sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Group Project Administrators,

We are delaying the release of myOrigins 3.0. After discovering issues in the final stages of QA, we've made the difficult decision to postpone the release to avoid the risk of compromising the stability of our website as we work to address the issue.

When we have an expected launch date, we will let you know. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve all issues.

We apologize for any inconvenience and for the change in plans.

Sincerely,
    FamilyTreeDNA

Comment

Well THAT's a disappointing development! One would think that quality control and any type of beta testing would have been completed BEFORE the announcement. I suppose some unforeseen glitches showed up.

Comment

While disappointing, the update is appreciated. Hopefully the bugs are worked out soon!

Comment

Living DNA did the same when they were updating the website lol

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenicianLebnon View Post
            Living DNA did the same when they were updating the website lol
            Did living DNA delay for a long time? Just asking out of curiosity.

Comment

for two weeks if I remember

Comment

Originally posted by PhoenicianLebnon View Post
                for two weeks if I remember
                Thanks !

Comment

I seriously can’t wait another month... man i hate FTDNA.

Comment

Well, I'd rather have them do it right, than introduce it with flaws. I'm not that invested in revised bio-geographical estimates to work up anger over a delay.

Comment

that's really a bummer that the update got delayed, does anyone know when they are going to release the update now?

Comment

Their announcement said "When we have an expected launch date, we will let you know. We are working as quickly as possible to resolve all issues."

Comment

Originally posted by Kra794 View Post
                          that's really a bummer that the update got delayed, does anyone know when they are going to release the update now?
                          I have not heard of any announcement since the one sent to group administrators, posted by Jim Barret, above. So we have to have patience and hope it will be relatively soon.

Please note that the state of Texas, and among others, the city of Houston specifically (where the FTDNA offices and employees are located) are currently experiencing an increase in COVID-19 cases. I'm sure we all hope that everyone at FTDNA is staying safe and will remain healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                            Well, I'd rather have them do it right, than introduce it with flaws. I'm not that invested in revised bio-geographical estimates to work up anger over a delay.
                            Do you think that the new feature on chromosome browser which will help us compare our common ethnic populations according to the information on our chromosomes will help us narrow down the truth about our ethnic backgrounds at least a little more accurately?

Comment

I went back to Roberta's article, and see the following mentioned about comparing:
                              Additionally, your segment locations (via a download) will be available to you in order that you can do segment matching.

At Family Tree DNA your matching includes, and will continue to include ethnicity if people opt-in to sharing their ethnicity with matches. The addition of segment information offers another genealogy tool. In other words, if you and a match both have Native ancestry, and both match on a common identified Native segment, that suggests a specific common ancestor from whom that segment descended.

If you triangulate on that same ancestor with multiple people and can identify common ancestors, you may be able to track that segment back several generations and you’ll be able to identify which line! How cool is that!!!
                              So, if we see an identified segment for some biogeographical area, and can determine that a match shares that segment (or a portion of it) in common with us, then I suppose that will help to narrow down our backgrounds more accurately.

Now that I think about it, this Chromosome Ethnicity Painting feature is similar to the Chromosome Painting at 23andMe (which is at the bottom of the Ancestry Composition page). At 23andMe, you can adjust the "confidence level" from 50% speculative to 90% conservative, and the Chromosome Painting can be phased if a parent has also tested there. So it may be a bit different than what FTDNA is supposed to offer. 23andMe does not give the exact cM information for the segments in their Chromosome Painting, and does not offer a download of the painted chromosome segment locations (which if I interpret Roberta's description correctly, FTDNA plans to do).

It will be interesting for people who have tested at both FTDNA and 23andMe to compare the breakdown as shown in the respective Chromosome Painting features. No doubt there will be a difference in the two companies' interpretations.

Comment

I minimized my expectations from ethnic estimate algorithms of commercial DNA companies. Because they name their components like what people want to see. Additional some geographical componenets directly linked to some etnic minorities which may yield wrong results for some people. Unfortunatly all companies doing those mistakes. At last its metter of mixture problem and those kind of results does not show "when that happened". Just shows current situation.

But in my opinion My origins is the much succesfull commercial company so far on showing accurency of etnic estimation. Now in Myorigins 3 they add 67 more components. Its very hard work and will be arguable for many people. I wish they will be succesfull. Just patience. Its not easy work.

Comment

Working...
                                X