Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukrainian ancestry anyone?

Hi
    Total newbie here, waiting for my family finder lab results.
    Parents came to the UK as refugees from Ukraine after the war.

I am interested to hear from anybody in a similar position who has already gone through this process. Parents now deceased.

Am excited to see my origins.

Any help or advice on this matter greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Do you also have a brother who could take a Y-DNA test?

Comment

Also Ukrainian origin of refugees coming to UK

Hi Stefi,

I am also of Ukrainian ancestry with grandparents on my mother's side and a father coming from Ukraine to the UK after the war. I grew up in the UK in the Ukrainian community and now live in Canada.

There is a Ukrainian DNA project on here you could join where you might be able to find out more. Where in the UK did your family settle? I know a lot settled in the Bradford and Manchester areas and there are still active Ukrainian communities in the UK.

My origins came back mostly Eastern European but I also had Finnish and North west Siberian as well as Balkan area. However, there has been a lot of migration among people in the area now in Ukraine over the centuries as well.

Feel free to message me if you have any further questions.

Comment

Earlier Ukrainian Ancestry

My father was born in Bukovina in 1913 and came to Canada with his family in 1914, just a few months before the outbreak of WW1. Although they are ethnic Ukrainians, they always referred to themselves as Austrian, as they were born under the reign of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

I have done both the autosomal and yDNA test, as well as the mtDNA, although my mother's line is Irish. So far I have not had much luck in the way of finding any more recent cousins in Ukraine, but I think that is probably due to the fact that so few Ukrainians have probably done the tests.

When you get your test results back, be sure to upload your DNA file to GEDMatch.com This will put you in a database pool of testers who have also tested with Ancestry and 23andMe. This will greatly increase your chances of finding cousins. Also, GEDMatch has a number of very powerful utilities for analyzing your DNA results.

All the best

Taras Monach

Comment

Originally posted by TerryM View Post
          My father was born in Bukovina in 1913 and came to Canada with his family in 1914, just a few months before the outbreak of WW1. Although they are ethnic Ukrainians, they always referred to themselves as Austrian, as they were born under the reign of the Austro-Hungarian empire.

I have done both the autosomal and yDNA test, as well as the mtDNA, although my mother's line is Irish. So far I have not had much luck in the way of finding any more recent cousins in Ukraine, but I think that is probably due to the fact that so few Ukrainians have probably done the tests.

When you get your test results back, be sure to upload your DNA file to GEDMatch.com This will put you in a database pool of testers who have also tested with Ancestry and 23andMe. This will greatly increase your chances of finding cousins. Also, GEDMatch has a number of very powerful utilities for analyzing your DNA results.

All the best

Taras Monach
          Of course I have no idea about your father ancestry, however, what many see today as fairly uniform Ukrainian population was not such 100 years ago.

In that particular region, a Ukrainian could have been a Hutsul https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutsuls or a member some other small relatively endogamous population from that area (e.g. Boykos). Quite possibly the Orthodox faith was the reason for receiving Ukrainian designation, regardless of actual heritage. For example, it is well documented in those areas that two brothers could have been a Ukrainian and Polish based entirely on their declared faith.

Mr W

Comment

And those small endogamous populations are not well represented (I think I may say that) at FTDNA.

Mr W

Comment

My paternal grandparents immigrated to western Canada in 1913 from western Ukraine (Galicia). Since there's a large population here of Ukrainians I have connected with some close relatives. My y-dna haplogroup is actually Scandinavian. The Vikings of course were prominent in the history of Rus as Ukraine was known as once.
              In various admixture tests I find vague and varying amounts of dna from all over Eurasia, which would make sense as there have been several waves of immigration of various ethnic groups westward from Asia towards Europe such as Scythians, Alans, Huns, Mongols etc.

Comment

A comment somewhat unrelated to the thread

Originally posted by cokie View Post
                [----] The Vikings of course were prominent in the history of Rus as Ukraine was known as once.
                In various admixture tests I find vague and varying amounts of dna from all over Eurasia, which would make sense as there have been several waves of immigration of various ethnic groups westward from Asia towards Europe such as Scythians, Alans, Huns, Mongols etc.
                There are hypothesis that vast areas of Central and Eastern Europe were on occasions without any populations.

That is the nomadic people, let's say Alans, moved through those vast areas, but created no settlements. There was nobody left behind when they moved westwards.

Consequently admixture from Alans and Huns could be minimal, if any at all.

Mongols moved into Eastern and Central Europe to sack and plunder. They were taking people with them. But here we are interested in prevalence of war rape at that time...

Mr W

P.S.
                I think it is difficult to estimate Scythians genetic input into modern Central and Eastern European population. I would consider it negligible, if any at all.

Comment

Originally posted by dna View Post
                  And those small endogamous populations are not well represented (I think I may say that) at FTDNA.

Mr W
                  I agree. In time we may find more people from these areas in the database, or at least their descendants, such as ourselves. I am getting two of my older generation paternal ancestors tested in the next few weeks, so as to get a bit further back. They are both in their 90s now and their parents were both born in Hylboka, Bukovina.

Comment

East Europe

I am on here looking for advice in genealogy. I wanted to know more about my ancestry so I took the Ancestry.com dna test and also Gedmatch.com. I am ethnically Polish living in America, and most of my family is still living in South Poland now. I didn't understand but Ukrainian was coming up a lot in oracle on gedmatch and also other regions were showing in gedmatch. Only thing I know about my family is that they were all living in regions of Lviv and Ivano-Frankivsk before WWII which used to be Polish/ Austro-Hungarian territory but is modern day Ukraine now and when these regions were overtaken by Nazi my family was displaced all over but mostly South Poland. I am looking for some help analyzing my results, I am no expert in genealogy. Below is my results. Hope to find my specific ethnicity admixture from someone who is expert or has knowledge in genealogy without having to pay thousands of $. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Ancestry DNA
                    99 East Europe
                    >1 Finland/Northwest Russia
                    >1 Scandinavia

MDLP World Gedmatch
                    49 North and East European
                    37 South and West European
                    8 Caucasus
                    5 Middle East
                    1 Arctic Amerindian

EUROGENES EU Test Gedmatch
                    30 South Baltic
                    21 Eastern Europe
                    18 North Central Europe
                    13 Atlantic
                    7 West Mediterranean
                    6 East Mediterranean
                    4 West Asian
                    1 East African

EUROGENES Hunter Gatherer vs Farmer Gedmatch
                    66 Baltic Hunter Gatherer
                    20 Mediterranean Farmer
                    9 Anatolian Farmer
                    3 Middle Eastern Herder
                    1 North Eurasian Hunter Gatherer
                    1 East African Pastoralist

HarappaWorld Gedmatch
                    55 Northeast Euro
                    22 Mediterranean
                    11 Caucasus
                    7 Baloch
                    2 Southwest Asian
                    2 Siberian
                    1 Pygmy

EUROGENES K36 Gedmatch
                    26 East Central European
                    17 Eastern European
                    11 Central European
                    11 Fennoscandian
                    8 Iberian
                    7 East Balkan
                    7 North Sea
                    6 French
                    3 North Caucasus
                    2 North Atlantic
                    1 Basque
                    1 Italian

Comment

Oracle results.

Using 3 populations approximation:
                      1 50% Russian-West +25% Serb_Serbia +25% Sorb @ 2.313637

Using 4 populations approximation:
                      1 Croat_BH + Finn_West + Ukrainian_Center + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.262931
                      2 Balt + Russian-West + Serb_Serbia + Slovak @ 2.268562
                      3 Croat + Kashub + Russian-Upper-Volga + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.301867
                      4 Belarusian-East + Russian-West + Serb_Serbia + Sorb @ 2.307216
                      5 Balt + Belarusian-East + Serb_Serbia + Slovak @ 2.309573
                      6 Russian-West + Russian-West + Serb_Serbia + Sorb @ 2.313637
                      7 Estonian + Estonian + Serb_Serbia + Serb_Serbia @ 2.313958
                      8 Austrian + Russian-West + Ukrainian_Center + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.318556
                      9 Finn_West + Pole + Serb_Serbia + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.331589
                      10 Russian-North-West + Russian-West + Serb_Serbia + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.335764
                      11 Belarusian-East + Croat_BH + Finn_West + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.336988
                      12 Belarusian_Russian + Finn_West + Serb_Serbia + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.344111
                      13 Finn_West + Mixed_East_Slav + Serb_Serbia + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.352682
                      14 Belarusian-East + Croat + Kashub + Russian-Upper-Volga @ 2.353293
                      15 Austrian + Belarusian-East + Ukrainian_Center + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.354281
                      16 Belarusian_West + Croat_BH + Finn_West + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.357578
                      17 Estonian + Serb_Serbia + Slovak + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.361655
                      18 Croat + Finn_West + Ukrainian_Center + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.364192
                      19 Russian-North-West + Russian-North-West + Serb_Serbia + Ukrainian_Center @ 2.364766
                      20 Balt + Croat + Estonian + Serb_Serbia @ 2.365540

Done.

Elapsed time 44.2014 seconds.

Comment

More oracle results.

Using 3 populations approximation:
                        1 50% LIT +25% Serbian +25% UA @ 2.052927

Using 4 populations approximation:
                        1 LIT + LIT + Serbian + UA @ 2.052927
                        2 LIT + LIT + PL + Serbian @ 2.115320
                        3 LIT + LIT + Serbian + Ukrainian-Russian @ 2.419791
                        4 Belorussian + Belorussian + LIT + Serbian @ 2.466385
                        5 Belorussian + LIT + LIT + Serbian @ 2.532578
                        6 Belorussian + LIT + Serbian + UA @ 2.533331
                        7 Belorussian + LIT + PL + Serbian @ 2.608598
                        8 PL + UA + UA + UA @ 2.632838
                        9 Belorussian + HU + LIT + UA @ 2.643390
                        10 LIT + LIT + Serbian + West_Russian @ 2.668698
                        11 EE + LIT + Serbian + UA @ 2.670500
                        12 PL + PL + UA + UA @ 2.672173
                        13 LIT + Northwest_Russian + Serbian + UA @ 2.700954
                        14 LIT + Northwest_Russian + PL + Serbian @ 2.701397
                        15 LIT + LIT + PL + RO @ 2.741407
                        16 HU + LIT + UA + UA @ 2.742204
                        17 Belorussian + EE + LIT + RO @ 2.789863
                        18 Belorussian + Belorussian + LIT + RO @ 2.805041
                        19 LIT + LIT + RO + UA @ 2.815989
                        20 UA + UA + UA + UA @ 2.825399

Done.

Elapsed time 0.0482 seconds.

Comment

Okay...

I think the biggest deterent to people following through with DNA research is how simply how date is interpreted with no example in "every day layman's (Laymen?) terms" that are easy enough for the common individual or ... let's say ... heck, folks like myself to follow.

1. But I'm not accusing anyone of anything, please don't take this the wrong way.

2. Thank you for answering questions, that's awesome, and people really appreciate it.

But I'm severely ADD, and have been since I reached High School. I have a hard time "just read the material and memorize it"ing. I lied. I can't do that. I can, however, usually learn something if I really want to and find any sense in what I see. At which point, get out of the way because by that point I have a better understanding of things than most people. My father told me in the early 70s to get into computers. I laughed. I'm now in computers. Self taught, no schooling at all, working on three massive projects for our local government trying to drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century...

So I limp along trying to understand the patterns, the relationships, the meanings and I get utterly lost.

I see how many people have done their tests and their kits are listed, and they never ever come back. They're left with an insurmountable wall of confusion.

My reason for posting this is two, well trifold.

1. To the OP, hang in there, this community has a lot of awesome people who will answer all your questions! By any chance to you show ancient ancestry in Yamnaya? If so, hello cousin!!!

2. To the the awesome people: dang you folks rock!

Thirdly, I hope a simpler method of teaching the mechanics, relationship of data and interpretation of all this can be found, it saddens me to see how many people take the DNA tests and never come back. I would imagine most of them are just overwhelmed and give up.

That said, and because of all the holidays that there are this time of year and I don't have time to list them all, allow me to bag them all in one shot: Happy Holidays to you all.

(yes, I still say Merry Christmas, but I get the whole "it's a big world out there" thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Michalzurakowski View Post
                            I wanted to know more about my ancestry so I took the Ancestry.com dna test and also Gedmatch.com. I am ethnically Polish living in America, and most of my family is still living in South Poland now.
                            Have you considered also taking a Y-DNA test, such as Y-DNA37 from FTDNA? (A coupon from this community spreadsheet may be applicable to reduce the price.) Y-DNA testing specifically investigates your patrilineage--your father's father's father's father [...].

Comment

Working...
                            X