Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KATM
    replied
    Unless there is news from someone else, such as a blogger who got a tip from someone "in the know," I would take the word of FTDNA's official blog post on myOrigins 3.0 that the chromosome painting that "We’ll have further information about this additional feature and perhaps others in 2021."

Leave a comment:

• Septem27
    replied
    When is the chromosome painting going to be released? Anyone here know??...

I saw on FTDNA's official blog that it might be 'til 2021 (next year)?

Leave a comment:

• cyriiltoxic
    replied
    Originally posted by wombat View Post

1. It's very hard to tell UK from certain parts of Germany so it might really be German.
    2. Some tens of thousands of Scottish people went to Poland and the Baltics between around 1600 and 1900.

probably one or the other or both of those at once
    I really thought, that I have some German before DNA testing, however I did not get any NW Europe on 23andme and AncestryDNA. My Polish ancestors were from Galicia, so not very close to Germany.

Leave a comment:

• wombat
    replied
    Originally posted by cyriiltoxic View Post
    I score 7% Great Britain without having recent NW European ancestry. Can It be ancient Celto-Germanic in Polish people?
    1. It's very hard to tell UK from certain parts of Germany so it might really be German.
    2. Some tens of thousands of Scottish people went to Poland and the Baltics between around 1600 and 1900.

probably one or the other or both of those at once

Leave a comment:

• Tenn4ever
    replied
    I'm uploading my FTDNA V3 and also V2 and also my new Ancestry ethnicity, plus MyHeritage and 23&Me so the differences can be seen. I have one line (actually two lines if husband and wife are included) from Baden-Württemberg,Germany and a second German line (husband and wife) from the area near Baden-Wurttemberg and before that from Switzerland. The second line was persecuted Mennonites who eventually left Germany for Pennsylvania Both lines have been documented with atDNA and one of the lines has been documented with Paternal DNA back to the 1500's in Switzerland. The new V3 results are the most incorrect of all of them. . They completely removed Central Europe which includes Germany which is a large chunk of my ethnicity.

FTDNA Ethnicity V2.pngFTDNA Ethnicity V3.pngAncestry Ethnicity .png23Me Ethnicity.pngMyHeritage Ethnicity.png

Leave a comment:

• raspchide
    replied
    Originally posted by EMC View Post
    I liked MY new results, but version 3.0 wasn't so good for the rest of my family. I wish FTDNA had some kind of phasing... I can't say MyOrigins is absurd because it doesn't miss the central point: our ancestry is from Southern Europe. But it seems they are having a hard time trying to untangle Italy from Iberia and Greece.

Comparison.png
    Find it fascinating though

Leave a comment:

• Tyree566
    replied
    I’m certain it’s true that British ancestry isn’t easy to discern from other Western European ethnicities. I do know however that ninety percent of my ancestors came from England and Scotland.. I have done testing with four other companies which all confirm my paper trail. I logged in to see my new my origins ethnicity report last week and saw 0% for Great Britain. I cannot take an autosomal test seriously that gives me 0% for a region where almost all of my ancestors came from.

Leave a comment:

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    The reason British ancestry is so difficult to identify is because so many different peoples settled there: Celts, Anglo-Saxons (Germans), Danes, Norse, French, etc. These are same peoples who settled Western Europe. Plus there was free movement for individuals in Western Europe most of the time, traders, mercenary soldiers, students. For example, about 30,000 Scots had immigrated to Poland by 1650. A lot of French settled in England after the Norman conquest, but I read that DNA studies have revealed that there was another massive influx of French to England that isn't found in historical records. I don't think they'll ever be able to pinpoint ethnicities for most people of Western European origin. A lot of times countries invited people from another country to immigrate for various reasons.

Leave a comment:

• Tyree566
    replied
    I Love FTDNA but this update is really bad for me. My ancestors are almost exclusively from England and Scotland and yet 3.0 gives me 0% for Great Britain and places my ancestry in Ireland, Scandinavia, and Central Europe. I am not sure why my British ancestry is such a challenge for my origins but it seems to be difficult for them to identify correctly.

Leave a comment:

• Tenn4ever
    replied
    Originally posted by Tenn4ever View Post
    This is the most laughable assessment I have ever seen of my ethnicity. When I have more time I will do another post and upload attachments showing an accurate assessment. This one is so far off that if I didn't know better I would say someone else's DNA was used. FTDNA's prior assessment was fairly close but this one is way off..
    I'm uploading my FTDNA V3 and also V2 and also my new Ancestry ethnicity, plus MyHeritage and 23&Me so the differences can be seen. I have one line (actually two lines if husband and wife are included) from Baden-Württemberg,Germany and a second German line (husband and wife) from the area near Baden-Wurttemberg and before that from Switzerland. The second line was persecuted Mennonites who eventually left Germany for Pennsylvania Both lines have been documented with atDNA and one of the lines has been documented with Paternal DNA back to the 1500's in Switzerland. The new V3 results are the most incorrect of all of them. . They completely removed Central Europe which includes Germany which is a large chunk of my ethnicity.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• cyriiltoxic
    replied
    I score 7% Great Britain without having recent NW European ancestry. Can It be ancient Celto-Germanic in Polish people?

Leave a comment:

• Jeff H
    replied
    I was flabbergasted by the changes from Version 2 to 3. I have a good chunk of Puritan ancestry going back to the Great migration, and version 2 had me 42% British Isles. Version 3 has no British Isles ancestry at all, but includes 15% Irish, about right when a great-grandmother was born here of Potato famine Irish parents. The 10% Iberian that had baffled me has vanished, replaced by less than 1% of Basque. Version 3 has suddenly given me 56% Central European ancestry, replacing the 10% Eastern European and 42% British Isles in Version 2.

The absence of any British Isles component feels wrong. My wife has Irish, Scottish, English and Eastern European roots, and version 3 leaves her with 20-some percent British.

On the other hand, my Ashkenazi grandfather shows up loud and clear in both, 28% in Version 2 and 23% in version 3. I know Germanic people and Vikings migrated to the British Isles, but how did my ancestry managed to miss any of the original Brits? What was changed?

Leave a comment:

• MoberlyDrake
    replied
    Why do ethnicity estimates get more inaccurate with each update? Not only here but at Ancestry too. Ancestry had my mother about right update before last, but the most recent one isn't right at all. I haven't yet received updates for myself and my cousins here, but they didn't do very well on my parents. My mother is about 75% French and German, but FTDNA only gives her 3% Central Europe. I've traced her lines back to 1600 in some lines in France. They give her 65% Great Britain. No one has ever given her much Scandinavian before but now she has 24%. I can't rule out a Scandinavian ancestor, as I have some brick walls in colonial America, but 24% is ridiculous.

My father, whose father came from Abruzzo, Italy, and whose mother came from Termini Imerese, Sicily, is suddenly more Central European than my mother! Plus Magyar! His Middle Eastern has dropped, though I expect Middle Eastern in someone from Sicily. And he's 24% Greece and Balkans. Not much more than half Italian in this newest version!

Leave a comment:

• Minosse
    replied
    I'm Sicilian 100% and for the new version I became 92% Italian peninsula with 7% Irish and 1% Magyar, then 0% Greek and 0% Maltese etc. It's funny, I think there's something wrong there. The previous version was more realistic.

Leave a comment:

• EMC
    replied
    I liked MY new results, but version 3.0 wasn't so good for the rest of my family. I wish FTDNA had some kind of phasing... I can't say MyOrigins is absurd because it doesn't miss the central point: our ancestry is from Southern Europe. But it seems they are having a hard time trying to untangle Italy from Iberia and Greece.

Comparison.png

Leave a comment:

Working...
X