• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedmatch bought by Verogen

Is this a good thing, or ??

One article about it here:
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/4530817

Once GEDmatch was used by LEA to find the Golden State killer the number of new uploads dropped drastically. It only has 1.3 million DNA uploads. And the new GEDmatch is less useful than the original GEDmatch.

It would seem that most people doing DNA tests purposely avoid uploading to GEDmatch

I still have my DNA there, but find it to be rather useless. Then again I also find FTDNA to be rather useless.

Comment

Originally posted by jimbirk View Post
      I still have my DNA there, but find it to be rather useless. Then again I also find FTDNA to be rather useless.
      Any place I can get a match is useful to me. Any place I can get a match and an email address for that match is more useful.

Comment

We may have reached the point where, at least for the population that has access and can afford the test, most of those who are interested in autosomal DNA matching for genealogical purposes have already taken the test. The technology is no longer seen as "new", and diminishing returns have set in. I'm not seeing a large number of new matches anywhere. Now it's a matter of patience and persistence, just like any other aspect of genealogy.

Comment

Verogen is "soley dedicated to forensic science". When you login you are given a choice to agree and continue, or delete everything. Their terms of use were not acceptable to me (I hope people read them), and I decided to delete.

Comment

For details:

Comment

I received an email today from Curtis Rogers. Sounds like they are very worried that users are fleeing GEDmatch after the takeover by Verogen.

Comment

Working...
              X