The Fourm Is Back !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fourm Is Back !

My login still works. Now to see what is going on here.

Well, it certainly looks different! First impression is that otherwise most features seem to have stayed the same, but I need to look around and see if there are other changes.
    Last edited by KATM; 27th September 2018, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Some initial impressions:
      • The font size for posts and elsewhere is now smaller than the previous Forum version, with no option to enlarge for the viewer (yes, you can choose a larger font size when composing a message, but not when viewing it). It seems too small to me. The rest of this post is indicating it's in size 14 as I type it; only this phrase is in size 16. Edited to add: now that I posted this message, I see that my earlier post was in an even smaller size than 14. This is size 12, and this is size 10. It would appear that the default size is 12; size 16 seems closer to the font size in the previous Forum version.
      • When viewing "New Topics," there is no option with the link (as there previously was) to go to the last page of a multi-paged topic (such as "1, 2, 3, 4" etc.); by clicking on a link, you end up on the first page, and then have to go to the bottom of a page to do another click to go to the last page, IF the last page is shown.
      • The FAQ has a section for Managing Your Account, under which is the question "How Do I Change My Avatar?" The answer gives an instruction to hover over the Avatar image, to get a link to change it. I'm not getting that "hover over" link. It seems pointless to show everyone with a generic image, if users are not able to change them. I know there is a setting in the User Profile > Edit Settings > Account > Conversation Detail Options > then, uncheck "Show Avatars" to remove Avatars when you are viewing posts, but it seems that "Show Avatars" is checked as the default.
      • Not sure I like it when I use the "New Posts" feature to see them, then I click to view one, then hit the back button to return to the New Posts list, and the link for the post I just viewed is no longer there. Formerly, the link would still be there, but displayed as a visited link (no longer bold), compared to the remaining unvisited links (in bold). There are times when it is useful to be able to revisit the last viewed New Post, to make sure you read something correctly, or other reason. One may not note the forum or sub-forum that the now-missing link was under, and then has to hunt for it.
      Last edited by KATM; 28th September 2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Is there a way to collapse the list of topics in a forum group? For example, if I don't want to see anything in "Family Tree DNA Communications" is there a way to hide the list of topics in that section? There was in the last system.

Comment

It looks like that capability is gone, at least for now. I haven't seen any way to collapse the list.

Comment

The 'Today's Posts' link doesn't work.

Comment

I was still figuring out the old one, and found it easier to look for responses to any of my posts than on this version.

Comment

I dont like the smaller font.
                The forum layout appears to be busier/messier than previous. I'm not finding this forum any easier to navigate, in fact it appears to me to be more confusing.
                I find whenever FTDNA changes a section, you have to re learn how to use that section, but I dont really see many improvements. I generally find I have to do more "clicking" to get to what I want. I dont know why they bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Fern View Post
                  The 'Today's Posts' link doesn't work.
                  I can't find the Todays Post link. I can see Latest Activity and New Posts. Then on the RHS side Trending, Tag Clouds (Whatever that is for???)

Comment

Yes, too busy and messy. Should be crisp and clean.

And, some of us just want to log in, look at the New Posts since our last visit, then "get on down the road" to meet the demands of our daily lives, without having to "reinvent the wheel". Ease of use helps.
                    Last edited by Biblioteque; 29th September 2018, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rivergirl View Post

I can't find the Todays Post link. I can see Latest Activity and New Posts. Then on the RHS side Trending, Tag Clouds (Whatever that is for???)
                      Looks like we can at least collapse the boxes to the right on the main Forum page. There is a "minus" sign that, when clicked, collapses the content of the box, just leaving the title. Now if they could add that capability to the sub-forum list. . .

I don't recall a link for Today's Post. Where was it? I happened to save an image of the way the forum index page looked before this update, and will attach it.

Family Tree DNA Forums_index_20180906.pdf

Comment

KATM - The reason you do not see Today's Post is because it is not there, AFTER you log in. But, BEFORE you log in, look to the top left and you will see Today's Post. But, when you click, it will NOT direct you to Today's Post.
                        Last edited by Biblioteque; 29th September 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Ah, I see. Thanks for the explanation, Biblioteque!

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                            Some initial impressions:
                            • When viewing "New Topics," there is no option with the link (as there previously was) to go to the last page of a multi-paged topic (such as "1, 2, 3, 4" etc.); by clicking on a link, you end up on the first page, and then have to go to the bottom of a page to do another click to go to the last page, IF the last page is shown.
                            • Not sure I like it when I use the "New Posts" feature to see them, then I click to view one, then hit the back button to return to the New Posts list, and the link for the post I just viewed is no longer there. Formerly, the link would still be there, but displayed as a visited link (no longer bold), compared to the remaining unvisited links (in bold). There are times when it is useful to be able to revisit the last viewed New Post, to make sure you read something correctly, or other reason. One may not note the forum or sub-forum that the now-missing link was under, and then has to hunt for it.
                            I've noticed that a page is a lot longer than it used to be. But that doesn't help with long-running threads like Current Y-DNA Batch#? I suppose if you just want to go to the final page you can change the order (ascending vs descending).

I agree - it's immensely frustrating to go back to the New Posts and not be able to find the thread you were looking at earlier. I now have The Fourm Is Back! and its location burned into my brain ..... I just hope someone from FTDNA will be reading this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
                              Some initial impressions:[*]When viewing "New Topics," there is no option with the link (as there previously was) to go to the last page of a multi-paged topic (such as "1, 2, 3, 4" etc.); by clicking on a link, you end up on the first page, and then have to go to the bottom of a page to do another click to go to the last page, IF the last page is shown.[/LIST]
                              Hi KATM,

When I pulled up the new topics today I noticed that to the far right of the topic it will sgive a Last Post by:
                              by Darren 29th September 2018, 08:38 PM Then there will be a blue icon with a double right pointing arrow. Clicking on this will take you to the last post in that topic. Sorry I'm still getting used to this as well.

-Darren

Comment

Working...
                              X