sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sneak preview of MyOrigins 3.0

Roberta Estes' post today reports on FTNDA's presentation at RootsTech, in which they discussed new features coming to myOrigins 3.0.

There will be new population clusters, increased from the current 24 in myOrigins 2.0, to 90 in myOrigins 3.0. Plus, a new Chromosome Ethnicity Painting tool is coming.

I will be interested to see if the changes are as drastic as Ancestry and 23andme have been. FTDNA gave me 5% Middle Eastern, no family history of that and was supposed to be a Native American person in family on mom's side.

Comment

More populations is good; whether they assign them correctly remains to be seen. But, this is true at all the companies, which is why they are called "estimates" and are to be taken with a large grain of salt.

Comment

When the clusters and regions update, they won't edit our results from previous tests according to these new modifications will they, wouldn't you have to buy another test?

Comment

There was a question in the comments (see the article, link in the first post).

Q: Do you need to be tested on their newest platform to benefit from these?

A: Roberta Estes on February 28, 2020 at 4:27 pm said:
          No. Everyone who has an autosomal test, whether they tested there or transferred will receive this.

Waiting, waiting for the new toy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Rhonda Hatton View Post
            When the clusters and regions update, they won't edit our results from previous tests according to these new modifications will they, wouldn't you have to buy another test?
            At other companies (23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage), this has not been the case; they simply update your existing ethnicity estimate. It has been the same at FTDNA; there was no need to buy another test. FTDNA has simply given customers their new ethnicity estimates at no charge, when they updated from Population Finder to myOrigins, then to myOrigins 2.0. So I see no reason to expect any requirement for a new test.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post

At other companies (23andMe, Ancestry, MyHeritage), this has not been the case; they simply update your existing ethnicity estimate. It has been the same at FTDNA; there was no need to buy another test. FTDNA has simply given customers their new ethnicity estimates at no charge, when they updated from Population Finder to myOrigins, then to myOrigins 2.0. So I see no reason to expect any requirement for a new test.
              Thank you, this will be interesting and may help a bit with research. When will this modification come? Sorry to ask so many questions here, I know that all of you don't work at FTDNA, but I can be slow keeping up with things sometimes!

Comment

I don't think they had a specific date but they have made it so you cannot click on trace amounts and show those on the map. So they are preparing for those to likely disappear and prevent disappointment. If it is like Ancestry or 23andme they are stepping off trace findings. One update they might move it to not on map, the next to a hidden not showing, taking it down to disappear and they won't say it was inaccurate, just the new update is more accurate. Then add something back in with another update. Kind of frustrating.

Comment

This is an exciting update. The My Origins 2.0 seems way off in terms of identifying my ethnicity.

Comment

Is it just me or does it look like France and Germany are being at least roughly separated on this new map?

Comment

It seems so to me, and also that a part of France is covered by a cluster that includes the UK or Britain. The images in Roberta's post are too small for me to make it out very well, and they don't enlarge when clicked upon. I'm sure that was something she had to agree to in order to post the images, if FTDNA provided them to her. They do not look like photos taken of the presentation slides.

If you are registered with the Anthrogenica forum, there is a thread there for MyOrigins 3.0. Apparently one poster there contacted FTDNA recently, and was told that the plan had been to roll out MyOrigins 3.0 in March or April, but due to the Coronavirus pandemic, all employees who do not handle samples are working at home. This might delay the update, but they don't know at this point. The person who contacted FTDNA also asked about information for the new population clusters, but they said they could not disclose that information.

Comment

It seems so to me, and also that a part of France is covered by a cluster that includes the UK or Britain. The images in Roberta's post are too small for me to make it out very well, and they don't enlarge when clicked upon. I'm sure that was something she had to agree to in order to post the images, if FTDNA provided them to her. They do not look like photos taken of the presentation slides.

If you are registered with the Anthrogenica forum, there is a thread there for MyOrigins 3.0. Apparently one poster there contacted FTDNA recently, and was told that the plan had been to roll out MyOrigins 3.0 in March or April, but due to the Coronavirus pandemic, all employees who do not handle samples are working at home. This might delay the update, but they don't know at this point. The person who contacted FTDNA also asked about information for the new population clusters, but they said they could not disclose that information.
                        Thank you, this may be quite interesting : I hope that the update won't be delayed too long.

Comment

Roberta Estes' post today reports on FTNDA's presentation at RootsTech, in which they discussed new features coming to myOrigins 3.0.

There will be new population clusters, increased from the current 24 in myOrigins 2.0, to 90 in myOrigins 3.0. Plus, a new Chromosome Ethnicity Painting tool is coming.
                          I like the look of this, and some of my grandchildren that have tested will have an interesting result in the new myOrigins 3.0, according to one example shown by Roberta's post.

Comment

I can't wait for this!

when I open My Origins now It is tagged as Version 2, that wasn't there last week, hoping to see it soon! and perhaps detail my african ancestry.

Comment

When I signed in to FTDNA today it said they were having a DNA day sale. I wonder if the changes will come in about a month when a lot of the results from the tests bought on sale will be coming back, and if the tests purchased during the sale will be packaged differently when they're getting ready to update, like the packaging changed before an update the last time.

Comment

Working...
                              X