Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can l Export My Family Tree to GEDMATCH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can l Export My Family Tree to GEDMATCH?

Is is possible to export my Familytreedna Tree to Gedmatch? If so where would I find instructions to do so?

Lack of any option for export is a deficiency of the myFamilyTree product that was glaringly obvious from the day it was launched.

So..., the answer is no.

Mr. W

Comment

Originally posted by slaymiller View Post
      Is is possible to export my Familytreedna Tree to Gedmatch? If so where would I find instructions to do so?
      As dna said, it isn't possible now, but we have been told it is being added.

Having your own genealogy program where you can build, update and create GEDCOM files is a much better idea in my opinion. There are companies with years of experience building good genealogy programs. There are companies with years of experience do DNA testing. FTDNA is not a company with years of experience developing genealogy programs.

Comment

Mistake to choose ftdna?

Been on here several years and upgraded thru Y-111. Cannot share gedcom? cannot export results like other services? Did I make a mistake to choose this company?

Comment

If you want to pursue genealogy as a long-term project or hobby, it makes sense to use a genealogy program on your home computer, and back up your data periodically. There are many programs to choose from. I have used Brother's Keeper for years (share-ware, easy to use, and easily adapted for my own style of work). RootsMagic is very popular. There are many, many others. Once you have your data in your own genealogy database, it is easy to generate a GEDCOM file that is tailored to the needs of, say, the FTDNA web site, or the GEDmatch web site, or MyHeritage, etc. Most of the genealogy programs for home computers have all the options you need for generating a GEDCOM that omits names and/or facts for living people, limits the number of generations, includes all the children (and their spouses) of each ancestor if you wish, etc.

Contrast that picture with the difficulties we encounter every time a vendor changes something on a web site that affects the way our genealogy information is presented. So much better to have control over your own information!

Another recommendation from a long-time genealogist, join your local genealogical society! There are lifetimes of experience waiting for you, on every aspect of tracing your family tree, getting past "brick walls", and organizing, presenting, and maintaining your data.

Comment

I use RootsMagic. One nice thing about it is that you can download it and try it out to see if you like it before you purchase it. There are also a lot of free videos showing you how to use it and you can by a manual if you want.

Other programs may also have a the option to download them and try before you buy. See what's out there and try them.

But it is best to have your work in a proper genealogy program on your own computer. And it's best to cite all your sources carefully no matter what you use.

Comment

The biggest problem with managing a tree independent of ftdna is that every time you upload the tree you need to go through all your known matches and re-link them.

An related but much needed feature at ftdna is the ability to share a tree with other relatives. I manage a half dozen kits for various family and providing a separate tree for each would be a nightmare for maintenance, so I only have my own tree. It's bad enough I have to log into each account separately, but none of these other kits can benefit from the advanced matching algorithms that ftdna is developing that use the trees to enhance the matching.

Comment

thanks - was just about to post this question because i couldnt find the "export" option for the tree here

I am playing with the trial version of rootsmagic and it looks great so far.

Comment

I agree with the idea of using a PC-based genealogy application. I use gramps, a free and open-source app for desktop, which allows you to slice and dice your data many ways.

As far as exporting a gedcom from FTDNA, it's possible, but it takes some extra effort. Take a look at these sites for a way that works. I've done this, and it works well:

Kitty Cooper ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter

DNAarboretum Chrome Extension

Comment

NO.
                    DNArboretum does NOT work for FTDNA Trees.

As far as exporting a gedcom from FTDNA, it's possible, but it takes some extra effort. Take a look at these sites for a way that works. I've done this, and it works well:

Kitty Cooper ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter

DNAarboretum Chrome Extension[/QUOTE]

Comment

Alexandrina, as I mentioned in another thread, I had not had success in converting the Ahnentafel text file produced with the DNAarboretum Chrome extension to a GEDCOM file, using the Kitty Cooper ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter.

The DNAarboretum Chrome extension produces the ahnentafel information on a web page, from which I copy and paste the text from the web page into a text document (.txt file) and save it. This ahnentafel text file follows the paternal and maternal lines (pedigree), but does not include any siblings that may be shown in the FTDNA myFamilyTree.

Is not including siblings what you mean by "DNArboretum does NOT work for FTDNA Trees"? I found that it worked best when the FTDNA tree was in pedigree view, which seemed to gather all the generations.

At any rate, my lack of success with the second part of the process, using Kitty Cooper's ahnentafel-to-gedcom-converter, had been because it didn't seem to convert the ahnentafel text file into a .ged file format that my genealogy software (Reunion) would import. I was getting this message: "That was not a valid GEDCOM file, and/or was not formatted according to the GEDCOM specifications (4.0 or 5.5)."
                      I was able to play around with the file, and found that by changing the "CHAR" type from "UNICODE" to "UTF-8," I was able to import the .ged file into Reunion successfully. I had also removed some lines with location information, but the CHAR change seemed to be the key.

If others have had success with these tools and this method, please post your experience.

Comment

What?

Originally posted by dholeman View Post
                        The biggest problem with managing a tree independent of ftdna is that every time you upload the tree you need to go through all your known matches and re-link them.
                        What happens if one of the matches deletes their DNA data & account? I'm guessing you can't link them again but at least you have their name, info & hopefully good email address

It's bad enough I have to log into each account separately, but none of these other kits can benefit from the advanced matching algorithms that ftdna is developing that use the trees to enhance the matching.
                        I don't understand what you mean, why would any FTDNA kit not benefit, I would think all kits get the same "algorithms"

Comment

Working...
                        X