No announcement yet.

The Fourm Is Back !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darren: To add to KATM's great suggestions, I can filter the Posts using "Today", but I then miss the posts from late last night. That is why the old "New Posts since your last visit" worked so well. And, yes, we appreciate you!
    Last edited by Biblioteque; 3rd October 2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I used to regularly go thru - could tell by looking which threads had posts / info since I had last looked at that thread -- now cannot tell. Is there a cue that I am missing?
      Before - on a thread, could select - "Go to first post not read" (or phasing close to that) -- now just have to look thru all of them - or, again, is there something I am missing?

I want to look within each category and be able to tell which are posts with info I have not read.
      I want to be able to then go to the first post in that thread that I have not read.
      Last edited by loobster; 3rd October 2018, 08:08 PM.

Comment

You can click on the New Topics link to the left of the Today's Posts it is similar to the New Posts of the previous versions in that it will show you the any threads that have had new activity since you last logged in. You can then click on the blue icon with the double white arrow to the far right of the entry and this will take you to the first unread post in that topic. I hope this helps.

Many of the changes are a result of Vbulletin's software. The older forum was running a much older version and one of the issues was there was no security certificate (which is why some people were getting the error message when going to the forum.) That is no longer the case.

As for ease of transition and product testing a lot of it was just what the current version of the software offers. Some main concerns, is it secure, does it work for members to post and reply to posts, will be prioritized over some other ease of use or cosmetic concerns, but I am always happy to pass along feedback.

-Darren

Comment

HAH - thought to actually look at the FAQ -- "If you are not logged in, the 'today's posts' link will show a list of all threads that have been created or updated in the last 24 hours.

If you are logged in, the 'Today's Posts' link will change to 'New Posts', which gives you a listing of all threads that have been created or updated since your last visit."

With re: my previous comment that before "
          could tell by looking which threads had posts / info since I had last looked at that thread" -- can now see the ones with new info are in a darker blue than the others - but much less visible. On the other hand - not only has the Forum changed, but the Public Computers I use have changed browsers and versions of browsers they are using - so others will have to chime in whether this a change due to the Forum change.

Looking in FAQ - same section as for above comment - see
          "
          The administrator can also set up the forums so that each thread you read is marked in the database. If this option is set, then new threads (or threads with new posts) will not be marked as read until you have actually read them.

There is a built-in time limit to this, however, that will automatically mark all threads as 'read' after a set number of day, whether you really have read them or not. The default setting is 10 days, but the administrator could make this higher or lower."

Could we be told what setting FTDNA has chosen for this (assume FTDNA would be considered "the administrator")

Last edited by loobster; 4th October 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
            You can then click on the blue icon with the double white arrow to the far right of the entry and this will take you to the first unread post in that topic. I hope this helps. -Darren
            That is ONLY visible BEFORE you go in to the Thread - before you clicked on the Thread first, then chose to go to first unread post.
            AND -as far as I can tell, it is ONLY visible if you have chosen "New Topics" - not all the time, as it was before.

A crib sheet for those of us who got used to the old way would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
              Some main concerns, is it secure, does it work for members to post and reply to posts, will be prioritized over some other ease of use or cosmetic concerns, but I am always happy to pass along feedback.

-Darren
              Well, I'm fairly new at FTDNA, the only way I even knew this forum existed was because I looked at home page BEFORE signing into my DNA account, it was "hidden" (I had to click the minus next to community to see it listed under the community catagory!) In my opinion it would be a great to have it clearly marked on home page as a way for potential customers to ask questions to the community before they purchase testing. I have noticed these forums are not very active whatsoever. It's a shame, you would think there would be serious activity here! ALSO, A LINK SHOULD BE ON MY "HOME" PAGE WHEN IM SIGNED IN TO MY DNA ACCOUNT! I shouldn't have to click "HELP" first then click "join forums" So please can you send this feedback? Thanks

Comment

I agree something more prominent is needed for the forum and this is something I have suggested.

-Darren

Comment

Working...
                X