Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Search Bar ?

Hi
    I was wondering if anybody knows why the Search Bar (top left hand corner) has disappeared?
    Thank you

Lost search bar on webpage

I have the same question!

Comment

I wish I knew.

I had forgotten about the search bar and used it for the first time in over a year a few days ago. I went back to search some more and it was gone.

It seems that Mordac, The Preventer of Information Services found out I was doing something productive at FTDNA and stepped in to stop any useful activity.

Comment

I administer a small family project here at FTDNA, so I receive Project Administrator emails from the company. In one such email, received yesterday, was a statement about this missing search field, so I'll post it here:

We have removed the search field in the upper left corner of the website. It will require programming changes to make the search both function correctly and to comply with upcoming European Union and UK regulations, so we have removed it for now.
        That's all I know about this issue!

Comment

Originally posted by KATM View Post
          I administer a small family project here at FTDNA, so I receive Project Administrator emails from the company. In one such email, received yesterday, was a statement about this missing search field, so I'll post it here:

That's all I know about this issue!
          That is so annoying. It was an amazing little tool. Hopefully they will re-instate it. .

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSchuby View Post
            That is so annoying. It was an amazing little tool. Hopefully they will re-instate it. .
            They might, only might...

Someone with the knowledge of European Union new law (GDPR) about Internet privacy management and protection may be able to explain its consequences.

All companies doing business within the EU are impacted by General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) law, when it takes effect on Friday, the 25th of May 2018. However, GDPR also regulates export of personal data outside the EU, so the alternative for companies like FTDNA is either to drop European market or comply.

Mr. W.

P.S.
            Just a reminder, Great Britain is (for now) in the EU.

Comment

FTDNA should post some information about this in a prominent place, e.g., at the top of the sign-in page.

Comment

Well, maybe it's a good thing. One relative had a tree that wasn't limited to being able to be viewed by DNA matches only. It has living people on it, many of whom would be unaware of the tree.

Due to this I've haven't shared the relationship with a previously unknown "cousin" with this relative in case they get added to the tree before they've had a chance to contact closer members of their birth family themselves.

Comment

Working...
                X