No announcement yet.

sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea how soon we might expect the update? I know it's delayed, but some news on it would be nice. Especially since there's not much else to do for some of us now.

Comment

Originally posted by mldietrich View Post
      I don't think they had a specific date but they have made it so you cannot click on trace amounts and show those on the map. So they are preparing for those to likely disappear and prevent disappointment. If it is like Ancestry or 23andme they are stepping off trace findings. One update they might move it to not on map, the next to a hidden not showing, taking it down to disappear and they won't say it was inaccurate, just the new update is more accurate. Then add something back in with another update. Kind of frustrating.
      Isn't the chromosome painting feature meant to benefit those interested in trace findings/admixture?

Comment

Hi,

I made the assumption this update was launched but I just got my origins results today and it is version 2.0

Comment

I think that there will be a discussion in the forums and in genealogy blogs whenever version 3.0 is actually released. Have patience for the new update, as it may be a while longer due to the virus. Do your results seem accurate to you?

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
            I think that there will be a discussion in the forums and in genealogy blogs whenever version 3.0 is actually released. Have patience for the new update, as it may be a while longer due to the virus. Do your results seem accurate to you?
            Hi KATM,

Thanks for asking ! Actually, I have a question if I may?? My Grandmother is from the U.K. with our family mainly from the south and s. east area of "England". Most of my maternal side has Norman in origin surnames (Also Some French, Anglo-Saxon, Irish, Scottish surnames). Because of a repetitive theme of seeing Norman Origins, I thought my ethnicities would include British Isles and some Scandinavian. FT only showed the British isles with no Scandinavian. However, when I uploaded my raw data to My Heritage, they show me with 0% British origins and 17% Scandinavian instead. Really wondering why FT and My Heritage were different from this?? Seeing the Scandinavian supports the Norman origins I kept finding, but really what makes them different? Any articles or any info would help! Much appreciated.

FT ethnic.PNG

my heritage.PNG

Comment

MyHeritage shows me with 4.9% Italian. I have no Italian shown at 23andMe, Ancestry or FTDNA.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                MyHeritage shows me with 4.9% Italian. I have no Italian shown at 23andMe, Ancestry or FTDNA.
                Thanks! That is helpful! I am new to genetics and genealogy so having input and perspective from others is much appreciated. Do you think my heritage s algorithm for ethnic makeup is just off? I expected family tree of all places to be more detailed in their ethnic calculations.
                i will say that I did upload my autosomal To LivingDNA and paid for their ethnic % interpretation. I was pretty impressed as LivingDNA is much more detailed especially with their British Ancestry. They were spot on to marching where in the UK my Grandmother was from. ( South East and South( hampshire) England)
                When is comes to the autosomal ethnic origins and pop clusters, I think living DNA sets the bar higher, and hopefully the new 3.0 will be its equal in detail because overall I really like FT but wasn’t as impressed with the my origins.

Still curious as to why my heritage seems “off” like in our examples compared to other companies.

Comment

Currently, the common opinion is that 23andMe and Ancestry have the better ethnicity estimates. FTDNA and MyHeritage rank below those, with MyHeritage possibly the worst of the bunch. Both FTDNA and MyHeritage are supposed to update their ethnicity tools sometime this year, so things may change then.

Each company uses there own blend of reference populations, and the algorithms to predict biogeographical regions. Just based on that, your results would differ from one company to the next. Add the possible lack of perfection to those ingredients, and results not only differ, but may differ a lot. Checking the origins of your matches is a better indicator than the ethnicity estimates. If most of your matches show similar matches to the ethnic groups you know of your ancestors, then you can be reassured.

I've heard others say that LivingDNA was very good for their British origins. LivingDNA does use information from the People of the British Isles project (POBI) in their estimates (link is to a blog post from 2017, but does mention POBI and how the results fared).

Then there are these articles by "The Legal Genealogist, Judy G. Russell, about how ethnicity estimates are not perfect:You get the drift, I think!

Comment

KATM

Thank you again for more resources. You seem to be holding it down for the FT forums as you are one of the few that answer lol. It is much appreciated. That said, I did expect some fluctuation between companies, but being new to this, I guess I just assumed there was like one or 2 big reference pops that would be used. What you are saying makes perfect sense though. The interesting thing is when I upload my data to GEDmatch, in their ancient pop groups, I match with the Hinxtons ones and also with a lot of the Swedish groups(Rise 94,97,98,Gokhem 2 ect).

Here is my living DNA results so you get an idea of the detail. The description of each location is very thorough and well written IMO. For anyone like myself looking to know more of British Origins, I would definitely recommend this test. However, if FT is going to jump up to 90 pop clusters, I am guessing they will focus in more detail of British Isles as well.

living.PNG

Comment

I know that they had to delay due to COVID-19, but I certainly hope that the changes are at least ready by July, though at this point even that may be too much to ask.

Comment

Just received this email from FTDNA (I highlighted the "when" part of the myOrigins 3.0 info in red):
                        FamilyTreeDNA Update
                        Dear Group Project Administrators,

We are excited to announce the following updates that we will begin releasing today, June 5th, and in the coming weeks.
                        myOrigins 3.0

We have nearly tripled the number of populations in Family Finder's myOrigins report! We will release a white paper in the coming months that will include the science behind the new myOrigins, but here is a little information about the new populations.

New Populations
                        • The new myOrigins includes 90 reference populations sourced from 8,053 individual samples.
                        • These populations break down as follows:
                          • 33 from Asia and Oceania
                          • 27 from Europe and the Middle East
                          • 21 from Africa and the Americas
                        When will users get results?
                        • Approximately 287,000 testers will display the update upon release next week.
                        • The remainder of the database will be updated in waves.
                        • Priority will be given to those who have most recently signed in to their kits.
                        • Those who have not signed in for a year or more will be last to get the updated version of myOrigins.
                        • For those kits who do not receive the update next week, an email will be sent to the primary email address on the kit when the new results are ready to view.
                        • New testers or transfers who get results after the release will receive only the myOrigins 3.0 results, not the 2.0.
                        • A CSV file summary of myOrigins 2.0 results will be available on the dashboard for a limited time.
                        Big Y STR Results

Thanks to the improvement in our Big Y STR technology and quality thresholds, reanalyzing current Big Y data is allowing us to provide additional STR values at no charge. SNP results will not be affected by this update.

This reanalysis will go as follows:
                        • Big Y-700 customers should have received additional STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 over the last few weeks.
                        • Big Y-500 customers will receive additional STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 in the next few days.
                        • Once all customers have been updated, STR calls in Panels 6 and 7 for all customers will be refined based on improvements to our quality control thresholds.
                        It’s important to note:
                        • For Big Y-700 testers, up until now, if there was a call at a location in the 500 but not in the 700, we preserved the 500 call. With the update to the STR calling process, Big Y-700 testers will only have those STRs called in the 700, which may mean some no-calls at positions that previously had values.
                        • While Big Y-500 customers will receive some additional STR values, the only way to guarantee that a tester receives the full 700 STRs is to upgrade to Big Y-700.
                        If you have any questions about these updates, please contact the FamilyTreeDNA Groups Team at [email protected].

We hope you are all safe and healthy. Thank you for all of the work you do with your projects!

Sincerely,
                        FamilyTreeDNA
                        Last edited by KATM; 5 June 2020, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Just received this email from FTDNA (I highlighted the "when" part of the myOrigins 3.0 info in red):
                          Okay, forgive my mellow-dramatic " I guess July's too soon to hope for "... LOL . I had no idea you were a group administrator, but I sure am glad you are or we wouldn't get this all too relieving heads up! Thank you so much!

Comment

So we’re getting the update on monday?

Comment

Originally posted by m_jahmed View Post
                              So we’re getting the update on monday?
                              All I know is what was said in the email in my last post. From that email, it seems that they will start releasing myOrigins 3.0 to customers next week (not necessarily on Monday), and will do the release in waves, or stages, after that.

According to ISOGG's chart comparing the autosomal DNA testing companies, FTDNA has about 1,150,000 people in their autosomal database. According to the email, about 287,000 of those will receive myOrigins 3.0 next week. Therefore, most people will be receiving the update AFTER next week, and will receive an email when the new results are ready:
                              For those kits who do not receive the update next week, an email will be sent to the primary email address on the kit when the new results are ready to view.
                              I just checked the two kits I most frequently log into, of the several kits I manage, and both still show myOrigins 2.0. Patience is needed. At least we know the update is imminent.

Comment

All I know is what was said in the email in my last post. From that email, it seems that they will start releasing myOrigins 3.0 to customers next week (not necessarily on Monday), and will do the release in waves, or stages, after that.

According to ISOGG's chart comparing the autosomal DNA testing companies, FTDNA has about 1,150,000 people in their autosomal database. According to the email, about 287,000 of those will receive myOrigins 3.0 next week. Therefore, most people will be receiving the update AFTER next week, and will receive an email when the new results are ready:

I just checked the two kits I most frequently log into, of the several kits I manage, and both still show myOrigins 2.0. Patience is needed. At least we know the update is imminent.
                                KATM

Thank you so much for posting this!! Great News! I don't mind waiting a few more weeks. (I will post and let you know when mine updates just as a general FYI for this thread)

"Priority will be given to those who have most recently signed in to their kits". - I sign in everyday lol, hope this holds true lol
                                Last edited by Melissa122; 6 June 2020, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X