No announcement yet.

sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"It will be interesting for people who have tested at both FTDNA and 23andMe to compare the breakdown as shown in the respective Chromosome Painting features. No doubt there will be a difference in the two companies' interpretations.[/QUOTE]"

KATM . Thanks for mentioning this as I am waiting on 23andMe results and I wasn't aware of all their tools. I don't know if 23 is slow with customers or what but I mailed my sample Friday, it got there yesterday and is already being extracted with a result date of July 6th. I was happily surprised at how quick they moved, but I wasn't sure if that is the norm. Getting my 23 results will hold me over from the excitement of waiting on 3.0, lol. I don't think FT did a bad job, they got the general areas spot on but the % values seem way off. (Now I know this isn't an an exact science and will differ from Co. to Co, but so far GED Match is the only place that really came close to the ancestry I am aware of). Being new to all this, I am pretty excited to see how 3.0 breaks out my origins.

Please keep us posted !

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
      I went back to Roberta's article, and see the following mentioned about comparing:

So, if we see an identified segment for some biogeographical area, and can determine that a match shares that segment (or a portion of it) in common with us, then I suppose that will help to narrow down our backgrounds more accurately.

Now that I think about it, this Chromosome Ethnicity Painting feature is similar to the Chromosome Painting at 23andMe (which is at the bottom of the Ancestry Composition page). At 23andMe, you can adjust the "confidence level" from 50% speculative to 90% conservative, and the Chromosome Painting can be phased if a parent has also tested there. So it may be a bit different than what FTDNA is supposed to offer. 23andMe does not give the exact cM information for the segments in their Chromosome Painting, and does not offer a download of the painted chromosome segment locations (which if I interpret Roberta's description correctly, FTDNA plans to do).

It will be interesting for people who have tested at both FTDNA and 23andMe to compare the breakdown as shown in the respective Chromosome Painting features. No doubt there will be a difference in the two companies' interpretations.
      Good, because that ( as well as the vastly updated populations ) are part of what I am anticipating the most. I know that ethnicity estimates are just that, an estimate, but I was stamped with a huge hunk of Western European and, as far as I know, that should come from two German names on my father's side and some Dutch and Austrian on my mother's maternal grandfather's side. And yet, my father has no Western Eurepean at all , which I suppose could indicate that it was a little too far back and was bred out by heavy additions of British Isles, and the Western European on my mother's side intermarried in the early 1800s not to mention that I have matches which I believe may be coming from my mother's maternal grandmother's side who also have considerable proportions of Western European, but I don't have as much information on that branch of my family so I'm not sure if that means anything or not.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post

I have not heard of any announcement since the one sent to group administrators, posted by Jim Barret, above. So we have to have patience and hope it will be relatively soon.

Please note that the state of Texas, and among others, the city of Houston specifically (where the FTDNA offices and employees are located) are currently experiencing an increase in COVID-19 cases. I'm sure we all hope that everyone at FTDNA is staying safe and will remain healthy.
        It has nothing to do with all this,and the fact that they updated the BigY matching few days ago is a proof.

Comment

mar7aba l feni22i lol
          i am waiting for it as well

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenicianLebnon View Post
            It has nothing to do with all this,and the fact that they updated the BigY matching few days ago is a proof.
            If you mean that DNA matching (for whichever test) is continuing to show new matches, I believe that is an automated process.

Fixing problems with myOrigins 3.0 is more likely a programming issue, and needs the IT staff to work on it, likely from home with the way things are currently. We have no idea if any FTDNA employees, IT staff or not, have fallen ill with COVID-19. There is that possibility, and it could affect the rollout of the update to myOrigins. You are free to agree with my humble opinion or not.

I will look on the bright side and hope they are working on it now, for release soon. We can't know until there is an announcement from FTDNA, though.

Comment

Hi , do you know how are things with compromising the stability of Family Tree DNA website?

Comment

cyrilltoxic, not sure what you mean by "compromising the stability." I see reports now and then from people having a hard time loading pages, or logging in, but that is also true for other sites that do DNA testing for genealogy. Sometimes these sites get overloaded during times when a lot of people are trying to access them.

Comment

how do you think, when will be myorigins update?

Comment

When they have it ready. At that time they will let us know. Anything else is guess work, which doesn't help anyone.

Comment

You literally can’t tell me a whole month wasn’t enough to fix the issue with the website

Comment

Originally posted by m_jahmed View Post
                        You literally can’t tell me a whole month wasn’t enough to fix the issue with the website
                        We don't know what is going on behind the scenes, so no one can tell if they need a month or not. I am not assuming that FTDNA has a crackerjack IT team working on it night and day. I'm occupying myself with other things, and will be happily surprised when myOrigins 3.0 is released.

Comment

Originally posted by m_jahmed View Post
                          Do you think FTDAN's IT team might also be working on other things.

Maybe some of the IT staff has COVID-19.

One thing is for sure. When they do release the new myorigins there will be some people who will like it and there will be some people who will hate it. There will be some people, like me, who will look at the new results page but really won't care one way or the other. I know it won't change who I am!

Comment

I'm looking forward to it. Right now I have too much Scandinavian and too little British, so I hope it fixes that. Maybe the excess Scandinavian reflects Viking ancestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevo View Post
                              I'm looking forward to it. Right now I have too much Scandinavian and too little British, so I hope it fixes that. Maybe the excess Scandinavian reflects Viking ancestry.
                              It very well could reflect Scandinavian Viking ancestry. I think people would be surprised just how unique each person's ethnic composition is, and just how much history is reflected in the DNA of today.

Comment

Does anyone know anything new? It’s been over a month since they said they were fixing things & no updates. They have the worst communication of any company! And poor planning to boot. I think this happens every time they roll out some new product or upgrade. You would think they would learn their lesson! Other companies don’t have these issues?? I hope the results aren’t as disappointing as last time

Comment

Working...
                                X