can do.

But would a statement telling users not to upload GEDCOM files with accented characters be a good idea? It would have saved me a little time.

Tom
        My Gedcom has the German characters ä, ö, ü, and ß and the French é, and it looks fine.

Comment

Tom,

I will pass along the suggestion.

-Darren Marin
          Family Tree DNA

Comment

Originally posted by ursus View Post
            My Gedcom has the German characters ä, ö, ü, and ß and the French é, and it looks fine.
            Yes, you found a workaround to FTDNAs incomplete GEDCOM-support.

Representation of such special characters within the GEDCOM-standard does not seem to be supported at all by FTDNA, not even the old ANSEL encoding.

But if your GEDCOM-export can encode using http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859-1[*] then that seems to cause a correct FTDNA-upload, at least in the sense that the special characters are showed correctly on the various FTDNA web-pages.

[*]People who are locked into Microsofts products typically refer to this as Windows code page 1252.

Comment

Working...
            X