• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Johannes
    FTDNA Customer

• Johannes
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Where do you tell others to go for Y-DNA test?
    Hi! When it comes to Y-DNA and both STR and SNP testing, YSEQ is at least one possibility (link removed)
    Darren
    FTDNA Customer
    Last edited by Darren; 26 May 2018, 12:18 AM. Reason: please no links to outside company websites

Leave a comment:

• c2cthomas
    FTDNA Customer

• c2cthomas
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    As far as I know FTDNA is the only ones that offer Y-chromosome testing. In my case it was (still is) a waste of time and money IMO. Other people seem to have good luck with FTDNA so I still hold out a small amount of hope.

Leave a comment:

• KATM
    mtDNA: K1a3 / YDNA: R-FGC46379

• KATM
    replied
    Originally posted by Scribe View Post
    I paid for my FTDNA mtDNA results and was invited to pass them on to Mitosearch. If those results are now unobtainable on FTDNA or Mitosearch, then I have paid for something that I do not have. You call yourself a customer. Me too.
    Did you read Jim Barrett's answer to you in his 13th May 2018 09:04 AM post above? When you used Mitosearch, your mtDNA results did not disappear from your FTDNA account. They are still there, and will continue to be there. You are not being cheated out of what you paid for.

Leave a comment:

• Scribe
    FTDNA Customer

• Scribe
    replied
    Originally posted by dna View Post
    If you paid, then you paid somewhere else.

Mr. W.
    I paid for my FTDNA mtDNA results and was invited to pass them on to Mitosearch. If those results are now unobtainable on FTDNA or Mitosearch, then I have paid for something that I do not have. You call yourself a customer. Me too.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Barrett
    R-BY39877

• Jim Barrett
    replied
    Originally posted by c2cthomas View Post
    The matching and searching tools at FTNDA aren't worth anywhere near the money (a Y-67 marker test is expensive) I paid for it and I will never recommend FTDNA to anyone. If fact, I tell people to stay away from FTDNA if they want a DNA test.

Leave a comment:

• c2cthomas
    FTDNA Customer

• c2cthomas
    replied
    Ysearch shutting down

This is very sad. At least with Yseach I was able to find potential matches to my y-chromosome.

The results posted at FTDNA are seven (7) and that is with three years of time running on the results. At Ysearch I have several more and they match my surname.

The matching and searching tools at FTNDA aren't worth anywhere near the money (a Y-67 marker test is expensive) I paid for it and I will never recommend FTDNA to anyone. If fact, I tell people to stay away from FTDNA if they want a DNA test.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    FTDNA Customer

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by girlperson1 View Post
    What I'm asking is if a european can allow their data, such as DNA, to be posted on a site, such as mitosearch by signing a release.
    What about all the DNA posted at the National Institute of Health? There are thousands of full DNA scans on file that belong to europeans and other people from around the world. Are you telling me that the EU is now going to interfere with science albeit most of the samples have no personal identifiers attached to them.
    GDPR specifically makes exemptions for scientific research.

As you read a couple of posts earlier, to the owners of a scientific genetic database in Czechia, it is a business as usual.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    FTDNA Customer

• girlperson1
    replied
    What about all the DNA posted at the National Institute of Health? There are thousands of full DNA scans on file that belong to europeans and other people from around the world. Are you telling me that the EU is now going to interfere with science albeit most of the samples have no personal identifiers attached to them.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    FTDNA Customer

• girlperson1
    replied
    As a European you do not have to opt out, since the law is not (in general) applicable to individuals.

It is applicable to Facebook, etc. They are brought to order, not the individuals.

Mr. W.
    What I'm asking is if a european can allow their data, such as DNA, to be posted on a site, such as mitosearch by signing a release.

Leave a comment:

• dna
    FTDNA Customer

• dna
    replied
    If you are a European, can you opt out of these so-called privacy laws? If yes, is it easy and if so, how is it done?
    As a European you do not have to opt out, since the law is not (in general) applicable to individuals.

It is applicable to Facebook, etc. They are brought to order, not the individuals.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    FTDNA Customer

• girlperson1
    replied
    Au contraire!

German Nazi laws and practices were inherently incompatible with any privacy.

Mr. W.
    If you are a european, can you opt out of these so-called privacy laws? If yes, is it easy and if so, how is it done?

Leave a comment:

• dna
    FTDNA Customer

• dna
    replied
    Draconian nazi crap.
    Au contraire!

German Nazi laws and practices were inherently incompatible with any privacy.

Mr. W.

Leave a comment:

• girlperson1
    FTDNA Customer

• girlperson1
    replied
    EU GDPR

Draconian nazi crap.

Leave a comment:

• blahma
    FTDNA Customer

• blahma
    replied
    Hello blahma, how are you changing for GDPR? Are you ready yet? Czechia is in the European Union...
    Mr. W.
    Since the beginning, the project has been asking for a formal consent from each participant in a form approved by the Czech data protection institute. It may therefore well be the case that nothing changes for the database and we might just want to update the name of the law that this is ruled by. Also, the lab is run by a public research institution, and AFAIK there are somewhat different rules for public institutions and for research. But IANAL and there are lawyers who oversee the project's workflow and say that we are not in trouble.

That's therefore a different case than Ysearch, which has never asked for any explicit consent during data upload and only had a short and general Disclaimer page: http://www.ysearch.org/disclaimer.asp I guess that's a part of the problem (they would need to attempt at contacting all the users and getting a formal consent from each, which would mean a substantial amount of effort and would not save any unattended data anyway). Compare this to GEDmatch, which has just today started asking its users to approve a new and lengthy privacy policy and it keeps running...

Leave a comment:

• penguin
    FTDNA Customer

• penguin
    replied
    Wish they would at least offer a consolation prize that until they shut it down: reinstate the ability to send messages to the owner of the sequences one is interested in. (that has not been functional for a few years) There remains a couple of very important sequences there and would like to see if the owners are interested in further testing.

Sad day for me as well. I've used mitosearch for several research projects.

There really is no substitute even if 100 percent of the entries were from ftdna. I've found ftdna's replacement for mtdna data very hard to use, and don't even know if that's still accessible.

Is there somewhere I can find out more about geni? Guess I should google it.

And I also miss the Sorenson data. I didn't realize was gone for ever. That was some of the earliest data I used to make progress. have some of the trees somewhere. there's another database I used to use that was changed to the point where one can no longer search and they don't do analyses like the used to- hmdb or some such. so sad.

ok, will try now to pull some data off mitosearch before I forget.

update: Uh Oh. the 91 sequences I want say that the URL cannot be found when I try to pull up all the sequences (the "compare" option). I will try one at a time, but even if that works, I can't download them one at a time. Anyone else having this problem?
    penguin
    FTDNA Customer
    Last edited by penguin; 19 May 2018, 07:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X