Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tested and no Native American, now it appears in list?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tested and no Native American, now it appears in list?

I've run a wide variety of tests and right now I am waiting on a Y67 upgrade. In all my initial tests no Native American anything, but when looking in the Johnson group lists, I found area listed as United States with (Native American) next to it. What gives?

Also, there in the Johnson group, Y-DNA Haplogroup R-M269 list, R1b - Family ZF was listed only one other researcher's kit number. How can I locate possible contact information using the kit number?

Maybe this isn't the answer you're looking for, but when people list their earliest known paternal or maternal line ancestors, they are supposed to put where they originated from. They are supposed to put something like Germany, England, Japan, etc. Sometimes however, they do not know from where their ancestors came. For example, they might know that they had an ancestor who was born in New York in 1760, but they do not know who his parents were or where they were from originally. So if they put their earliest known paternal ancestor originated in the United States, it is kind of confusing as that ancestor's family had probably only been in the United States for a few generations or less. So to avoid confusion with American Indians, they have two categories for United States - One designating (Native Americans) in origin and the other without.

Now if you have a section in your Johnson group, it is probably because there are a number of people who have known native american paternal ancestors.

As to the kit number, do you match this person? Can you click on his profile to get his email address?

Comment

My Great Grandfather

In all my previous tests - nothing. After reading you reply, why would they pick United States as opposed to United States (Native American), how is this determined. My earliest ancestor in this line was my Great Grandfather James Albert Johnson born 1863, married in 1889 in Missouri.

In the Johnson project lists, there was only one other researcher in my Y-DNA Haplogroup R-M269, R1b - Family ZF. I tried to click on the other person's kit number, but it didn't do anything.

How do you locate possible contact information if all you know is a kit number?

Comment

The other test owner might have put in United States like I did for myself when asked the earliest known ancestress for my mtDNA test. She was born in Texas and at the time there didn't seem to be any other way to label her. I found out later that the use of US was causing some confusion as to whether the person was a NA or not. It seems that there is now a US/not NA and a US/NA separation which there wasn't before.

Have you tried contacting the project administrator for help?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnson524 View Post
          I've run a wide variety of tests and right now I am waiting on a Y67 upgrade. In all my initial tests no Native American anything, but when looking in the Johnson group lists, I found area listed as United States with (Native American) next to it. What gives?

Also, there in the Johnson group, Y-DNA Haplogroup R-M269 list, R1b - Family ZF was listed only one other researcher's kit number. How can I locate possible contact information using the kit number?
          R-M269 is not Native American so that is your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dabney Carr View Post
            Maybe this isn't the answer you're looking for, but when people list their earliest known paternal or maternal line ancestors, they are supposed to put where they originated from. They are supposed to put something like Germany, England, Japan, etc. Sometimes however, they do not know from where their ancestors came. For example, they might know that they had an ancestor who was born in New York in 1760, but they do not know who his parents were or where they were from originally. So if they put their earliest known paternal ancestor originated in the United States, it is kind of confusing as that ancestor's family had probably only been in the United States for a few generations or less. So to avoid confusion with American Indians, they have two categories for United States - One designating (Native Americans) in origin and the other without.

Now if you have a section in your Johnson group, it is probably because there are a number of people who have known native american paternal ancestors.

As to the kit number, do you match this person? Can you click on his profile to get his email address?
            I do match this person perfectly. I have his kit number, but when I click on the number nothing. Where and how can I click on his profile? Where would I find this?

Comment

In all my previous tests - nothing. After reading you reply, why would they pick United States as opposed to United States (Native American), how is this determined. My earliest ancestor in this line was my Great Grandfather James Albert Johnson born 1863, married in 1889 in Missouri.

In the Johnson project lists, there was only one other researcher in my Y-DNA Haplogroup R-M269, R1b - Family ZF. I tried to click on the other person's kit number, but it didn't do anything.

How do you locate possible contact information if all you know is a kit number?
              Are you sure that isn't your kit? If your kit is the one showing James Albert Johnson as the earliest known ancestor that is the same kit that is showing United States (Native American). As others have said the country of origin isn't based on DNA it is self reported and selected from a list by the kit owner. It appears you selected that place of origin United States (Native American) for your kit. It can be changed in your user profiles if it isn't correct. And you can contact your matches when you log into your account and view your matches there will be an envelope icon that will provide an email address. But again, R-M269 isn't Native American.

Comment

Thanks. I had clicked on United States (Native American) in my original settings. I didn't realize that there were two possible choices on the United States and I guess I clicked on the wrong one. I know that R-M269 which is European.

Now if I could figure out how to find contact information using a kit number. When I look under matches I get a few names, but there are no kit numbers shown.

Comment

Now if I could figure out how to find contact information using a kit number. When I look under matches I get a few names, but there are no kit numbers shown.
                  Having a kit number won't help you, since it doesn't give you an e-mail address. Anyone who's on your match list should have an icon under their name to send them an e-mail. Just click on the icon and it will open up whatever e-mail program you use (Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) so that you can send the match an e-mail.

Comment

Thanks. I had clicked on United States (Native American) in my original settings. I didn't realize that there were two possible choices on the United States and I guess I clicked on the wrong one. I know that R-M269 which is European.

Once you log in to your account go to "Matches" under the Y-DNA and find the match you wish to contact then click the email icon or just right click on it and copy the email address into your email program. To change your country of origin find the "myFTDNA" heading at the top of the page and click on it then click on "Account Settings" then click on the "Genealogy" tab then "Most Distant Ancestors" and your country of origins for your paternal and maternal lines are there.

Comment

I know about finding the email addresses to write to other researchers, but even there it doesn't show their kit numbers. There is one person who has a kit number whose results are very close to mine, but I guess there's no way to directly go from kit number to contact information.

In the list of other researchers, in the past, I've tried writing to one of the researchers and no response, possibly he's not involved any longer or deceased.

Comment

I know about finding the email addresses to write to other researchers, but even there it doesn't show their kit numbers. There is one person who has a kit number whose results are very close to mine, but I guess there's no way to directly go from kit number to contact information.

In the list of other researchers, in the past, I've tried writing to one of the researchers and no response, possibly he's not involved any longer or deceased.
                        Kit numbers can not be searched in respect to contact info, but if you are a member of a project that the kit number is displayed in, you can email the admins of that project and ask them if they would be willing to forward an email and your contact info to that member.
                        Admins will not give you that persons contact info(They are not allowed to due to Privacy), but may be willing to contact them on your behalf. It would be then up to that member to contact you directly.

You can only get contact info of others in database if they show up on your match lists.
                        Last edited by prairielad; 23 March 2017, 12:25 AM.

Comment

The person who matches you within the project should show up in your match list at 37 markers at a genetic distance of 2 and his last name is Johnston.

Comment

There was one person who showed up in my matches. I have tried emailing him in the past and I did again yesterday and it got bounced back. So either he is no longer interested or possibly he deceased, for his kit had a much smaller number. I wish kit number and name were more closely associated.

If he's so close I don't understand why he would not be at a distance or 1 instead of a 2.

I just ordered an upgrade to 67, so hopefully this will reveal others who closely match, but my family group only had me and one other researcher listed.

Comment

Working...
                            X