Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads up on great changes coming to FamilyTreeDNA.com

https://dna-explained.com/2021/06/30...familytreedna/

And today, Roberta Estes' has added her post "FamilyTreeDNA Relaunch - New Feature Overview."

Comment

Chromosome Browser now has only two choices for segment size: 6+ or 10+

They have recalculated all figures, no longer counting any segments under 6 cM and using imputation, so basically all my numbers have changed, many by quite a bit.

You can no longer choose to see "Close & Immediate" which was the category I regularly looked at - now you must choose Close or Immediate.
      Before, 2nd-4th Cousin was in Distant, now some of 2nd-4th Cousin is in Close and some of 2nd-4th Cousin is in Distant.

Before, if you deleted the name you were searching for, it reset itself. Now you click the little 'x' on the search bar after the entered name to have it reset -- minor, but it took me a while to discover.

Advanced Search is now down in the bottom section, "Additional Tests & Tools"

X-Match now shows how many cM match, not just yes or no
      Last edited by loobster; 1 July 2021, 08:00 PM.

Comment

And after having shown me FamilyFinder Matches - many pages - earlier, they now tell me
        "No Matches
        You do not match any other individual in our database at this time. Please check back regularly as new people join our database each day. Please contact us with any questions."

Comment

Same as loobster. "No matches". I had lots of matches. I hope they will fix it.

Comment

I logged into a couple of accounts I manage, and one showed "No matches." I re-loaded the page, and the matches showed up.

Comment

Are these changes either "great" or "exciting"? I'm not convinced. We won't know that until we have a lot more experience with the new layout and with the algorithms that we can't see. The most important change we could hope for, true triangulation of you, you selected match, and all other kits, isn't here yet. MyHeritage has it, and it's an enormous advance, a huge convenience.

Comment

And I'm interested in the problem of the Sephardic component. My father is 50% Ashkenazi. He has matches with segments of 8 cm or more, originally from North-East Mexico. Their ethnic composition is Iberian and they have 0% Ashkenazi component. Their ancestors fled from Spain or Portugal from the Inquisition 300,400,500 years ago. Experts say that the common segments (there are several of them) of my father and these people are Sephardic. But why does my father have 0% Sephardic component in MyOrigin? These segments are unlikely to be Ashkenazi, are they?

Comment

Originally posted by M123 View Post
                  And I'm interested in the problem of the Sephardic component. My father is 50% Ashkenazi. He has matches with segments of 8 cm or more, originally from North-East Mexico. Their ethnic composition is Iberian and they have 0% Ashkenazi component. Their ancestors fled from Spain or Portugal from the Inquisition 300,400,500 years ago. Experts say that the common segments (there are several of them) of my father and these people are Sephardic. But why does my father have 0% Sephardic component in MyOrigin? These segments are unlikely to be Ashkenazi, are they?
                  You might want to post this question in another sub-forum, such as "myOrigins Basics," or "Grumbles & Gripes" The topic of this thread, the recent changes to FamilyTreeDNA.com (per the Roberta Estes articles and the email sent to project administers), did not discuss any changes to myOrigins. Since myOrigins 3.0 came out in Sept. 2020, it's likely that it will be some time before we see any improvements to myOrigins.

Misattributed percentages and misidentified regions in myOrigins are not uncommon, unfortunately. It's best to look at the origins of your matches, anyway, since the aspect of DNA testing that is most reliable is the matching to other people. Admixture results are the least reliable aspect.
                  Last edited by KATM; 2 July 2021, 11:00 AM.

Comment

They wrote in a letter:

"New Feature Coming Soon

! - Chromosome Painter Later in July, we will release a new feature Chromosome Painter for Family Finder Chromosome Painter another way to study your myOrigins results It draws segments of your genome. with colors that represent populations in your results. Chromosome Painter goes beyond telling you your percentages by showing you where every segment of DNA in your lineage comes from. "

Hopefully they will also reveal in the chromosomes of Ashkenazi people many Sephardi segments, and not the amazing Ashkenazi segments in the chromosomes of humans whose ancestors were Sephardi and fled the Iberian Peninsula 500 years ago.
                    Last edited by M123; 2 July 2021, 12:49 PM.

Comment

All right, I stand corrected, as far as a coming new feature using myOrigins data. But, it still seems true that there is no mention of updating or changing myOrigins any time soon.

I do look forward to the Chromosome Painting. The email FTDNA sent to project administrators indicated it was among the new features coming in July, so it is imminent. Roberta Estes described the new Chromosome Painting feature under the subheading "Chromosome Ethnicity Painting" in her Feb. 2020 blog post "Sneak Preview: FamilyTreeDNA’s myOrigins Version 3.0." It seems that it will be similar to 23andMe's Chromosome Painting, based on their Ancestry Composition (no example of the painting is shown at the latter link, however).

If one has tested there, 23andMe has a link to your Chromosome Painting if you go to your Ancestry Overview page, where it's under Ancestry Composition as "DNA Painting," linked as "View Report." 23andMe allows a range of confidence levels for their Chromosome Painting from 50% (Speculative) to 90% (Conservative). I hope FTDNA's Chromosome Painter might offer similar confidence levels.

As I understand it, the Chromosome Painting will be based on the person's own myOrigins results, so if your father's results don't show any Sephardic percentage, it doesn't seem that any Sephardic segments would be shown in the Chromosome Painter. But, if you read the Sneak Preview post by Roberta Estes, she states:
                      I have three native segments identified. I’ve known about the segments on chromosome 1 and 2 for a long time, but the segment on chromosome 13 is new, and not previously identified by any other testing company.
                      That indicates that the possibility exists for finding a segment not previously identified for a particular population group. But, Roberta was a beta tester, so who knows if there have been any changes since over a year ago when she wrote her blog post.

Comment

I was able to see matches today even after the system worked on it for over half a minute.
                        i could be totally wrong, but I think they had told their system if it had not pulled any matches in maybe 5 or 10 seconds to report no matches and stop.
                        But with everyone that logged on to see the changes and check their matches, they slowed down the system, making those directions a bad idea. Think maybe they eliminated them or extended the time frame.
                        (Or maybe that whole idea is a total fantasy on my part)

Comment

Has anybody else tried the search?
                          Seems now, instead of just searching for what you enter, they include results that are close.
                          Think maybe that are the same except for up to two letters.

Is that what it seems like to others?
                          Do you like this better than an exact search?

Comment

Originally posted by M123 View Post
                            Those are certainly Sephardic segments but any segment that is sufficiently widespread in the Ashkenazic population will generally be classified as "Ashkenazi" without regard to its actual origin 500-600 years ago (Sephardi, Mizrahi, Romaniote, Italki, Polish, or German). 23andMe has the same problem. In Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins 3.0, my mother scores under 1% Sephardi but I score 0% Sephardi even though I inherited 5 of her 10 Sephardic segments and I got 5 more from my dad. The only non-Ashkenazic element that shows in my MyOrigins 3.0 is under 2% West Slavic.

There is no good automated "fix" for this because all of the modern Sephardic populations are themselves admixed with non-Sephardic elements including Romaniote, Ashkenazic, Moroccan, and Musta'arabi, there are far fewer Sephardic DNA testers than Ashkenazic DNA testers, and there are many Sephardic DNA segments for which no Sephardic Jewish match can be found even though we know that 600 years ago some Jews in Spain and Portugal would have had those segments as we find matches in modern Iberia and Latin America.

We discuss this in our "Sephardic World Migrations" project here at Family Tree DNA, which you are eligible to join. Have you and I talked before?

Comment

Good day.Thanks for the clear explanation.
                              I wish the segment labels were truthful and scientific. So that there is no such nonsense as Ashkenazi segments in people whose ancestors never married Ashkenazi.
                              I believe that the problem of autosomal Sephardic DNA may not only be interesting from a scientific point of view, but also important for Bnei anousim, as well as for proving the presence of Sephardic ancestors in people with Ashkenazi roots.Confirmation that my distant ancestor suffered from the Inquisition is important to me. The non-recognition of the Sephardic segments as Sephardic robs me and other Ashkenazi of a part of their past.
                              I am ready to provide the research laboratory with my data to improve testing of Sephardic segments in Ashkenazim and creating a catalog of Sephardic segments.
                              I have already written several messages in the group "Sephardic World Migrations". But I do not want to talk about my Sephardic segments in a whisper in a separate interest group, I want their official recognition.

Maria
                              Originally posted by khazaria View Post

Those are certainly Sephardic segments but any segment that is sufficiently widespread in the Ashkenazic population will generally be classified as "Ashkenazi" without regard to its actual origin 500-600 years ago (Sephardi, Mizrahi, Romaniote, Italki, Polish, or German). 23andMe has the same problem. In Family Tree DNA's MyOrigins 3.0, my mother scores under 1% Sephardi but I score 0% Sephardi even though I inherited 5 of her 10 Sephardic segments and I got 5 more from my dad. The only non-Ashkenazic element that shows in my MyOrigins 3.0 is under 2% West Slavic.

There is no good automated "fix" for this because all of the modern Sephardic populations are themselves admixed with non-Sephardic elements including Romaniote, Ashkenazic, Moroccan, and Musta'arabi, there are far fewer Sephardic DNA testers than Ashkenazic DNA testers, and there are many Sephardic DNA segments for which no Sephardic Jewish match can be found even though we know that 600 years ago some Jews in Spain and Portugal would have had those segments as we find matches in modern Iberia and Latin America.

We discuss this in our "Sephardic World Migrations" project here at Family Tree DNA, which you are eligible to join. Have you and I talked before?
                              Last edited by M123; 3 July 2021, 06:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X