Registering a new kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering a new kit

I recently ordered two new Y kits as part of my surname project.During the purchasing of the kits I checked the box that answered the question "Is this kit for someone else"
    I had the two new test takers sign their consents etc.Since I intend to manage these accounts my main email address was used for contact. After completing the test they sent them back to the lab.
    I received my first acknowledgement that the kits had arrived. This email suggests I can log on and follow the progress. However using these new kit numbers with my sign in password does not work. So how do I register these kits to give me access?

My first thought is that you're already logged into your personal account or, if you're a project administrator, your administrator account. You're not able to be logged into two different FTDNA accounts at the same time. There is a way to get around that - just use two different browsers and you can be logged into two accounts at the same time.

Make sure that you're logged out of your personal or administrator account and try logging into one of the two accounts you're managing. That may solve the problem. If it doesn't, I don't know what's causing the problem.

Comment

I had to send an email inviting the person to join my private project, if I remember correctly. This email came to me, of course. I then had to sign out of GAP and log in to the person's account using the kit no. and password FTDNA sent me in an email when I purchased the kit. I joined the project, signed out of the account, signed back in to GAP and accepted the join request. Then I was able to add the kit to the kit authorization page and it also appeared on the member information page.

I don't know if that's how you're supposed to do it or not, but it was the only way I could figure out. And it may make a difference whether it's a private project or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Brunetmj View Post
        I recently ordered two new Y kits as part of my surname project.During the purchasing of the kits I checked the box that answered the question "Is this kit for someone else"
        I had the two new test takers sign their consents etc.Since I intend to manage these accounts my main email address was used for contact. After completing the test they sent them back to the lab.
        I received my first acknowledgement that the kits had arrived. This email suggests I can log on and follow the progress. However using these new kit numbers with my sign in password does not work. So how do I register these kits to give me access?
        I just read your post more closely. I bolded what seems to be the problem.

From what I've bolded, it seems that you're trying to use the password for your personal account to log into the kits that you're managing. If that's what you're doing, that's the problem.

Each account has its own kit number and assigned password. The e-mails that you received for each of these kits that you're managing has their kit number and password. Use the assigned passwords, not yours, to log into those accounts.

Comment

Code:
          person's account using the kit no. and password FTDNA sent me
          Ahhh..I see.that is the issue as I do not belive I saw the password on the paper work that came with the kits...I guess I will write them and ask for the passwords..
          Thank you everyone

Comment

Code:
            person's account using the kit no. and password FTDNA sent me
            Ahhh..I see.that is the issue as I do not belive I saw the password on the paper work that came with the kits...I guess I will write them and ask for the passwords..
            Thank you everyone
            The paperwork doesn't include a password. The password, along with the kit number, is in the e-mails you received from FTDNA acknowledging the test orders.

If you still have the original e-mails sent at the time the tests were ordered, you have the passwords. Otherwise, you'll have to contact FTDNA and tell them that you need their help in resetting the passwords.

Comment

Comment

family kit set-up and access

I already had access and my own kit number. I ordered two kits for my husband. The order confirmation came with kit number and a password for each kit. I discovered that if I entered into my account with the sign-in in the upper right corner, I could erase my kit number and password on the left side and then input a kit number and password for one of my husbands tests. To access the other test, just remove the password and kit number and replace them with the other kit number. It worked for me!

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                  I ordered two kits for my husband.
                  If you ordered two different tests for your husband, they should be under one kit number, not two. Each kit number represents one person. All tests that person takes, should be in the same kit for greater benefit and ease of use. You can contact FTDNA and let them know it should be one kit if this is in fact what you did.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
                    If you ordered two different tests for your husband, they should be under one kit number, not two. Each kit number represents one person. All tests that person takes, should be in the same kit for greater benefit and ease of use. You can contact FTDNA and let them know it should be one kit if this is in fact what you did.
                    If you can contact FTDNA BEFORE the Kits are sent out, they should be able to combine them both on the same Kit, and refund you the cost of shipping the second Kit, which is not needed to be sent.

In any case, do Contact them before sending back the Kits. My strong suggestion - contact them by phone.
                    If they have already shipped both kits - they may be able to use just one, and let you hold onto the other for someone else in future - but TALK to them!!

Comment

Two tests for one person

Yes, they did give me two kit numbers for the Y111 and FF that I ordered for my husband. The two kits arrived and have been returned. In the meantime, I noticed that the confirmation had mtDNA beside one of the kits. This I did not order. So notified them by email. No answer yet. Phoning them would get the matter settled sooner, but that will have to wait until after New Years now. Wish there was a 1-800 number. It is expensive phoning from out of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by jen View Post
                        I noticed that the confirmation had mtDNA beside one of the kits. This I did not order.
                        If it was in the confirmation email after your order, then you may have accidentally clicked on it or perhaps you clicked on a bundle when you meant to just click on a Family Finder test.

Either way, you can cancel that part of the order as long as they have not started on the lab work. Log onto that kit and find the "Complete Order History" on the left. Click it. There you will see your order history as well as when they receive and batch the samples. Once it gets batched, there is no refund given.

Comment

Jen - any luck? Am majorly hoping you can get this resolved sensibly.

When were they mailed back?
                          Does order History show kits received yet?

Was the MtDNA on the same Kit as the FF?

Comment

Working...
                          X