How to order more than....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to order more than....

How do I order more than one kit in the same order. On the summer sale I am trying to order three kits for cousins but the system is only allowing me to order one kit at a time. Am I going to have to place three separate orders??

You asked the same question in another thread earlier today. I answered you here - http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...5&postcount=11.

Basically, you have to have to create three separate accounts, one for each cousin, and order from from within those accounts. I gave more details in the previous reply that I linked to.

Comment

Ahh, so sorry I didn't see your reply.

Yes, this is probably my 20th or so test I have ordered but it seems like the procedure is changing all the time.
      I really don't like ordering in three different orders when the kits are being sent to me at the same address. I live right outside of Houston and all three kits could be sent in one package to me and a lot of shipping would be saved.

The shipping has gone up astronomically over the years. . I know the shipping for the customer to send the kit back is part of it but I just sent a kit 1st class to a cousin and it was less than $2.00. Family Tree is charging $12.95 for one kit to be mailed to me and only 1st class postage for the person to mail it back. $12.95 is outlandish for the shipping. Actually, it is dishonest. It doesn't cost that much to mail a kit 1st class (not priority) to me and then to have 1st class return postage for the kit to FT. What's going on? I think that instead of raising the price of the kit itself they are ballooning the shipping charges (which really aren't shipping charges).

If I want to order one kit, five kits, ten kits I should be able to have them all sent to me in one package and with one shipping charge. The kits are tiny and very light.

Don't you think it's asinine for me to order three kits to be mailed to me and have to pay $12.95 shipping for each kit where I could get all three in one small package for $12.95?

What is the saying? Houston, we have a problem.
      Last edited by Tenn4ever; 5 August 2016, 07:03 PM. Reason: To add to post

Comment

Actually you can order all 3 kits at the same time. You still will be charged $12.95 per kit though. No, it is not simply the cost of shipping but the test kit itself. Last year it used to be $9.95, but FTDNA had to raise it as the Post Office raised their prices for their return postage to FTDNA. At least that is what FTDNA said.

To order all kits at the same time do this. Log onto your kit. Go to Cart. You will notice there is a plus sign in a circle at the bottom of the cart and at the bottom of the summary of the cart. It says "Add another kit". Click one of those to add a second kit. Make sure that kit is selected when you add the tests. If you add the two tests that are part of a bundle, it automatically gives you that discount.

Also you can order blank kits as MMaddi mentions. They don't charge you but you do need to pay for them before they process them for testing.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Contemplator View Post
          Actually you can order all 3 kits at the same time. You still will be charged $12.95 per kit though. No, it is not simply the cost of shipping but the test kit itself. Last year it used to be $9.95, but FTDNA had to raise it as the Post Office raised their prices for their return postage to FTDNA. At least that is what FTDNA said.

To order all kits at the same time do this. Log onto your kit. Go to Cart. You will notice there is a plus sign in a circle at the bottom of the cart and at the bottom of the summary of the cart. It says "Add another kit". Click one of those to add a second kit. Make sure that kit is selected when you add the tests. If you add the two tests that are part of a bundle, it automatically gives you that discount.

Also you can order blank kits as MMaddi mentions. They don't charge you but you do need to pay for them before they process them for testing.
          The problem is that she's trying to order a Family Finder test for three people under one kit number. As far as FTDNA's software is concerned, you can't have more than one Family Finder test under a kit number. This is why I told her in the other thread that she'd have to order each Family Finder test for her cousins under separate kit numbers, i.e., separate accounts.

If it's still possible to order blank kits for different people, that's the best way to handle what she wants to do. Then each test kit will have a separate kit number and password for the account and each cousin can use one of the kits. However, as I stated in the other thread, I'm not sure if FTDNA still allows customers to order multiple blank kits for use at a family reunion, etc.

Comment

Well she wants to order it all in one go rather than multiple separate orders per person being tested. The way I described let's her do just that while the kits will still be separate with their own kit numbers and passwords.

The blank kit option is not the best option for this if she wants to take advantage of the sale. The blank kits are just the kits with no test tied to them. Last time I ordered some was in January back when they were still $9.95 each. I haven't heard anything about them removing this option. You just need to use the contact form or call them to do it as the site won't have the option.

Comment

Well she wants to order it all in one go rather than multiple separate orders per person being tested. The way I described let's her do just that while the kits will still be separate with their own kit numbers and passwords.

The blank kit option is not the best option for this if she wants to take advantage of the sale. The blank kits are just the kits with no test tied to them. Last time I ordered some was in January back when they were still $9.95 each. I haven't heard anything about them removing this option. You just need to use the contact form or call them to do it as the site won't have the option.
              She described to us in the other thread that she did try to order three Family Finder tests when logged into one account. She wasn't allowed to do this. As I pointed out in my previous post, FTDNA does not allow customers to order more than one Family Finder test through the same account.

The best option is what you suggest in your second paragraph. She should call FTDNA and tell them she wants to order three kits for cousins and they can probably figure out the best way for her to do that. Their database software is not equipped to deal very well with requests that are out of the ordinary.

Comment

I think there is some confusion going on here. Yes, she was logged onto one kit while trying to order 3 Family Finder tests. She did not say she wanted them all tied to the same kit number just that she wanted to order them at the same time because they would be shipped to her anyways.

If you try what have I suggested (without actually finalizing the order), you can see for yourself that it is possible to order for multiple kits while logged onto one kit. It is the same thing as doing separate orders per kit. This way just does it in one go. It is not out of the ordinary, it is a built in feature to order more than one kit. I have used it before.

Comment

I think there is some confusion going on here. Yes, she was logged onto one kit while trying to order 3 Family Finder tests. She did not say she wanted them all tied to the same kit number just that she wanted to order them at the same time because they would be shipped to her anyways.

If you try what have I suggested (without actually finalizing the order), you can see for yourself that it is possible to order for multiple kits while logged onto one kit. It is the same thing as doing separate orders per kit. This way just does it in one go. It is not out of the ordinary, it is a built in feature to order more than one kit. I have used it before.
                  Trust me. The database software is programmed not to allow one account to order more than one Family Finder test. It doesn't matter if the multiple kits are going to separate addresses. As far as the software is concerned, one kit number equals one account equals one individual and an individual can only order Family Finder once.

She should just call FTDNA tomorrow to explain what she wishes to do, with the least effort and money involved. They'll tell her what's possible.
                  Last edited by MMaddi; 7 August 2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

That is the thing. While ordering those extra tests, they are not actually tied to the one kit you are logged in if you followed my instructions. Just look at these two images. Words were not enough, hopefully screenshots are?

I've seen other people post about trying to order tests for others and they don't seem to get that they can do it like this for some reason. I have done it myself. I know it works.
                    Attached Files

Comment

That is the thing. While ordering those extra tests, they are not actually tied to the one kit you are logged in if you followed my instructions. Just look at these two images. Words were not enough, hopefully screenshots are?

I've seen other people post about trying to order tests for others and they don't seem to get that they can do it like this for some reason. I have done it myself. I know it works.
                      OK. I finally stopped thinking like a "know it all" and tried the method you described in your post above - http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...04&postcount=4.

I found that I could order test kits for other people through my account. I didn't go all the way through the process to the point where I chose a test, but I did see that it had a greyed out area labeled "Add another kit." Clicking on that popped up a window where it asked me to provide the name of the person for whom I was ordering the kit.

However, I think it's still the case that you will be charged $12.95 for each kit ordered, even if they're all being sent to the same address. Someone explained in another thread what goes into the $12.95 cost for getting a test kit sent - see http://forums.familytreedna.com/show...19&postcount=4.

Thanks for educating me and others about how to order multiple kits at the same time. Sometimes navigating the FTDNA website can be a daunting experience due to the lack of instructions.

Comment

No problem, and yes they do charge you $12.95 per kit. If you looked at my second screenshot from my previous post you will see the shipping for 3 kits.

Comment

Working...
                        X