Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The_Contemplator
    replied
    Each kit number equals one person. Each kit is a separate account. The reason you have two kit numbers is because you were not logged into your first kit when you ordered yourself the other test. If you were logged into say your autosomal transfer kit, then your Y-DNA test would have been included in the same kit (account). You can contact FTDNA about maybe merging accounts though I don't know what their policy is on this.

As for your uncle. This is something a lot of us do. Order a kit for a relative but they are either not interested or just prefer someone else to manage it. Keep the kit in his name, but use your email. As long as he grants you permission there is no problem. Based on FTDNA's policy, if the DNA donor (your uncle) would want to revoke you permission of using his kit, he would have to repay you back and then he can have complete control.

So remember if you intend on ordering a new test for your uncle other than what you already have. Make sure to log into that kit and then order the new test. And you can send in his kit back already. The moment you order a new kit, the account is made. You receive a kit number and password through the email you used for the new kit. Nothing else left to do but play around with the settings if you want. For example the settings may be by default to private and you can make them public (for group projects).

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    Originally posted by mjclayton31 View Post
    Two questions here:
    [----]

2. I recently bought another basic DNA kit. I bought it for my uncle, who's 85. He wants me to manage his kit. He signed the green paper that is to be sent with the kit in the mail. Does he need to create an account at FDNA, and if so at what point? Now? Could help then somehow designate me manager, or at least give me access? Or can I enter his kit number somewhere in my account??

I haven't mailed his kit yet, so I want to get this right from the get-go. Since I bought the kit, will the signed (green) paper be sufficient to distinguish my Uncle from me? I guess I'm thinking that the "default" scenario (situation) here is that the kit, by definition, is associated with me (as purchaser), so I just need to distinguish that he's the actual test-taker.

Thanks in advance.
    New kit = new number.

When administering your account attached to your Y-DNA111 test you might have (or not) noticed, that the name on the account is entirely arbitrary and in no way it is related to the e-mail address or identity of the person who administers the account.

You should be good mailing your uncle's kit, as long as his name and signature match the name on the order. If someone's else name was used, you have to contact FTDNA before mailing.

When buying the kit whose e-mail address was used? Do you have access to that e-mail account? Do you know the password? (It can be reset.)

The new kit with your uncle DNA test results should have his identity (use initials, or just first name initial if there is a problem with showing his full name to his matches). However, you will have the kit number, e-mail and password. There is no need to involve your uncle in his kit beyond him signing the paperwork. Oh, you may want to get your uncle to name you in the "Beneficiary Information" field.

Mr. W

Leave a comment:

• dna
    replied
    No trivial solutions since DNA is something very personal. Nothing gets more personal than one's own DNA!

1 (the forum part). You definitely do not need two or more accounts for the forum. You are speaking here for yourself, and you can talk about your family DNA at the same time. You will not be pretending here that you are your cousin, wife etc.

If you are publishing in the (world-readable) forum your own personal data, that might be carelessness. If you are publishing someone's personal data (name, birth data, birth place, address, phone number, etc.), that might even be illegal in some jurisdictions.

Mr. W

Leave a comment:

• mjclayton31
    started a topic Multiple kit protocol

Multiple kit protocol

Two questions here:

1. I already have two FTDNA kit numbers. One that I uploaded raw data from a competing site and one where I did my Y-111 test. Why do I need to log on separately for each kit? Am I doing something wrong? And why the sane for FTDNA forums? Seems like this should be easier "one-stop" website access.

2. I recently bought another basic DNA kit. I bought it for my uncle, who's 85. He wants me to manage his kit. He signed the green paper that is to be sent with the kit in the mail. Does he need to create an account at FDNA, and if so at what point? Now? Could help then somehow designate me manager, or at least give me access? Or can I enter his kit number somewhere in my account??

I haven't mailed his kit yet, so I want to get this right from the get-go. Since I bought the kit, will the signed (green) paper be sufficient to distinguish my Uncle from me? I guess I'm thinking that the "default" scenario (situation) here is that the kit, by definition, is associated with me (as purchaser), so I just need to distinguish that he's the actual test-taker.

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X