Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Updating TOS and Privacy Statement Regarding Law Enforcement Matching Preferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updating TOS and Privacy Statement Regarding Law Enforcement Matching Preferences

https://mailchi.mp/familytreedna/upd...9?e=dfef197239

Code:
    We Are Updating Our Terms of Service and Privacy Statement Regarding Law Enforcement Matching Preferences

Dear Group Project Administrators,

We are emailing you to notify you of changes that we have made to our Terms of Service, Privacy Statement, and other
    guidelines and processes which govern how law enforcement may use our site. We now require all law enforcement
    authorities to register accounts under a special process, designed specifically for law enforcement and third parties
    working with law enforcement, which allows them to participate in our DNA matching program.

Our new policy changes to allow registration of law enforcement accounts will take effect today, March 12th.

If you do not wish to be matched with these designated law enforcement registered users, you have the ability to opt
    out by adjusting your Matching Preferences, which now includes an option to opt-out of Law Enforcement Matching.
    User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 that are flagged as an EU account have been opted out of Law Enforcement
    Matching but may choose to opt in.

Below you will find further details on the changes we are implementing.

Law Enforcement Registry

We have made changes to our Privacy Statement and Terms of Service to allow law enforcement authorities to upload
    DNA files to our DNA database and utilize our DNA matching service in certain limited circumstances and only if they
    comply with our specific procedures and processes.  FamilyTreeDNA’s Terms of Service and Privacy Statement have
    been updated to require law enforcement, as well as any authorized representative working on behalf of law enforcement,
    to register all genetic files through a separate process prior to uploading to the database. Permission for law enforcement
    to upload genetic files will only be granted upon submission, review, and approval of all required documentation by a
    qualified staff member and under limiting circumstances as defined in our Law Enforcement Guide. The genetic file
    must be submitted by law enforcement and/or their legally authorized representative for the purpose of identifying the
    remains of a deceased individual or a perpetrator of a homicide or sexual assault.

The law enforcement registration process includes the required submittal of case-related information, i.e., case number,
    law enforcement agency, jurisdiction, principal investigator’s name, email, phone, city, state, and case circumstances.
    In the case of a legally authorized representative, there must be formal documentation of the law enforcement relationship
    and authorization by relevant law enforcement officials.

If approved for upload, FamilyTreeDNA will track these law enforcement accounts via an in-house identification system
    that will allow users to opt out of Law Enforcement Matching.
    Law Enforcement Matching (LEM) Preferences

Law Enforcement Matching Opt-Out Option: Users now have the ability to opt out of matching with DNA relatives whose
    accounts are flagged as being created to identify the remains of a deceased individual or a perpetrator of a homicide or
    sexual assault, also referred to as Law Enforcement Matching (LEM).

User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 identified as residents of the European Union (EU):  User accounts
    created prior to March 12th, 2019 that are identified as being accounts for individuals within the EU are currently opted
    out of Law Enforcement Matching. Accounts that have been opted out will have the ability to opt in by going to their
    Account Settings and adjusting their Matching Preferences.

How to adjust your Matching Preferences: Visit the Privacy & Sharing section within your Account Settings.

Law enforcement accounts will only show up in your matches list when both of the following requirements are met:

You are a genetic match to the uploaded genetic file
        You and the law enforcement account have the same opt in to matching levels selected

Please note: If you opt out of Law Enforcement Matching, these accounts will not be able to see you as a match,
    but you will continue to see them as a match.

FamilyTreeDNA Citizen's Panel

We are deeply grateful to our FamilyTreeDNA community for its support and input as we navigate this new and
    unexpected era of law enforcement’s use of genetic genealogy databases, like FamilyTreeDNA’s.  We appreciate
    all of you who have shared your ideas and suggestions over the past few weeks.

To that end, we have created the FamilyTreeDNA Citizen’s Panel comprised of seven individuals with various
    backgrounds in genealogy, genetic genealogy, and bioethics with whom we will continuously share and review
    initiatives that could have a potential impact on user privacy. The following seven members were selected to join
    the panel:

Katherine Borges - Director of The International Society of Genetic Genealogy (ISOGG)

Kenyatta Berry - Professional genealogist and host on PBS’s Genealogy Road Show

Roberta Estes - An early adopter of genetic genealogy and FamilyTreeDNA volunteer Group Project Administrator

Maurice Gleeson - Genetic genealogist, speaker and organizer of the Genetic Genealogy Conference in Ireland,
    and FamilyTreeDNA volunteer Group Project Administrator

Tim Janzen - Long-time genealogist, genetic genealogy lecturer for Oregon’s local ISOGG group and other
    genetic genealogy conferences, and FamilyTreeDNA volunteer Group Project Administrator

Amy McGuire - Lawyer and Leon Jaworski Professor of Biomedical Ethics and Director of the Center for
    Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the Baylor College of Medicine

Bob McLaren - An early adopter of genetic genealogy and FamilyTreeDNA volunteer Group Project Administrator

Questions

If you have further questions, we invite you to check out the Law Enforcement FAQ where we’ve addressed
    many of the frequently asked questions on this subject. If you don't see your question here, please contact us.
    Last edited by prairielad; 12th March 2019, 03:15 PM.

That link is not working for me, but I got the email explaining it. It seems like something they would be sending to all customers, so I won't post the entire text of it here. The bottom line is that, effective today, there is now supposed to be an option for OPTING OUT of sharing with kits that Law Enforcement has entered into the system.

The gist of the email, which includes more:

User accounts created prior to March 12th, 2019 which are identified as residents of the European Union are currently opted out of Law Enforcement Matching. They will have the ability to opt in by adjusting their Matching Preferences in their Account Settings.

How to adjust your Matching Preferences: Visit the Privacy & Sharing section within your Account Settings.

Law Enforcement accounts will only show up in your matches lists when both of the following requirements are met:
    • You are a genetic match to the uploaded genetic file
    • You and the law enforcement account have the same opt in to matching levels selected
    Please note: If you opt out of Law Enforcement Matching, these accounts will not be able to see you as a match, but you will continue to see them as a match.
    Link in email to the Law Enforcement FAQ

Links to updated pages: Terms of Service (dated 2/3/2019, although date on page is 12/18/2019), Privacy Statement (dated 3/11/2019), and Law Enforcement Guide

P.S. - forgot to mention, this email was sent to Group Administrators, so I have not received it in the capacity of an average customer. I hope they will send it out to all customers.
    Last edited by KATM; 12th March 2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I can read the e-mail, however, the links provided do not workCreation of the FamilyTreeDNA Citizen’s Panel is an interesting event. Especially being announced before the conference.

Mr. W.

Comment

I just received the email and am ABSOLUTELY thrilled with this. I manage twelve kits, two of which are completely private. As things were it was making it more difficult to get cousins to test because of the law enforcement involvement. I really am for law enforcement being able to find dangerous criminals using DNA but I don't want my ability to get cousins to test because of fear that some long lost relative of theirs is going to turn up as a match and then subsequently lead law enforcement to their door step because they were willing to test for me. Thank you Family Tree. ALL of my kits will have the new privacy attached to them.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
          Creation of the FamilyTreeDNA Citizen’s Panel is an interesting event. Especially being announced before the conference. Mr. W.
          They announced they would be doing this several weeks ago.

Comment

Can somebody please explain to me the point in updating these terms of service after the fact? There's nothing customers can do about it once they've mailed their samples to to the company. A company representative just sent me a message to let me know that they don't care what we think and that there's no point in even discussing it any longer.

FTDNA has pretty much made it clear that they're going to do whatever they want with our DNA regardless of our opinions or the promises they made to close the sale. Frankly, it just comes as an unnecessary insult for them to pretend they even care at this stage of the game.

This should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to purchase from FTDNA in the future, but for people who already sent their DNA in, it's too late.
            Last edited by Frederator; 13th March 2019, 06:33 PM.

Comment

"The customer is always right--until their check clears. Then all bets are off."

Comment

Originally posted by Frederator View Post
                Can somebody please explain to me the point in updating these terms of service after the fact? There's nothing customers can do about it once they've mailed their samples to to the company. A company representative just sent me a message to let me know that they don't care what we think and that there's no point in even discussing it any longer.

FTDNA has pretty much made it clear that they're going to do whatever they want with our DNA regardless of our opinions or the promises they made to close the sale. Frankly, it just comes as an unnecessary insult for them to pretend they even care at this stage of the game.

This should serve as a warning to anyone tempted to purchase from FTDNA in the future, but for people who already sent their DNA in, it's too late.
                I don't understand your problem? Just go to your privacy settings and opt out of Law Enforcement Matching.

Comment

Just another THREE examples of how dishonest FTDNA are being about this.

1. As the other posters above noted, the links to instructions for the opt-out procedure don't work. The company are counting on you being satisfied with the empty ILLUSION of choice alone. This is like the phony literacy tests Jim Crow states would put as a condition for voting. Technically you'd only have to be able to write some simple sentence like 'the dog chased the cat', but then they'd demand that you do it with crayon on a piece of wax paper.

2. Why would the default position be to INCLUDE people in the police force sharing program? The company's message makes it clear that they've defaulted us to OPT IN. Why? This is inconsistent with initial terms of service which Greenspan unilaterally broke by engaging in this chicanery in the first place.

3. Here's a picture of the opt in/opt out menu. The language next to the slider interface for police sharing is identical to both options--suggesting that you will be OPTED IN no matter which selection you make. Which is it? How would we know for sure?

FTDNA has no shame whatsoever about tricking its customers. First it broke the original terms of service by unilaterally sharing our data with the police. Then it insulted us by sending us a retroactive terms of service policy statement that we had absolutely no input about before the fact, very likely voiding the arbitration clause of its customer contracts. Just to preserve the illusion that actual consent was involved. Now it piles on by offering us the false choice of altering some extremely ambiguous sharing settings through links that don't even work.

How is anyone supposed to take this half-#[email protected]@ed garbage seriously? Even if you actually altered your sharing settings, would it make any difference? There was a matter of months between Greenspan's unilateral actions and this broken message. Plenty of time for the police to harvest LOTS of data.

Which is it.png

Comment

People, you have to start getting smart. Unilaterally breaking your service contract is NOT made up for by the company later sending you months after the fact a broken link to a default setting that nobody knows actually works.

Comment

The link may not work. I didn't try it but after receiving the message from Family Tree I immediately signed on to each of my kits (13) and changed the 'privacy' setting to opt out of law enforcement matching. Yes, the opt in/opt out bar does work. If you are opt in the bar is blue. If you have opted out the bar is gray.

Comment

How do you know that? Did you program that feature? Are you even an employee of the company? Of course you aren't.

Why couldn't the company even be bothered to give their customers working links? Why is there so much unnecessary mystery surrounding what this slide bar actually accomplishes? Are you trying to tell me that it is simply too much effort to have a dynamic status field explicitly saying either 'police sharing on' or 'police sharing off'?

Why is the default option to share with police? Our accounts are not the property of FTDNA. They don't have the right to unilaterally make that choice. It's also in direct violation of the original customer contracts.

When your company's existence is being threatened by a major ethical scandal, you need to communicate with clarity, urgency, and sincerity. What FTDNA has done instead is to lazily phone in a response--almost literally. You're not even an employee.

This is not acceptable by any means. Sloppy, lazy and insincere.
                        Last edited by Frederator; 14th March 2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Not sure what people are referring to when they say links do not work in this email from FTDNA.
                          They work for me. (Even when I click on the links within the ones dna posted in post 3 above)
                          If they don't for you it is probably a setting in your email program or web browser that is preventing the live links to open.
                          Right click link in email and copy Link Location, Paste it into your browser address bar
                          Does it direct you to webpage, if so it could be due to settings on your end.

Search internet "Live link in (your email program) will not open in (your browser)"
                          Last edited by prairielad; 14th March 2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                            Not sure what people are referring to when they say links do not work in this email from FTDNA.
                            They work for me. (Even when I click on the links within the ones dna posted in post 3 above) [----]
                            They were not working at the time I had posted. And I have rechecked some hours later after posting.

Thank for checking and not blindly making assumptions

But most importantly, I am glad to hear that the person responsible at FTDNA made corrections. I am imaging that some people were surprised, since one of the links appears to have the date of the 19th of March embedded in it.

Mr. W.

Comment

Originally posted by prairielad View Post
                              They work for me. (Even when I click on the links within the ones dna posted in post 3 above)
                              If they don't for you it is probably a setting in your email program or web browser that is preventing the live links to open.
                              Right click link in email and copy Link Location, Paste it into your browser address bar
                              Does it direct you to webpage, if so it could be due to settings on your end.

Search internet "Live link in (your email program) will not open in (your browser)"
                              For me, the link in your first post did not work on March 12, before the content was added. It works fine now. I did not have any problems with the links in the email.

Comment

Working...
                              X