FTDNA & 23andme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTDNA & 23andme

I have done the Family Finder test on Family Tree, and did the $99 test on 23andme. It gave me my haplogroup, which of course was the same as my daughters on Family Tree. Is there a way to upload my results from 23andme to Family Tree?

Yes, you can upload your 23andMe file to FamilyTreeDNA, but it will not transfer your haplogroup, just the autosomal results. 23andMe tests only enough markers to get a basic haplogroup, and it is not as in-depth as FTDNA's tests for either Y or mtDNA.

Here is FTDNA's page for transferring. You'll get access to all your matches for free, but would need to pay $19 to get access to all the tools (chromosome browser, myOrigins, etc.). Note: if you tested with 23andMe's version 3 chip, it is more compatible with FTDNA's chip, and you will see more matches, including distant and speculative. If you tested on their version 4 chip, your matches will be closer (about up to 3rd, maybe 4th cousin level). This is because 23andMe changed their chip to cover more health markers, and the overlap with FTDNA is less now.

If you wanted to see as many matches as possible at FTDNA, you would need to pay for a kit for a Family Finder test and submit your DNA to FTDNA.
    Last edited by KATM; 13 July 2017, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nana Pam View Post
      I have done the Family Finder test on Family Tree, and did the $99 test on 23andme. It gave me my haplogroup, which of course was the same as my daughters on Family Tree. Is there a way to upload my results from 23andme to Family Tree?
      You can not transfer your 23andMe data to your current FTDNA account that has Family Finder. The transfer will create a second account for you.

Comment

Oops, I misread the original post. Thanks for catching that, Jim Barrett.

Comment

Working...
        X