Uploading DNA data from Ancestry.com problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uploading DNA data from Ancestry.com problems

I have used Ancestry.com to do my DNA test.
    When I try to upload it fails. Support say that Ancestry have recently changed their raw data files format.
    So until familytreedna.com come up with a solution I cannot upload my file.
    How long has this been going on and when might there be a solution?
    Support didn't offer to email me when the fix was in place so I guess I have to keep trying until one day it works, which is a pita.

Peter

Yes, we should all be unhappy with FTDNA because Ancestry keeps modifying their data format. Why not test at FTDNA and then transfer your FTDNA data to Ancestry? Oh yes, Ancestry doesn't accept transfers so maybe we should be unhappy with them!

You might try reading this:
    http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...&postcount=253

Comment

Try this

http://www.mapmy23.com

Comment

Thank you.
        That converter seems to have worked painlessly.

Comment

Mapmy23 fail?

I tried http://www.mapmy23.com to convert my ancestryDNA data into apparently uploadable format.

However after uploading it to FTDNA I got the message: "Pending Results, Your Family Finder Matches results are still processing. Please check back in 24 hours"

However it has been displaying this message for over a month now - is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by KhanSahib View Post
            I tried http://www.mapmy23.com to convert my ancestryDNA data into apparently uploadable format.

However after uploading it to FTDNA I got the message: "Pending Results, Your Family Finder Matches results are still processing. Please check back in 24 hours"

However it has been displaying this message for over a month now - is this normal?
            Click on following link (FTDNA contact us link)
            In the support section choose Open a Request
            Enter your info regarding kit and in the Category section, select "Transfer or Raw Data Questions"

FTDNA support staff should be able to see what the hold up is with kit

https://www.familytreedna.com/contact

Comment

Thanks

I'll give that a go - thank you.

Comment

FWIW, I did the same thing but within an hour of uploading the mapmy23 data file got an email from FTDNA that my matches were ready.

Comment

Polluting the database with low resolution results

Now if FTDNA supported the file format and the data it contains FTDNA would have allowed the import of the original data file. You have uploaded data from the new series of chips that FTDNA does not support. Why no support? Because no one has figured out a really good way to get autosomal comparison results from these files compared to the old data.

Please remove any data that has been converted and uploaded by this utility. You are limiting yourself and other who match into your results to at most 3 generations.

If really need to work with those new formatted files then use some of the development tools at another site.

Comment

Link to mapmy23 is bad and I get virus warning

I'm trying to open a FTDNA account for a friend by transferring her Ancestry test data and then purchasing additional Y (with her brother) and Maternal tests. But the Ancestry transfer of course does not work and the link posted above to "Mapmy23" leads only to a logo page of some sort. So I ran a search for mapmy23 converter and reached a web page where I could upload her Ancestry test to Mapmy23.com. When I start to download after conversion, however, McAfee goes nuts with warnings of viruses and spyware. Is this normal? Do I "accept the risk" or forget about it? Any other ideas from you transfer gurus. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtaylor713 View Post
                      I'm trying to open a FTDNA account for a friend by transferring her Ancestry test data and then purchasing additional Y (with her brother) and Maternal tests.
                      Spend a few bucks more and get a better test (i.e. an actual Family Finder).

I assume you are taking advantage of the FTDNA sale for the other tests, but you can also get a sale price now on FF.

Jack

Comment

Why?

Why should she buy another autosomal test?

Comment

An AncestryDNA kit has a lot fewer SNP's and some different ones than FF. On the Family Finder database, an AncestryDNA transfer other than the original AncestryDNA version, only picks up the closer matches.

Jack

Comment

Roberta Estes has addressed this question in her blog post "Testing Strategy – Should I Test at Ancestry and Transfer to Family Tree DNA?"

The Family Finder test is on sale for $59 through August 31, 2018, if you choose to go that route.

Comment

Testing with each company directly is best due to number of snps that are different between each companies chip versions. Only the snps which are tested by both chip versions can be compared.

For instance,
                              Family Finder test approximately 700,000 SNPS.
                              Ancestry V2 chip (tested after may 2016) tests approximately 670,000 SNPS.
                              Of the 670,000 SNPS tested by Ancestry only approximately 426,000 can be used by FTDNA (Overlap between chip versions)
                              That is around only 60 percent coverage.
                              This does not effect immediate to 2nd cousins but it does for more distant one. FTDNA only gives these transfers partial match lists. More distant matches are omitted (4th to remote category)

This also the reason new 23andme tests are no longer transferable, they only have an overlap of around 160,000 SNPS. 23 percent coverage. FTDNA deems this 23andme chip version incompatible.

As for posts about the mapmy23 tool and ancestry files that need converted. It is not that big of difference between the original ancestryV2 file and these smaller ancestry files. This smaller ancestry files or missing approximately 10000 snps which tool inserts as no calls. This is very minor when they are spread out over the 23 chromosomes . One would not notice any difference between the converted file or persons file if it was not missing snps that had actual tested values.

I do agree that ordering family finder is better then transferring but it is not always in one's budget. It also depends on if you want to see the more distant matches.

Comment

Working...
                              X