No announcement yet.

sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone on reddit said FTDNA said the update will be released at the end of the year...

Comment

Originally posted by m_jahmed View Post
      Someone on reddit said FTDNA said the update will be released at the end of the year...
      Where did this person get their information? Because I certainly hope that this is true. I try not to be frustrated with FTDNA for postponing the update, however I'm still a little shocked by the fact that they almost did it before the stability of the website and the quality control was completely certain! Maybe next time they'll plan a little more first before they try to jump into such a big change, and maybe they also won't tell us until they're ready, too.

Comment

Well, the end of the year is a little late, considering the info they gave out not too long ago. Kind of a drag to get customers' hopes up and then fail to deliver.

Comment

I upgraded my import of atDNA from 23andMe after seeing the 3.0 previews by Roberta Estes and others (from webinars and articles) in March 2020. I was very disappointed with the result of 2.0, but hope that the 3.0 upgrade will be worth the expense. Compared to others ancestry databases, it was very underwhelming (almost felt very dated ~2012 for DNA Ancestry services). I am relatively happy with my YDNA analysis, STR111 and subsequent upgrade to Big Y-700.

Comment

So interestingly Ancestry posted that they are having an update to their ethnic breakdown very soon & it should be within a couple of weeks. Contrast that with ftdna. Lol. It’s been months & months & no communication & nothing.... they really have the worst service & tbh I have not found anything with their products. Ancestry may be a lesser product but I found my dad’s birth father with their shared matches/common ancestors (matching trees w/dna) tool, confirmed lines of previously unknown Jewish heritage, & found many cousins. For a much cheaper price. Plus there is a number I can call. It’s not the best but this is just abysmal.

Comment

Originally posted by mollyblum View Post
              So interestingly Ancestry posted that they are having an update to their ethnic breakdown very soon & it should be within a couple of weeks. Contrast that with ftdna. Lol. It’s been months & months & no communication & nothing.... they really have the worst service & tbh I have not found anything with their products. Ancestry may be a lesser product but I found my dad’s birth father with their shared matches/common ancestors (matching trees w/dna) tool, confirmed lines of previously unknown Jewish heritage, & found many cousins. For a much cheaper price. Plus there is a number I can call. It’s not the best but this is just abysmal.
              I agree with you on some points. Family Tree's customer service is a joke. I don't consider Ancestry a lesser product....JUST the opposite. It's the product which has helped me more than any DNA testing service help me find parents and siblings for friends and relatives. With a chromosome browser they would leave FTDNA in the dust as far as autosomal testing. FTDNA's saving product is their Y testing which is top of the line. If someone needs help finding a parent I would ALWAYS tell them to first test with Ancestry because of their gigantic data base and then upload to Gedmatch and Family Tree but I would tell them to at the same time to do a Y test with Family Tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Kra794 View Post
                when I open My Origins now It is tagged as Version 2, that wasn't there last week, hoping to see it soon! and perhaps detail my african ancestry.
                My ... My Origins ... continues as Version 2. The ancestral suggestions are so far-off/different than the other several tests I've taken elsewhere I don't take it seriously. I'm interested in seeing how Version 3 reports.

Comment

Hard to believe we still have to sneak around and still not have anything useful from version 3.0. No point in speculating, it's not real until it's here.

Comment

The least they could do is guess how long " working out the bugs " will take.

Comment

The new Ancestry ethnicity breakdown has been released. Unlike Ftdna they announced & released within a week or two no glitches. I really don’t get what goes on with this company!!?? It is so poorly RUN!! Bad customer service, no consistency, poor communication, & they just don’t care. I don’t know how they stay in business?

Anyway... the Ancestry product once again completely misses my Italian & Balkan & Turkish ancestry. Not just with me but my nephew & my mom’s 1st cousin. & they missed our Sephardic ancestry in me & my mom’s 1st cousin. That part doesn’t surprise me bc it’s not a huge% but 23 & me & Ftdna usually pick it up. But the Italian & Balkan parts are weird. I am at least 15%-not a small percentage. To just miss that...& my cousin is even higher. & she is Jewish which they totally missed as well. It’s like they have issues if you are too mixed. My Scandinavian was also listed much lower than it actually is. They are starting to break down your ethnicity into countries- ie. Norway & then even further based on population.

Anyway I take it all with a grain of salt.

Comment

mollyblum, well, as far as putting out updates, Ancestry does have some large advantages over FTDNA.
                        • Ancestry is a much bigger company, with many more resources. I'm not talking about how many people they have in their DNA database, although it is many, many times larger than FTDNA.
                        • Rather, Ancestry has a continuous influx of money from subscriptions to their records databases, which allows them to hire more IT personnel, and afford to buy TV ads which in turn brings in more customers for DNA tests who may eventually subscribe, a nice source of potential income.
                        FTDNA is a much smaller company still run by the people who started it, and I daresay it is the smallest of the four major companies that test DNA for genealogy. They have no supplemental income from yearly subscriptions; their income is based on fees for testing, which has its limits. It's apples and oranges for these two companies due to the income factor. Ancestry has always been, still is, and will be, a subscription for records service; DNA testing was something popular, so they jumped on the bandwagon to offer it as another source of income. Based on their record for other aspects of DNA testing, they may well discontinue their offering some day, if it ever becomes a drag on their bottom line. For FTDNA, DNA testing is their reason for existing.

Ancestry has invested a lot into advertising their ethnicity estimates (don't we all remember the lederhosen commercial?), so it has a large amount of customers who are interested in those estimates. Thus, Ancestry has an incentive, and the money, to invest in the technology and personnel to work on updates and get it right the first time.

How often have you seen a TV advertisement for FTDNA? I may have seen one, once. It is beyond their budget. It is no wonder that FTDNA cannot hire the same quantity (and possibly quality) of programmers to work on their myOrigins, which Ancestry can afford for their DNA Origins. The remaining factor is time; given enough time, FTDNA will produce an update. It will simply take longer. I recall an old business saying, roughly based on the Project Management Triangle (paraphrased): "Time, quality, cost: pick two." Which means, if you want a product/service quickly and of good quality, it will cost more. If you want it inexpensively and quickly, you will get a product of lower quality. If you want good quality and inexpensively, it will take more time. We can hope that FTDNA will give us a good quality update; certainly the preview of it described in the Roberta Estes blog post with which I started this thread indicates some promising features that other companies don't have.

As you say, we take these estimates with a grain of salt, and we should. They are an extra feature that pulls customers in. I get frustrated with FTDNA, too, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not really worth getting too worked up about the update to myOrigins. The other complaints you mentioned, regarding customer service, communication, etc. can be in another thread in Grumbles and Gripes.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                          mollyblum, well, as far as putting out updates, Ancestry does have some large advantages over FTDNA.
                          I'm trying to view the tree of a match on Ancestry. I get the following message, 'We're sorry we couldn't redirect you to the right place. You can visit our homepage or try again later. When I click on the link to visit their home page I get the same message. This has been happening for HOURS!!!

FTDNA has their problems, but I'm not paying a bucket full for an annual subscription!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                            FTDNA has their problems, but I'm not paying a bucket full for an annual subscription!
                            Agreed!

Also, I should add a caveat to my last comment. Family Tree DNA is a part of parent company Gene by Gene, Ltd., so there is that source of funding. Even if underwritten by Gene by Gene, I still think FTDNA's income is nowhere near what Ancestry's is.

Comment

Working...
                            X