Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test at Ancestry then transfer to FTDNA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test at Ancestry then transfer to FTDNA?

I would like to solicit some family in taking a DNA test to help narrow my matches.

I'm going to test at Ancestry (currently on sale for $79) since I'm already here.

But, should I ask relatives to test at Ancestry first, then transfer to here? I understand that they won't have access to all features, but will be shown matches.

Can anyone provide more detail on what exactly is lost when you transfer DNA here, rather than test directly?

Originally posted by hollifer View Post
    Can anyone provide more detail on what exactly is lost when you transfer DNA here, rather than test directly?
    If one tests on FTDNA FF, the comparison with other kits which originated with FTDNA will be better.

I think FF has a DNA Day price of $59 (plus sample fee) until 4/27.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
      If one tests on FTDNA FF, the comparison with other kits which originated with FTDNA will be better.

Jack
      Why would it be better, since the Ancestry raw data would be the same at FTDNA? As far as matches go, the DNA should pull-up the same ones, whether directly tested or transferred data.

Comment

Why would it be better, since the Ancestry raw data would be the same at FTDNA? As far as matches go, the DNA should pull-up the same ones, whether directly tested or transferred data.
        It's not. the versions of AncestryDNA used since last may has far fewer SNP's. FTDNA will not give you remote matches when comparing the new Ancestry and a original FF kit.

Jack

Comment

Originally posted by georgian1950 View Post
          It's not. the versions of AncestryDNA used since last may has far fewer SNP's. FTDNA will not give you remote matches when comparing the new Ancestry and a original FF kit.

Jack
          I think 4th, 5th remote cousins are very difficult to confirm anyway. Is that what you're talking about? I'm more interested in the farthest being 3rd-4th cousins.

Comment

I transferred my sister's results and she only has 99 matches here, down to a longest segment of 13cM. By comparison, I have 595. It depends on whether that's acceptable to you. Since I have tested both of our parents and I have my sister's results at Ancestry, I don't care, but I think I would if I didn't have the results for both of our parents.

Comment

I understand now about the fewer SNPs. I like FF because you have the direct emails and they seem to test the highest amount of SNPs, so more markers, if I'm understanding correctly. If the database was a large as Ancestry, it would be the prime test site, I think.

But, hopefully by test at Ancestry, I'll find more matches there.

Comment

I transferred my results from Genographic which only showed my MtDNA at FTDNA. I then ordered the FF test and got matches.

Were fewer SNPs measured? Genographic transferred the data a few years ago. I just ordered the FF test in Jan.

Comment

I transferred my results from Genographic which only showed my MtDNA at FTDNA. I then ordered the FF test and got matches.

Were fewer SNPs measured? Genographic transferred the data a few years ago. I just ordered the FF test in Jan.
                  I believe Genographic actually transferred the DNA, as opposed to the Data. So the DNA from back then was used and analyzed by FTDNA per their current testing.

If they did not have DNA from then, then you would have been sent a Kit and would have had to supply a DNA sample for FTDNA to do the FF test.

Comment

When you had the National Geographic test FTDNA was doing the testing and they kept the sample.

The National Geographic test you had apparently only tested mtDNA. FF tests SNPs from Chromosomes 1 - 22 so more SNPs were tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Barrett View Post
                      When you had the National Geographic test FTDNA was doing the testing and they kept the sample.

The National Geographic test you had apparently only tested mtDNA. FF tests SNPs from Chromosomes 1 - 22 so more SNPs were tested.
                      yes, NatGeo only provided MtDNA results, but they must have transferred all my DNA (however that works) because FTDNA was able to test my chromosomes fine when I ordered the FF test. All my chromosomes are accounted for when I analyze.

Comment

Working...
                      X